Rhode Island
Options

Hotels in Newport

Hi Everyone,

I'm from NYC and am having my wedding in Newport. All of my guests will be needing hotel accommodations. Any recommendations  for a hotel or Inn in the area? I will have about 100 guests (probably about 50 rooms) and want everyone to, hopefully, be at the same place, so we could do group events throughout the weekend, BUT I don't want to stay at a Marriott or Hyatt or some other chain that could be anywhere. Any suggestions for a place with local charm that would be big enough? So far, I am considering Newport Beach Hotel and Suites and Oceancliff. 

Re: Hotels in Newport

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The Hotel Viking immediately pops up in my mind! It's gorgeous and vintage and Newport!
    http://www.hotelviking.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do agree that the Marriott is a very run of the mill Marriott but I think that the Hyatt offers something more than your general Hyatt hotel.  It is right on the water and it has a very "resort" feel to it.  There is an outdoor salt water pool and an outdoor restaurant where you can have food (grill type food) and drinks.  So, I wouldn't write it off your list if you haven't yet seen it because you may feel differently about it.

With that said, I agree with the pp about the Viking.  It has a lot of old Newport charm but it is a good sized hotel so you wouldn't have any issue fitting all of your guests there. 

As far as the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites....I am using that as one of the cheaper hotel blocks for my guests.  It is a decent hotel but the location is not ideal if your guests will want to walk around downtown Newport.  There is no shuttle to the downtown area either so if your guests want to do dinner in town they will have to either walk about 2 miles or take a cab.  Parking is very expensive, especially in the summer. 

I don't know if Castle Hill has enough rooms to accomodate all of your guests.  If they do, that would be an amazing place to have everyone.  The rooms will be at least $400 plus if your wedding is during the summer. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no, I made a mistake....you said Oceancliff, not Castle Hill!  Sorry about that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really liked the rooms at Oceancliff but my only worries would be that it is out of the way so your guests would have to drive into Newport. Even Newport hotel and suites would probably be more enjoyable for guests because they would have the beach and cliff walk across the street. The drive into Newport isn't that bad from Newport Suites and pretty easy whereas I think it is kind of easy to get lost out by Oceancliff (of course this could just be a problem for me). The other thing about Oceancliff is that it is basically a wedding factory...they do two weddings a day on peak summer weekends so it might be difficult to block off enough rooms. Of course if you are having the wedding at Oceancliff it would be really convenient for guests to stay in the same place as the wedding. Other than Hotel Viking i'm not aware of any other Inns that could accomodate about 50 rooms. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about the mill street inn?  It is right downtown and has over 20 rooms.  I also think that the rooms are suites so people could split to bring costs down.  Also, there is the pearls of Newport B and B.  We are using them for our close friends and wedding party.  They have 15 rooms and 9 suites that all have pull outs.  I also think that the Ivy Lodge B and B has begun renting out their whole property- not sure how many rooms.  
  • Options
    JessiTessJessiTess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lisa, just sent you a private message.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are some wonderful B&B's in downtown Newport and you maybe able to get enough close together to accomidate all your guests.  I booked out Pearls of Newport for my wedding weekend in Oct and they have 15 rooms most of which are 2 room suites. Right on the same street and accross the street is The Black Duck and Mill Street Inns.  I'm so excited about Pearls, they love wedding blocks and they have a special room they give to the brides and girls that morning to get ready.  They're a block from Thames Street so your guests could park their car for the weekend and enjoy the city on foot.  Having folks stay at a B&B is a great Newport experience not to mention if you want to do a Sunday brunch after the wedding is easy and for the most part already built into the cost of the rooms. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea I ruled out Oceancliff for my wedding because I thought it had a wedding factory vibe- I think I'm going to go with Newport Beach Hotel and Suites and I probably need one less pricey option. I'm assuming the rooms will be over $200 a night in Oct. which is fine for some, but I think most people will want something less than $200/night. Any suggestions there? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards