Moms and Maids

Something different with bridesmaids

I am so blessed with a lot of wonderful friends and family.  How can I include them as "bridesmaids" with out making the bridal party HUGE!!??  Our wedding is going to be pretty casual (outdoors/tented) and I want all my friends to be a part of it and more than just as guest book and program attendants.  Any suggestions??
Thanks!

Re: Something different with bridesmaids

• linzerdlinzerd member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My only suggestion is to figure out who you are really closest too and choose them.  If you don't want a huge bridal party then you have to make some decisions!
  • zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_something-different-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:e60c0f25-df4b-4a09-9c33-84080a530830Post:b3236e2f-7189-44dc-bcba-9e09c9b80bde">Something different with bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am so blessed with a lot of wonderful friends and family.  How can I include them as "bridesmaids" with out making the bridal party HUGE!!??  Our wedding is going to be pretty casual (outdoors/tented) and I want all my friends to be a part of it and more than just as guest book and program attendants.  Any suggestions?? Thanks!
    Posted by shannonreuland[/QUOTE]

Guest is an honor too. Crap jobs like "Stand here and make sure people know how to sign their name because our guests are just that stupid" or "Stand here and pass out programs" are just that -- crap jobs and not an honor at all.

Good luck.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Frankly, your friends know that you're either a BM or you're not.  And no other "cutesy" job title will make it better or make them feel more "included".  Please remember that being a guest at a wedding is a WHOLE lot more fun than being a guest book attendant, or a cake cutter, or a bubble passer outer, or a "personal attendant", or any of the other myriad of pity positions that people dream up.

If you have a large group of friends, I'd suggest sticking with your wonderful family as WP members, and inviting your friends as guests.  Have a photo taken of all of you together.  Include them in the B-party, but skip making up "stuff" for them to do.  And making your WP just family gets you off the hook for making some friends part of the WP and excluding others.

Good luck to you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    You can't include them as bridesmaids without having them in the wedding party.  Either they are, or they aren't.  If you don't want them all to stand up with you but you can't choose, or don't wish to, make your side of the WP family only or something like that.

Let the rest be guests.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that there really are any other ways to include them. One is either in the BP or isn't. If you want a small BP, then go for it. Your friends can still party with you, dance the night away, and can still be in pictures. They don't need a title to have a good time. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    One thing I tried to remember when I think of my friends and my wedding, and that is how did I feel when I wasn't asked to be in some of my friends weddings.  And although being in their wedding would have been an honor and I would have happily been in the wedding, I was also releived I wasn't invovled in the wedding, I could just enjoy the wedding. 

So if it is because You love your friends and you don't want them to feel bad then I wouldn't worry many of them would probably be happy that they can just go to your wedding. 

Good Luck.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards