Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Breakfast for Dinner?

My fiance & I are planning a smallish wedding (130ish) for next fall in our college town (just now leaving, 5 degrees later!).  One of the caterers for our venue is a local restaurant we love - especially their awesome breakfast, which is their most affordable option for us.  We are considering having breakfast served at our evening (7ish) reception.

On the one hand, we love this restaurant.  It also might be a nice surprise for the guests.

On the other hand, guest might think it's a bit weird.  They might also be disappointed if they were looking forward to dinner.

Thoughts?

Re: Breakfast for Dinner?

• edited December 2011
    I kinda like the idea.  Maybe you guys should do what you like and don't care what your guests think.  Haha. I know it's nice to accomodate your guests, but there is only so much you can do.  Maybe you could mention what is being served in the invite so people are shocked when they get there. It sounds kinda fun to me.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm weird. I don't like breakfast foods.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_breakfast-dinner-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:31057404-fb07-4bdc-bade-562bfe0c25edPost:dde49535-e904-4a29-b59f-b8124060d371">Re: Breakfast for Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe you guys should do what you like and don't care what your guests think.  Posted by angielipa[/QUOTE]
    I don't particularly recommend taking that attitude in general in your wedding planning. It's okay to a degree for some things (you can't please everyone!) but you're throwing a wedding for your guests to enjoy too.

Anyway, what type of breakfast foods are we talking about? I like breakfast food quite a bit, but I don't think I'd want to eat it at a formal wedding in the evening where i'm going to be drinking.  The drinking part makes a big difference to me!  I think it would go well at a casual afternoon wedding. Or a beer/wine wedding. A saturday night, open bar wedding though, not as much (to me).  However... what type of foods could also make a difference.  You can do foods that are more brunch/lunch things too?  I'm thinking quiches, skewers of chicken and or vegetables, different salads, cheese/fruit/jams/crackers.... muffins and rolls... i'm sure there are more ideas but i'm thinking if it's heartier breakfast foods it would be good.
  • edited December 2011
    Brinner! Breakfast for dinner ("Brinner") is super popular where I live. I would say go for it, but that's just me. Just try not to stick guests with too many messy choices. It's all fun and games until a guest starts whining about syrup on her dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I am personally not a huge fun of the breakfast for dinner thing. I've never been to a wedding that has done it, but the following things are things that I would be relieved to see if I did attend one:

Belgian Waffles
    Eggs Benedict
    Meat Carving Station
    Shrimp and Grits 
    Omelet Station
    Mimosas
    Bloody Marys
    Brandy Milk Punch

And these are things that would make me sad:

Scrambled eggs (they're ALWAYS cold at big events!) 
    Oatmeal 
    Cold Cereal of Any Kind
    No alcohol 

• avwhitingavwhiting member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The food is "formal southern," which is great, because my groom is southern, we met in the south, and our wedding will be in the south.  We are not having liquor at the reception, just bottled beer & wine.

Our vibe is casual elegance...keeping things simple is our style.

The breakfast food on the menu would be:
    Scrambled eggs
    Thick cut bacon
    Sausage or soysage (we do have some vegetarian guests)
    Cheese grits
    Homemade biscuits
    Smoked bacon gravy

Thanks for the input!
    Coffee, OJ, sweet tea, lemonade
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a huge fan of breakfast foods and LOVE breakfasts for dinner.

Your menu sounds amazing.. but, I have to be honest, I don't think I'd do it. :( Even though your vibe is casual, I just don't think many of my guests would like. 

BUT, you know your wedding guests better than we do! If you think everyone would be happily surprised and get a kick out of it, go for it. If you're hesitating even slightly, I'd re-think it.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • acwmacwm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think your menu sounds great! But I love breakfast food. Could you add in a few things that are a little less breakfast-y but still fit in the style, like quiche?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I think it could work at a less formal wedding.  Could you add a carb item for people that aren't big egg/bacon/grits fans?  Maybe a pancake station, waffles, or french toast?  

Also, I love that you have the veg sausage on there.  My FI (not veg) really likes the Morningstar Farms sausage patties--you can get them at Costco sometimes--and I like their bacon.

Are you having alcohol?  If so, I think some breakfast cocktails like mimosas and bloody marys would go really well with your menu.  
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, I don't love the menu.  All I would eat is maybe some bacon or sausage and possibly grits (although I'm always disappointed when they aren't made how I like them).  Even then those are foods I really avoid because I would have a lot of fat and carbs with no balance.  While I think weddings are definitely an occassion to splurge, I think it's not okay to have a completely unbalanced meal.  I would be especially bummed if this was dinner that night.

I also personally don't think beer or wine go with the foods you plan on serving.  I love wine pretty much all the time, with most things but unless I am ordering a mimosa, it would not go wit breakfast.  If you want to serve alcohol a better pairing would be to serve bloody mary's and mimosas. 

You know your guests better than anyone though, so do what you think they will like.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_breakfast-dinner-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:31057404-fb07-4bdc-bade-562bfe0c25edPost:269de743-3c6f-4cf7-bc3b-83a615622421">Re: Breakfast for Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The food is "formal southern," which is great, because my groom is southern, we met in the south, and our wedding will be in the south.  <strong>We are not having liquor at the reception, just bottled beer & wine.</strong> Our vibe is casual elegance...keeping things simple is our style. The breakfast food on the menu would be: Scrambled eggs Thick cut bacon Sausage or soysage (we do have some vegetarian guests) Cheese grits Homemade biscuits Smoked bacon gravy Thanks for the input! Coffee, OJ, sweet tea, lemonade
    Posted by avwhiting[/QUOTE]

<div>As a guest, the only thing I would drink at a reception with breakfast /brunch foods is mimosas or bloody mary's. Beer and scrambled eggs would make me sick. No alcohol would disappoint me. </div>
  • edited December 2011
    I think its super original and a wonderful idea. 

Me and my SO are servinf a super ecclectic buffet thats basically all of our fav foods and includes biscuits and gravy.

I would def give your guests some kind of heads up, either on your wedding website or in person. 

I would def consider some pankcakes or waffles as an alternative but still in keeping with the brinner theme. 
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_breakfast-dinner-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:31057404-fb07-4bdc-bade-562bfe0c25edPost:dde49535-e904-4a29-b59f-b8124060d371">Re: Breakfast for Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I kinda like the idea<strong>.  Maybe you guys should do what you like and don't care what your guests think.  Haha. I know it's nice to accomodate your guests, but there is only so much you can do.</strong>  Maybe you could mention what is being served in the invite so people are shocked when they get there. It sounds kinda fun to me.
    Posted by angielipa[/QUOTE]

This is an awful attitude to have when planning a wedding.  When you are choosing the menu you should only be thinking of your guests and what will appeal to the masses.  How on earth would that fall into the "there is only so much you can do" category. 

OP - I have to agree with the pp who questioned beer and wine with breakfast food.  I think that is a very valid point for you to consider.  Beer and wine don't go with breakfast foods at all.

I'm iffy on the menu though.  I love bfast foods for dinner but I'm not sure about doing that at a wedding reception.  I would find it a bit wierd.  I also have to agree that your menu needs a carb addition if you go ahead with this.  Definitely consider the mimosas and bloody marys.  You need to change your alcoholic choices or change your menu.  Right now they clash badly.
  • edited December 2011
    I love the idea....partially because i eat breakfast for dinner all of the time!

However, i would throw some steak and eggs into the miix.....that way any of your guests that dont prefer to have all breakfast foods, can at least have some steak! Just throwing an idea out.......
    More than words.....
  • edited December 2011
    we are also considering a breakfast menu for our evening wedding.  Our family tradition, started by my late father, has been to have a big french toast dinner while watching the Kentucky Derby each year.  We are getting married on Derby day and we are planning on continuing this tradition serving the french toast dinner.  We are only having 25 people at our wedding and 20 of them are family most of which know all about our fun derby tradition....I say go for it, what's wrong with something a little unexpected???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards