Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

NWR- Sangria Recipe

My FMIL is from Spain, so she has generously passed her sangria recipe to me. It is so delicious. GMC was talking about sangria, and I figured maybe others would like it, so I thought I'd post. Enjoy!

First cut up fruit- it can be any fruit IMO the best combo are apples, oranges, bananas, pineapple but you really can use whatever. I've substituted pears for apples too.

Put the diced fruit into a bowl and pour brandy (she uses the cheapest there is) and about a half a cup of sugar over the fruit. The exact measurements depend how much fruit you have and how many servings you are making. Just eyeball it, be generous and you can't be wrong!

Put the fruit in the freezer until at least frozen, but you can leave it for a while. I usually make a big batch of fruit then make sangria a few times.

Take frozen fruit, put into pitcher or punch bowl, add red wine (cheap! any red wine), then a heavy handed splash of 7-Up. If you were light on your brandy with the fruit add a little more (or add more if you like it a little stronger), add sugar to taste.

Voila! Sangria!
RT + JB
Wedding Countdown Ticker
The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.

Re: NWR- Sangria Recipe

• edited December 2011
    Also, if you don't want it to be "too strong" I would just add more 7-Up.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011
    Oooh, thank you! I've never heard of it made this way. Sounds wonderful (even at 9:45 in the morning!)
  • edited December 2011
    Yum, that sounds so good, do you know if you could use white wine with that receipe?  I'm not a big fan of red, but really enjoy white sangria.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    You maybe good, although I'm not sure how the brandy would be. Too be honest, this is pretty sweet and my friends who either HATE red wine, or hate any wine love it b/c it is more like a cocktail than wine.

Caution though, it can produce headaches similar to red wine headaches. :)
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    could- not good... man, I forget things and misspell... I stink...
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YUM, that sounds delicious!  Thanks for sharing.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heather- this is a killer recipe for white sangria:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sangria-flora

My favorite!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing!  The recipe sounds delicious and refreshing!
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing!! It sounds AMAZING! I can't wait to try it!!!!! :)
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I make it the easy way - I buy a bottle or two of 'Madria Sangria' from the liquor store and just chop up some fruit (I use apples, strawberries, pineapple, and mango) and add together in a pitcher!! It's quick and easy... definitely not the 'authentic' way but it works! I can't wait to try this recipe though!!! Thanks again for sharing!!

• edited December 2011
    Sounds yummy! I usually take the lazy route: buy a bottle, drink it as is :)

Vacation

• phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Recipe looks wonderful!

To all the Philly ladies-have any of you ever been to Cafe Apamate? It's a tapas place on South Street. It's a BYOB and if you wanted they would make up sangria out of the wine you brought. It was some of the strongest I had ever had!! I like Cafe Amada more but that is way more $$.
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No! I've never been! I'll have to check it out! I ADORE sangria and love trying any and every kind I can!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards