Ohio-Toledo

Wedding Dress re-styling...seamstress recommendations?

Hi, I'm getting married in a year and a few months, and am planning to wear my mom's wedding dress.  I'd like to honor her memory (she passed away when I was little), so I'd like to wear this dress...or at least some version of it.  First off, it is several sizes too big, so it will be a job for the seamstress to make it fit (it's a size 10-12 right now, and I'm a size 2).  Also, it is a Victorian style, with ruffles and lace and a high collar.  Everything from the waist down (A-line, train) is beautiful, and it would have been exactly what I would have picked myself.  However, all the lace and ruffles going on from the waist up is too much and is too costume-y.  And the lace itches.

I have some ideas about how to re-style the dress--if the seamstress is good at his/her job, they should be able to do it--but my question is, how do I find someone that has this kind of expertise?  A seamstress who specializes in wedding dresses, particularly re-styling older ones?  If anyone else has had this same issue, let me know what you did.

I'll be getting married in the NW Ohio area, though I live in Missouri right now, so I'd plan to get the dress done during weekends I'd be home in Ohio.

Thanks!

Re: Wedding Dress re-styling...seamstress recommendations?

• edited December 2011
    There is a seamstress here in Defance, OH that is wonderful.  I know she does the alterations for the Bridal Shop here, and she own a seamstress store, called Sewing Express.
  • MerinMerin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a wonderfulu way to honor your mother's memory!  :):)

I would very highly recommend Pam Thomas - 419-893-4696
    She's truly awesome and her prices are good as well. :)
    Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • edited December 2011
    I second Pam Thomas... I'm just having a hem and bustle done to my dress, but Pam is SO nice and knowledgable.  She really puts you at ease and knows what she's doing!
  • wifeytobzwifeytobz member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what are pam's prices like? david's quoted me 65 to bring my dress in a little at the bust, 45 for a bustle and 120 for hemming. any idea a ballpark price what pam would charge?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards