Not Engaged Yet

I GIVE IN! Give it to me bluntly... P90x users.

am I going to die doing the P90x program?

I wasn't going to post this but the more I think about it the more I want to know what I'm getting myself into.  A while ago a friend of mf mine offered to order me the P90x DVDs and equipment for insanely cheap.  So Danish Man decided to take her up on the offer and so in less than a week the DVDs, resistance bands and pull up bar should be arriving.  Now I have read what some of the ladies on here have thought of it and what they have done.  Danish Man is serious as a heart attack about sticking to the program where he even stated that if we miss a day we have to put $2 into the money jar.  I think I might die.... how hard or tough was it to stick to the program.  I mean I've been through boot camps, trained for obstacle runs, and I consider myself some what active and know my way around a weight room, but I'm a bit apprehensive about this.  Elannis?.... you there?  Tiger?  Elle?  Anyone......

Side note I am pretty self conscious about working out and so there's the issue of doing this side by side with the Danish Man.  So that's another issue I need to work through.  He gets the easy road, he only has to deal with a little belly fat the man can get into shape pretty quickly.  I on the other hand have a uphill climb.  How do you ladies who have done it stick to it? 

Re: I GIVE IN! Give it to me bluntly... P90x users.

• I haven't done P90x but I've watched BF do it quite a few time. I bet you are totally up for it.

• I haven't done it, but if it's at all similar to Insanity, it will be H-A-R-D and totally worth it!!

I almost threw up three times just doing the fitness test for Insanity on Tuesday. I still can't walk straight because of how sore I am, but I know that if I stick with it, it will be totally worth it. For example, there came a point around week 7 that FI flicked my underarm while I was showing him my 'guns' and NOTHING WOBBLED. Hell, that minute alone was worth all the blood (a little brushburn on my knee), sweat (more than I can quantify), tears (yes, there were a few of those, too).

YOU CAN DO IT!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My H does the workouts, but has not religiously done them in order or whatever. Ive done one cardio session with him. It was hard. He looks great though, and used to be a smoker and was way out of shape... So I think you'll be fine. And totally worth it.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for the confidence.  Let's see how far I can get.  I think the official start date is Jan 9.  so if I stick to the plan I should be done April 15th and just in time for my first dress fitting.  Goal to work towards I guess. 
  • It's hard, but it's the one workout that I actually enjoyed and stuck with for an extended period of time.
    Anniversary
  • I've done P90x a couple of times, the whole routine all the way through. Tony is a bit chatty so that gets annoying and is hard to listen to, but I LOVE the workouts. I was just actually going to start it back up after the New Year. Tony may be full of himself, but he has a lot of good information and if you can stand him, he's actually pretty funny.

As for the workouts, expect pain the first week, but the X Stretch really does help loosen you up and the second week won't be as bad. I couldn't walk or sit or laugh or do anything without pain the first week, but it's an awesome program and if you follow it, you WILL see results.

The Yoga can be a bit hard too, but if you can get past the first 5-10 mins of warmup and then the 45ish minutes of astangas, you're pretty much good. The rest is stretching and abs.

Cardio is fun because it's a lot of different stuff, and Kenpo is pretty fun too. If you have weak knees, I'd recommend knee braces, modifying or skipping the Plyo because it's all jumping. I was ok all except for the moves where you jump and spin. That one hurt my knees.

The most important thing to remember is that everyone is at a different fitness level. Use Danish Man's unfair advantage that all men seem to have to push yourself rather than feel discouraged! You don't have to keep up with him, but people with awesome workout partners end up doing better in the end if they don't let themselves get discouraged. You just have to "Do your best and forget the rest!" That's Tony's motto. Do what you can, push yourself and then pat yourself on the back. The next day, push a little more. It's not a competition with him, so just have fun with it! : ) And remember that I did it when I weighed about 225 pounds, so you can definitely do it! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

You can always ask me anything about it if you run into more questions, too!
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I started it and actually got bored with it, probably bc he talks a lot. I ended up having to go buy heavier weights bc I didn't feel any burn like everyone else I talked to did. 1.5 yrs prior to me starting though I did bootcamps three days a week and personal training one day of week and I had more of a workout in bootcamps then the P90X.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_give-give-bluntly-p90x-users?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:48d57c92-9be4-4255-b28d-aaa508f988a2Post:2f1767f1-c4e1-4b65-b21b-abd743570a68">Re: I GIVE IN! Give it to me bluntly... P90x users.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I started it and actually got bored with it, probably bc he talks a lot. I ended up having to go buy heavier weights bc I didn't feel any burn like everyone else I talked to did. 1.5 yrs prior to me starting though I did bootcamps three days a week and personal training one day of week and I had more of a workout in bootcamps then the P90X.
    Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that might give you an edge, lol. When I started, I was about 225 pounds and had never done any kind of strength training. I had just gotten into the C25k program at that time too, so it was really the start of any exercising at all for me. I just did Legs & Back the other week and was sore for 5 days afterwards though, lol. Tony does get annoying, especially after Shawn T's Insanity. I fast forward a lot through Tony now that I have the workouts practically memorized, lol.

Lyn: But like Stina said, she got heavier weights. P90x is nice because you can really modify things to make them easier or harder, depending on the level you need. You can go heavier/lighter weights, do the strength training more slowly if they're too easy, and there were some people I knew who couldn't do or didn't like the cardio workouts (Cardio, Kenpo, Plyo), so they modified by going out to run or doing Insanity or something else. It really helped me tone a lot though, so I think it's worth a shot, especially if your friend got it for you! : )
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards