Michigan-Detroit

Mini-moon ideas?

Hello ladies!

I wanted to pick your brains about ideas for us to go for a few days after the wedding just to get away for a minute. We aren't taking our honeymoon until our first anniversary (just bought a house, student loans, expensive wedding, blah blah blah). 

However, we'd both took the week after the wedding off of work and we'd like to go away for 2-3 nights somewhere semi-close just to get out of the house and relax.

I was thinking Soaring Eagle because we both like it but we've been there a couple times already and I'd like to do something new. We're open to drive anywhere in Michigan and northern Ohio.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Mini-moon ideas?

• crhein26crhein26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about Traverse City or even Petosky/Harbor Springs area?  I bet it will be beautiful there that time of year.  I know that there are a ton of condos that you can rent around the ski areas that they rent for fairly cheap in the off season.  The Grand Traverse Resort is a beautiful place but kind of pricey so I guess it's depends on what you are looking to spend.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • edited December 2011
    Mackinac!!!!! I think Traverse city has some cool wineries too if you go that route!!
  • edited December 2011
    What about Toronto? I was considering that in the beginning - but we found a awesome deal to hit the Bahamas for a few days for a mini moon!

This may sound childish, but what about Kalahari in Ohio? They have an AWESOME spa! We go to Kalahari every year, so I am very partial to that place :)
  • shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do Mackinac Island!!
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Petoskey! My fiance and I were there a couple of years ago and they have a cute downtown. We stayed at the hotel on this link:

http://www.staffords.com/perryhotel

It's right near the water, and they have an Irish pub downstairs

Another idea is Saugatuck which has always reminded me of New England. They have a lot of artsy-fartsy stores in their downtown area.
  • edited December 2011
    The Traverse City area in Michigan.  Tons of stuff to do in little towns nearby (Suttons Bay, Leland, Northport).  If you're into wineries and wine tasting, Old Mission Penninsula has a bunch of wineries for tastings with really great views.  You could almost make a whole day of that!
  • edited December 2011
    Kalahari is really nice if you like water parks.

Fi and I went there and stayed in their upgraded room (not the Hut) and it has a fireplace/kitchen/separate bedroom.

It was really nice.
  • edited December 2011
    Kalahari is really nice if you like water parks.

Fi and I went there and stayed in their upgraded room (not the Hut) and it has a fireplace/kitchen/separate bedroom.

It was really nice.

Yayy! Love that place :)
    It's called a "Lodge Suite"
  • edited December 2011
    I would see about renting a house on one of the lakes up by traverse city area...

My FI and I are planning on staying at Torch lake for 4-5 days it's so nice to be able to go out on the lake and relax.
  • edited December 2011
    Toronto - 4 hours,
    Windsor Wine Country - 1.5hours (it's fab - we just went a few weeks ago),
    Chicago - 4 hours,
    Indianaplis - 4 hours
    Bed and Breakfasts all over the state - including a few in Ann Arbor - various times,
    Puttin Bay, Ohio - I'm shady on the time - but I think it's about 3.5-4 hours (maybe shorter) - it's a great resort town,
    Lake Geneva, Wisconsin  - they have tons of 4 and 5 star hotels and resorts. - about 6.5 hours.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Visit Detroit.Weddings.com

I'm a guest blogger on 12Kwedding.com
  • leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Petoskey!  Such a beautiful place!!  There's gambling there, too.  Fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely Petoskey/Harbor Springs area. I spent every summer of my childhood up there, and it's so beautiful and there's tons to see in Emmet County.

In Harbor Springs, you'll need to go to Gurney's liquor store and get sandwiches (they make their bread fresh every morning, you can smell it down the street). Go to Tom's Mom's Cookies (across the street from the library), they have the best cookies in the world. Turkey's has amazing pizza, but don't neglect their turkey sandwiches.

In Petoskey, you'll need to have lunch at Julienne Tomatoes. Everything there is locally grown/made, and it's to die for. JTomatoes is actually catering our wedding. You should also get muffins or bearclaws from Johan's Bakery, their baked goods are incredible.

For shopping, of course check out the downtown areas in both cities. If you're there during the summer, find out if Moving Mates (just north of Harbor Springs on State Rd) is open. They have so much stuff there, and it's amazingly high quality and affordable.

If it's open, you really should check out both the museum in Petoskey and the Shay House/Workshop in Harbor Springs. Such neat buildings with interesting exhibits. The downtown waterfront in Petoskey is gorgeous, you'll defnitely have some photo-ops near the waterfall.

Drive a little north to the Cross in the Woods (pretty cool even if you're not religious), and Mackinaw City is only about 45 minutes away for an afternoon trip. If you're there in winter, you can snowshoe, ski, or snowmobile. If you're there in summer/fall/spring, you can do watersports, hiking, golf, etc.

You can PM me if you want hotel recommendations :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for all of the suggestions!!!! I am going to write them all down and research everyone!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    DH and I just got back from our Mini-Moon in Harbor Springs/Petosky!

I also vacationed up there all the time as a kid (we vacationed so much my parents finally just bought a cabin at Nubs Nob when I was sixteen).  DH proposed up there, so we decided it would be perfect for our honeymoon.

It was wonderful...we chilled out on the beach at Petosky State Park, went out to dinner at the Perry Hotel in the rose garden, went into Harbor Springs and got some sandwiches at Gurneys and fudge at Kilwins (you have to get fudge!), went hiking up on Nubs Nob, and then just chilled out.  It was perfect.  So relaxing.

You can also take a drive up M 119 which is a beautiful scenic route, and eventually will bring you to Wilderness State Park and Mackinac Island (US 31 is the quick way but not as pretty).  There are some cool hotels to stay at in Mackinac City and in St. Ignace that also would be good options if you are on a budget but want to be closse to the Island.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards