Jewish Weddings

Best Frame for A Ketubah?

I will have to get my ketubah custom-framed since it is an odd size:  19 1/2" x 25".  Any recommendations for what to look for in a frame?  I 'm considering Michael's since they always have coupons for custom framing.  TIA!

Re: Best Frame for A Ketubah?

• edited December 2011
    If I were you I'd avoid Michael's like the plague. They typically hike up their prices and then advertise sales and coupons which are still higher than local mom and pop stores. At the Michael's near me I was quoted 110 dollars higher than the place I ended up going with.

Just make sure that your mattes and the frame go well together. Also make sure that it's something you'll want to look at in 30 years and not something that's too trendy.
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that's quite a price difference, october010!  Thanks for the advice!
  • edited December 2011
    No problem... just make sure to shop around and bring a picture of your ketubah with you so you can be sure to have the right colors selected.
    edited December 2011
    Or I could just bring the ketubah itself?  I already have it.
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is from michaels and we have not had any problems. How the price compares to ma and pa shops obviously depends on where you are located. By us, it would not have been any cheaper
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used JoAnn Fabric and Crafts for ours, and it came out beautifully.  However, I think a lot depends on the particular individual you are working with.  You might try taking the ketubah around to a few places and asking how they would recommend framing it and what their prices would be, and then make your decision.

edited December 2011
    Another question:  should I get it framed before or after the wedding?  I know that if it's before the wedding, I'll have to remove it from the frame in order to get it signed and then put it back in the frame.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_frame-ketubah?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:44a74da7-083c-4ed0-b677-acad360348bdPost:db14d142-6fca-41da-8f02-b30cd74b7f4d">Re: Best Frame for A Ketubah?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another question:  should I get it framed before or after the wedding?  I know that if it's before the wedding, I'll have to remove it from the frame in order to get it signed and then put it back in the frame.
    Posted by Musicheals71[/QUOTE]What we did was to have it framed, other than putting the glass in, before the wedding, and then just added the glass afterward.  This has a couple of advantages.    First, it protects the ketubah from damage while is is being moved around (to the wedding venue and back).  Second, it makes sure that none of the witness signatures will run into an area that is ultimately covered by the frame.
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, 2d Bride!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards