October 2013 Weddings

Loooong Engagement, when do I send out Save the Dates/Invitations, etc?

Some family members are already asking for these, but I wasn't going to do anyof this until late 2012-early 2013 (and thats at earliest, with me planning extra time to DIY the StDs.).
When are you planning on mailing yours out?

(My date is 10.20.2013)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Loooong Engagement, when do I send out Save the Dates/Invitations, etc?

• I plan to take my engagement photos in October.  As soon as they come back I will make my save the dates then send them out.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Typically STDs go out 6-9 months before the wedding, invites about 3 months. If you send them a yr in advance  a lot could change or people will lose them/forget about them

• Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I'm making them though, and thought I'd start early. I was planning on having them in the mail by February or so.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Our wedding date is 10/12/13 ...  we are planning to do engagement pictures sometime towards the end of summer/early fall of this year, and send out save the dates around the end of January 2013.  I know traditionally STD's aren't sent out until  6-9 months in advance, but I was reading an article recently (i don't remember where) that since more and more people are having long engagements that it is okay to send them out earlier.  I am hoping to be able to afford small magnets as our STD's, so hopefully people won't lose them!!  :)  So I think you are definitely fine if you mail them in February.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_loooong-engagement-send-out-save-datesinvitations-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:ac643e8a-c38e-400e-8e26-a98e3b783ee3Post:50d3d053-48e7-44cf-bdbb-9a53b3806fb0">Re: Loooong Engagement, when do I send out Save the Dates/Invitations, etc?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Typically STDs go out 6-9 months before the wedding, invites about 3 months. If you send them a yr in advance  a lot could change or people will lose them/forget about them
    Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]
    This. STDs go out 6-9 months (especially if you're having a lot of OOT guests) and invites about 6-8 weeks before the wedding. Remember, anyone that you send an STD to gets an invite to the wedding, no exceptions. Therefore, make sure that your guest list is set before you send out STDs and there will absolutely be no changes, or only send STDs to those who are traveling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with all PP's
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am thinking I am getting our engagement pics done within the next few weeks and I would like to send pics with the engagement annoucements prob within next month then STD a year before the date
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar image
  • @Jennifer: I'm doing Dave the Date magnets throught Vista Print. The prices are (in my opinion) quite reasonable, and you can make them quite personal!

I plan on sending mine out 8-12 months before, because we live and are getting married in Alaska. Except for about 8-10 that live in Washington state, most of our guests are on the east coast.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are getting married on October 5, 2013 (we just got engaged less than two weeks ago, but I move fast hahaha). So I basically told my friends and family the date at a party we had last weekend, but will send out my "official" Save the Dates next March (mine are DIY too!). I actually just finished designing them and would love to send them out now, but I think over a year in advance is just too early!
  • The wedding is on 10/6/2013. Over half of the guest list is OOT guests, so I'm going to send out the STDs around the middle/end of January. This way they won't get caught in the seasonal rush of holiday cards. Since our engagement pictures aren't being done until this October (2012), I'll have time to apply them to the STDs, too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards