Moms and Maids
Options

Mom's ideas for shower favors... oy vey...

Okies...
Here have been Mom's ideas for shower favors...
Kitchen shears.
Mini rolling pins.
Jars of straight pins.

I understand I don't get to plan my shower, but there will be children present.  Am I wrong to be squeamish at the potential for bloodshed and/or hematomas that these favors offer???

*sigh*
What's wrong with Hershey's kisses in cello bags, I ask you???
December 18, 2010!!! Never thought I would be a winter bride; just hoping we don't get snowed in until AFTER the wedding!

Re: Mom's ideas for shower favors... oy vey...

• Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mini rolling pins? I'm little confused with what a guest could use it for, she sounds like she's being a little to excited with trying to come up with unique favors. Most of the time candy is much more enjoyable favor to get then actual things to take with you. 
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you can just gently remind her that there will be children present and so there shouldn't be anything at the shower that they could hurt themselves on.  But I would imagine that the shears or straight pins would be packaged safely and would only present a problem if opened on the spot, which most people should have the good sense not to do.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why not just do M&M's or candy in your wedding colors wrapped in little tulle bags? Edible is always good.
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Sounds as if your mom is perhaps trying to have a themed shower??  Is she having a kitchen shower?  If that is the case and she is trying to tie the favor into the theme.....how about buying bulk wooden spoons (she can even paint them to match decor), putting candy into the bowl of the spoon, and then wrapping that up in a little tulle or clear cellophane?

It's sweet that she is so enthusiastic!  I can be totally lame----and my daughter always has to gently "reign" me in and bring me back to reality!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Candy is a much better way.  And I have seen bridal shower's where the favors are Ring Pops, which I think is unique.  Plus it's kid friendly (maybe a little sticky, but kids love them nonetheless).
  • Options
    pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a question - how many people want a jar of straight pins? I could totally use some right now for an arts and crafts project I'm doing, but most people really don't need it. 

Anyways, yeah, I really like the wooden spoon idea. Here is how I would approach this
    "Mom, I really like your favor ideas, but I don't think that everyone would appreciate them. Also, I'm concerned about the kids hurting themselves. I read about this really cute idea online, maybe we could get together one night with a few cocktails and make them - just the two of us." 
    I know my mom would love the one on one time. If your mom is anything like my mom, she will be completely unable to resist the "me and mommy time" angle. 
  • Options
    donnaoneilldonnaoneill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe just make separate favors for the children depending on their age? I think a child would be bored to death at a shower that's not all about them. The mini rolling pins maybe not be so useful, but like mentioned, it might be going with the shower theme. And to my understanding, I always thought shower favors were handed out after the shower? So the shears shouldn't be an issue, and they will most likely be packaged safely. Not sure what to think about the jar of pins. IMO, I always hate getting candy as favors because I can go to the store and buy hersheys anytime, and people who try to watch their weight often give them away because they can't have candy. A lot of people in my family are on diets that restrict candy and because they are diabetic, so candy is kind of a no-go anyways. I think the kitchen shears are a cool idea because they are actually useful when I cook!
    "And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards