Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Keeping kids entertained at reception

We are going to have kids at our reception. My FI comes from a big family and has a lot of neices and nephews and we want them to be included. I want to have a nice but casual reception so I would like for the kids to be included in the fun. What are some ideas to keep them entertained?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Keeping kids entertained at reception

• Options
    Well, you can:

1) Offer meals for them based on their likes
    2) Play some music/dances that they would enjoy, maybe have a special dance for people under a certain age (just don't have too many special dances)
    3) Have crayons and other art supplies that aren't too messy in a special area
    4) Have a chaperoned party room for them with activities, games, toys, etc. that they like or can bring with them (this would depend on your budget and whether or not their parents would be willing to allow them to be entertained in a separate room supervised by someone they may not know-sometimes parents won't go for that).
    5) Talk to their parents to get more ideas.  I'd actually do this first.
  • Options
    kimberlyr22kimberlyr22 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013

We had about twelve kids (4-12) at our reception and I can tell you what they loved the most:

They loved the dancing and gave the DJ more requests than he had time to play (kid friendly DJ is important),they loved the popcorn machine, and they loved the sweets table (cookies, brownies, etc). 

We also did a kid-friendly garter and bouquet toss -- all the girls got lollipop bouquets and boys got candy necklace "garters".  These were a HUGE hit.

We also did a guest "vote" for who (bride or groom) got smashed with cake during the cake cutting (using vases and beads), and I know four or five kids who did nothing for 2.hours but rig that vote back and forth.  Kids are entertained so easily.

It's possible they all left hopped up sugar, but I guarantee they all had a great time.  And we got tons of fun kid pictures in our wedding photos.

photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • Options
    nothing. they'll make their own fun.

• Options
    It's not your job to entertain the children.  They are attending an adult event, they need to adapt to that.  Their parents can bring along small toys, etc if they think their children will need to be entertained.
  • Options
    I found on Oriental Trading some great kids/wedding themed item. They have wedding themed coloring book w/crayons. They also had lunch bag style bags that had a stick bride & groom on it that was black & white (which gave the kids another thing to color). They also sell matching cups which I got because I was concerned that the kids might not be able to hold the glassware.

I know it wasn't my job to entertain the kids, but from what I could tell the kids seemed to be having fun & they seemed excited to get their bag of goodies (they also had fruit snacks & a small bag of pretzels in them) I had the bags out at the church too, because I figured if the kids were happy coloring or not hungry, they would be quiet during church. Worked on all the kids except for my nieces newborn...lol
  • Options
    As volunteer teachers, my fiancee and I have about 30 kids invited along with their parents.  We know it's not our job to entertain them, but I plan on having some things for them to do, especially since it kind of goes with our picnic theme.  We will have a cotton candy maker, popcorn machine (borrowed from church), and a little craft table.  Our menu is kid friendly as it stands (we're doing a "build your own" sandwich bar and salads) so I'm not gonna fret over that.  

We are also ending things at about 8:30, since our venue closes at 9 (hey it's free, so I'm not gonna complain about that) and I know that the parents will appreciate that.  I want our wedding to celebrate what we are about, and that's just one of the things we love the most. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the opinions! There are some really great ideas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards