Getting in Shape

Cutting back on diet pop

OK, so I've decided to take the next step towards healthier habits and I am going to cut back on my consumption of diet pop.  I have been drinking about two a day -- one with lunch and one in the evening.  I would love to cut back to no more than 1 a day, ideally just a couple a week.  Realistically, I love it too much to give it up altogether (especially fountain pop!) but I know it isn't great for me so I am going to set limits.

One question, right now I have a touch of a headache...  I think its probably from a lack of caffeine.  Should I take aspirin to help out until my body adjusts to less caffeine?  Or should I just suck it up and let me body handle it?
Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cutting back on diet pop

• Caffeine withdrawal will definitely give you a headache... but if it wasn't caffeine related, is the headache bad enough that you would take aspirin for it? If yes, then go ahead and take it. The fact that lack of caffeine is causing it doesn't matter.
    Anniversary
  • I am a firm believer in taking pain relievers when you need them.  That is why asprin was invented!  Taking them every once in a while (even up to once every week or so) won't hurt you.  It'll help!
  • I definitely took Aleve when I gave up caffeine.  It helped me through the first couple days.  I think that I would have given in to the Diet Coke if I'd had a nagging headache all the time. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am completely addicted to caffeine and I've been VERY slowly cutting back on my coffee to not get headaches. You might try unsweetened iced tea, that's usually my back up if I feel a caffeine headache coming on.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks all!
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've switched to raspberry seltzer.  Still bubbly, but no artificial sweeteners.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Caffeine withdrawls WILL give you a serious headache, but nothing a little advil won't cure!!!  And yes ALL soda is bad whether DIET or NOT.  But I can say I crave a coca-cola when I have a hangover LOL  As far as cutting it out, when you do you will see a major difference.  As of Satruday I was at the 4 weeks mark so I am now working with a trainer to tone up a few areas and get rid of about 5-10 pounds.  She wrote me out a very clean eating plan for the next 2 weeks, then a very harsh eating plan for the following two weeks.  Eating clean along with very intense workouts... Hard work, but the end result will be amazing & my goal is to look the best I can in my dress so 20 years from now if I'm overweight LOL I can look back and be like look how good I looked then LMAO  When they say to drink at least 64 oz of water a day, it works!  And eat smaller meals more frequently and cut out as much salt and sugar as possible!  Water keeps you filled up and helps keep u from starving and then overeating.  Good luck ladies :-)

Anniversary
  • Seltzer + lemon or lime juice really helps kick the soda habit! I haven't had a diet soda since New Years!
  • LittleKatie13:  You brought up a very good point about artificial sweeteners.  Once I found out how they manipulate their structures and why they're bad for your body, I've banished them all together.  Now I use either stevia sweeteners, sugar in the raw, or no sugar at all. 

I found out that Splenda is marketed in the US as being 0% bioaccumulative, when tests in other countries have found it to be UP TO 40% bioaccumulative.  Also, to make Splenda they add chlorine to its chemical structure, so it's like you're taking in a chlorinated pesticide.

Aspartame (Equal):  Another big no-no.  I found out it was composed of 10% methanol (wood alcohol/poison), and when aspartame is exposed to temperatures of 86 degrees (roughly), the methanol converts into formic acid and fomaldehyde.  I realize most people would warm to the idea of being "well-preserved", but I definitely don't want anything like that in my body.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards