Massachusetts-Boston

NWR: Please recommend your...

We close on our house next week (woo-hoo!!!) in the Canton area, and will need some help in finding some good recommendations to get some updating done asap.

Does anyone have any recommendations for professionals to do:

- Hardwood floor refinishing

- Plumbing (minor)

- Bathroom floor re-tiling

- Energy auditing (we may switch from oil to gas)

- Someone to blow more insulation into the attic

The first two are the most important. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Re: NWR: Please recommend your...

• edited December 2011
    I can recommend a good plumber.
    They are out of the Newton/Waltham Area
    D.H. MacLeod Plumbing

Congrats on the upcoming closing!
    Married September 25,2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Vendor Reviews
  • edited December 2011
    Hardwood floors are easy enough to lay, and you can get them pre-finished, if you aren't averse to doing them yourselves. Home Depot or Lowes should have a good selection, and there should be someone working that can give you tips and tricks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_nwr-please-recommend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:96200b1c-1aa1-4a07-8492-6dca99f4ecaaPost:a12ed46f-173f-40b4-b0ea-075fb1c48791">Re: NWR: Please recommend your...</a>:

[QUOTE]I can recommend a good plumber. They are out of the Newton/Waltham Area D.H. MacLeod Plumbing Congrats on the upcoming closing!
    Posted by mcononico[/QUOTE]Thanks!!

[QUOTE]Hardwood floors are easy enough to lay, and you can get them pre-finished, if you aren't averse to doing them yourselves. Home Depot or Lowes should have a good selection, and there should be someone working that can give you tips and tricks.
    Posted by ShaboAE[/QUOTE]The floors are actually already installed (oak), but are unfinished under the carpet.  We would like to get it done before move-in, and wouldn't really know what we are doing.  So we hope to find someone to pull up the carpet, sand things down and take care of any holes from the carpet, and stain.  Thanks for the suggestion, though!  I think that we would be more open to doing it ourselves if our jobs weren't so busy and we weren't already handling a bunch of other things ourselves like taking down the wallpaper, painting, and handling some minor repairs.
  • edited December 2011
    Dharma,  You are very lucky if you know for a fact that there are unfinished oak boards under your carpets. Very few people would spend the money to lay unfinished hardwood floor and then cover it with carpet. Usually what gets laid under a new carpet installation is some sort of plyboard.

What you can expect is at least a few days for the floors to be finished as they have to be sanded, polyeurothaned (and dried overnight), sanded again, polyeurothaned again, and so on until you have the number of coats you want down. If you have pets or small children, expect more time for extra protective coats to be put down to guard against nail or toy scratches.

If you don't mind the carpets now, you could always rent the equipment and refinish the floors on your own time. I helped my dad do the hardwood floors at my parent's house when I was a teen. It's surprisingly easy; it just takes time if you want to finish the wood yourself.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_nwr-please-recommend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:96200b1c-1aa1-4a07-8492-6dca99f4ecaaPost:d72ab683-160e-4ff6-a665-259f6206057a">Re: NWR: Please recommend your...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dharma,  You are very lucky if you know for a fact that there are unfinished oak boards under your carpets. Very few people would spend the money to lay unfinished hardwood floor and then cover it with carpet. Usually what gets laid under a new carpet installation is some sort of plyboard. What you can expect is at least a few days for the floors to be finished as they have to be sanded, polyeurothaned (and dried overnight), sanded again, polyeurothaned again, and so on until you have the number of coats you want down. If you have pets or small children, expect more time for extra protective coats to be put down to guard against nail or toy scratches. If you don't mind the carpets now, you could always rent the equipment and refinish the floors on your own time. I helped my dad do the hardwood floors at my parent's house when I was a teen. It's surprisingly easy; it just takes time if you want to finish the wood yourself.
    Posted by ShaboAE[/QUOTE]I know, the listing indicated the hardwood, but we had our doubts about what it really was and the condition.  We were SO thrilled when the inspector pulled up corners of the carpet to confirm that there was in fact beautiful, nearly untouched oak under there! 

My dad also mentioned that it might be easier than we think to do it ourselves.   Part of our reasoning, though, is that is would be preferable if we could deal with the dust and fumes before we move anything in there.  Thank you for all of the info!  We may still consider it., especially after hearing that it might not be too difficult.
  • edited December 2011
    You're very welcome. I think my dad rented the sander from Home Depot, but it was a while ago, so I can't remember. It's definitely easy to do yourself. It takes very little time each night to sand and polyeurothane, so I think you could handle it, even with your busy schedules. And it's definitely easier to do before moving in, if you have that luxury. Good luck!
  • Ishaba11Ishaba11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH's Boyfriend works for a eco friendly insulation company. It's called the green cocoon. I know they go all over MA but they are out of Salisbury. I have no idea how much they charge but he raves about it and how much better it is.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you are planning on having kids anytime soon I would be very concerned about doing it yourself.  The fumes and dust can be really bad, and the finish can be pretty toxic.  You can sign up for Angie's List and they have suggested people for all sorts of home related stuff.  My mom has it and has been really successful using people from the list.
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards