New Jersey

What are your favorite cocktail hour and viennese display foods?

My venue is very willing to add and/or substitute different food items for the cocktail hour and the viennese display.  As it is, FI and I love what both menus include, but I'd love to hear what your favorite foods are for both of those parts of a reception (particularly for a summer wedding) just in case we do decide to add or change some things.

Thanks!  :-)
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What are your favorite cocktail hour and viennese display foods?

• goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The ice cream sundae station was a big hit at our wedding, along with the chocolate fountain with different items to dip for the viennese hour.     I went to a wedding one time that had a popcorn popper, like at a carnival which was cool, as well as cotton candy..I had never seen that before.

For the cocktail hour, sushi is always popular.    Other than that, the last wedding I went to had a sliders station which was really cool and they were delicious.  Other than that, I feel like it is always standard cocktail hour food.
  • altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also went with sushi as an add on for my cocktail hour, we already had a fresh mozzerella station (homemade and hand mized in front of you), 2 pastas (action station) and 2 carving stations. . .it seems a lot of places have a baked potato/mashed potato bar (with all the fixings) which Im not a fan of personally but a lot of people seem to love it

Viennese; My friend's wedding had a nutella crepe action station and they were FAB! I went with Bananas Foster flambe for mine, im a big fan of action stations and I also I love fresh zeppoles.
  • Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mini slider station! It was a hit the line was long!  For V hour the chocolate fountain or bananas fountain.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Cocktail hour: stuffed mushrooms, scallops wrapped in bacon, sliders, lamb chops, beef carving station, penne with vodka station, and I'd love to see a mashed potato bar someday.

Viennese: chocolate fountain and a really good wedding cake
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cocktail Hour : Seafood Station/Display, dim sum

V Hour- Mini Lava cakes, Sundae bar- I dislike just having finger pastries and different types of cakes- I like something a little different.
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_favorite-cocktail-hour-viennese-hour-foods?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:eb6dc000-ddf4-4ef9-8e65-e03c1fbe3e75Post:9e260664-544b-4c44-b1aa-4f20ab579e0f">Re: What are your favorite cocktail hour and viennese display foods?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Viennese: chocolate fountain and a really good wedding cake
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

Funny you say a good wedding cake.....I have never ever eaten the wedding cake when there is a Viennese hour because everything else is so good.   I was thinking just bypass the wedding cake since you have the other stuff..but you have to have some kind of wedding cake I guess..LOL
  • Babycakes SEBabycakes SE member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I heard potato bars are becoming big :o)  Sundae bar sounds fun too

image 291 Invited
    image 140 Ready to Party image 14 Fail image137 testing my patience
    RSVP Date: April 30
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_favorite-cocktail-hour-viennese-hour-foods?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:eb6dc000-ddf4-4ef9-8e65-e03c1fbe3e75Post:1b0ed7c0-bd94-47d1-9e67-6abec405d766">Re: What are your favorite cocktail hour and viennese display foods?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I heard potato bars are becoming big :o)  Sundae bar sounds fun too
    Posted by Babycakes SE[/QUOTE]

It's funny you guys should say that...  My friend Jen was telling me the other day that two friends who are getting married soon were discussing the mashed potato bar (one is having it, and the other isn't) -- Jen and I were saying that we were surprised to hear that people were having them because we thought they had gone out of style in like 2004.  I swear that every wedding I went to in 2003 and 2004 had the mashed potatoes in martini glasses at cocktail hour (martini glasses were really in back then I think because of Sex and the City).  But I don't think I've seen a mashed potato bar since then.

I really like the idea of an ice cream sundae bar, but I went to one wedding that had one (and did not have a Viennese even) and nobody seemed to go for it.   Not sure why -- I think we were just too stuffed and about to go drink/dance anyway!  That may not be the case if the wedding has a Viennese though because people take a break for those.  I went to a wedding that had fresh doughnuts, and I really liked those.

I know people really like I'm not a big cocktail hour person so I don't really have any preferences there!
  • Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Most people love the cocktail franks...lol. I am not a huge seafood person, but everyone raved about the seafood display we had. Always a pasta station...I love pasta. For dessert, chocolate fountain, sundae bar and zeppoles were the big hits at mine.

BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We had a mashed potato bar at our RD and it was a big hit. Trendy or not, I love mashed potatoes!  We had mac n cheese as part of the BBQ station and I drool every time I see it on the video.  I also love pigs in a blanket and anything with goat cheese. 

For dessert, I love eclairs, carrot cake, and a chocolate fountain. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards