June 2012 Weddings

"ya better run" "get out while you still can" "keys are in the car" .

Hey all!

How many of you have sat and listened to family and friends give your FI a hard time about how there is still a possibility of escape?  The jokes this week and last have become unyielding.. just totally constant! 

Now, I know it's all good-natured and just kinda part of it, and I'm certainly not upset or worried or anything, but I find these kinds of "dodge the bullet" jokes to be really irritating.  Can I get a hell yeah from any other brides? 

Why is wedding culture all about joking with the groom (who-more likely than not-intiiated the wedding planning process) about running away?! 

Just something that has annoyed me a bit here recently.. why is that marriage is supposed to be "the end of the world" for men, but all women ever hoped and dreamed of?

The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

Re: "ya better run" "get out while you still can" "keys are in the car" .

• TeepTeep member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    It was the opposite with us, everyone kept telling me I still had time to get out. It was really annoying. Especially from people who didn't really know him, or didn't really know me that well. I think it was mostly because we're still pretty young (23 & 24)
  • Because men are supposed to be pigs who want to sleep with anything with tits and a heartbeat, and marriage destroys THE DREAM.  Whereas women are supposed to want to be enslaved to a kitchen for the rest of their lives, cleaning and cooking and babymaking, and marriage gives us the freedom to do that.

DUH.  Get with the program, Tara!  If you haven't learned this already, you have no right getting married ;)

In all seriousness, if these jokes were made to my H before the wedding, I'm glad I didn't hear them; I would have gladly decked someone.  I heard a couple of them about a year or so in advance, and they were kind of funny at that point; but that close to the wedding - nope.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • yep- we hear it a lot. its annoying, but it doesnt really bother me. I laugh it off. I know they arent serious.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We haven't experienced this, but pretty much without fail, everytime we see FI's dad he jokingly says, "What are you doing with a bum/insert negative word here." It drives me INSANE! I know he thinks he's being cute, but anyone would be lucky to be with FI and I don't find it amusing in the slightest.
  • I couldn't agree with you more Tara, it drives me INSANE!  Those little cake toppers with the bride dragging the groom really also annoy me for the same reasons.  HE ASKED to do this, why does everyone like to pretend he's begin pushed into it?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ya-better-run-get-out-while-you-still-can-keys-are-in-the-car-and-other-such-jokes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:8641d010-0014-4142-9f1b-f46e7021e74fPost:b02423ce-b505-4e01-95d0-6c4118467db2">Re: "ya better run" "get out while you still can" "keys are in the car" ... and other such jokes</a>:
    [QUOTE]yep- we hear it a lot. its annoying, but it doesnt really bother me. I laugh it off. I know they arent serious.
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • H's grandma spend the two days before the ceremony letting both of us know that we still had time to run and when the other wasn't around asking us if the other had already run away.  It was annoying, but it was grandma, so oh well.  H said she seemed out of it overall, so we forgive her Wink
  • We were at a friend's wedding a couple of weeks ago, and my H's friend from high school (who just got engaged) asked if our engagement was an "ultimatum" and then said that his was. How cute. :\

I have had the opposite problem from OP. People kept asking me at the wedding if I was going to run away. It doesn't bother me though because it was all friends and family joking.
  • I think people who say this stuff are telling you A LOT about their own relationships and what they think of marriage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards