Wedding Reception Forum

Ideas for a "non dance party" reception

My FI and I, and about 50% of our guests are not big dancers. We will be having live music during our reception, and do still plan to do a first dance/father daughter dance, but don't really care to pressure people to dance if they are not intersted. Any ideas for other reception ideas to fill in the time after dinner.

Re: Ideas for a "non dance party" reception

• My fiance really wanted to do karaoke...only a few need to do it, the rest can watch and be entertained. Just a thought.
  • I don't remember the last time I was "entertained" by karaoke.  Usually I'm painfully embarassed for the people participating.   

Also, any entertainment shoule be provided by the HOSTS, not the GUESTS.   But I agree that not everyone needs to dance to feel entertained.   Most adults are fine with good food, a place to sit, and conversation with others.
    DSC_9275
  • I don't think people will feel pressured to dance.  I would make sure your band understands your crowd and that you and your new H don't plan to dance that much.  That may affect their music choices, and you definitely don't want them calling people out to get on the dance floor--if they are a good band, they should pick up on this at the reception, but a little advanced notice is good.  We spoke with our bandleader in advance about the ages of our guests and that kind of thing, and our dance floor was packed all afternoon, so maybe that helped them select appropriate music.
  • We went to a wedding with karaoke once and it was AWFUL. This was back when I was 13 and I still remember how weird it was.
    You could add in a photobooth if you want another activity, but for the most part, people will just entertain themselves by visiting with others.
  • You can have music without dancing, or a photobooth.

But don't do karaoke or try to come up with "activities."  Most guests who attend weddings want, aside from dancing, to just eat, drink, mingle, and socialize.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-for-a-non-dance-party-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:992625a4-2db6-441c-91f7-fd7d9526b522Post:48fdade8-de3c-4f08-b564-615c4c87a308">Ideas for a "non dance party" reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I, and about 50% of our guests are not big dancers. We will be having live music during our reception, and do still plan to do a first dance/father daughter dance, <u>but don't really care to pressure people to dance if they are not intersted.</u> Any ideas for other reception ideas to fill in the time after dinner.
    Posted by Rayanna&Chris[/QUOTE]

no one ever pressures guests to dance-they do it on their own.
    have music and those that want to dance will. those who choose not to wont.
    you dont need time fillers if you ahve the music. migle with your guest. they will mingle and catch up and have a great time.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-for-a-non-dance-party-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:992625a4-2db6-441c-91f7-fd7d9526b522Post:22605d46-7013-4133-a873-3a758b1405fa">Re: Ideas for a "non dance party" reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance really wanted to do karaoke...only a few need to do it, the rest can watch and be entertained. Just a thought.
    Posted by enid08[/QUOTE]

just somethign to think about-as a guest-i have NO intrest in seeing your 3rd cousin that i dont know sing the beibs. i want to see you and your new husband. karaoke is like nails down a blackboard. imo-skip it.

• Don't do karaoke.   This is a wedding, not a lounge act.   I agree with PP.  People will entertain themselves. The 50% of your guests that do love to dance, will.  The other 50% will talk, mingle, have a drink and watch people dance.    Not everyone at our wedding danced.  A lot did, but there were plenty who sat at their tables and talked.
  • These probably wouldn't be appropriate for a more formal reception but, we're going to have a table with some games on it, varying from kids games for the little ones to social/party games for adults. My friend had lawn games at her reception like corn hole, ladder golf, etc. I figure no one is being forced to do anything, a table with games in the corner won't make any non-game playing people uncomfortable and the worst that could happen is no one is interested and we just brought games out for nothing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are asking our gutarist to play music we pre-select, he is acting as DJ as well. We don't dance and don't want to try. We plan to give him a list of music we like and music we don't want him to play. Needless to say disco is out and led zepplin and oingo boingo are in.

good luck to you, whatever you do it is your day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards