January 2013 Weddings

Turkey Day Shennanigans

So what's the dealio? Your folks? His folks? Cooking your own bird for the first time? Long distance travel? Cozy night with the FI? What is everyone gonna be up to this week since this is really kinda the last big hurrah before crunch time sets in for most of us.

FI and I will be spending the holiday with his family, seeing as how it's only fair. We've gone to my folks house on TG day for the past few years. I'm on pie duty. My Great-grandmother's pumpkin pie recipe earned me that honor a few years ago.

Also deets on what you're taking/making for your celebration.

I've got pies, pumpkin, pecan and apple. I'm also making challa bread and my grandmother's cranberry salad. Very exciting.

Re: Turkey Day Shennanigans

• Last year was his family so this year is my family!  My family is trying out a new tradition: Football at Auntie's house, dinner at my parent's house and dessert/games at grandma's house I'm excited... EXCEPT:

In attendance will be close family friends who RSVP'd No to our wedding saying they were too fearful to travel because Obama won re-election, so they wanted to save all their money for the impending financial crisis that was sure to occur.  They're travelling from Iowa for Thanksgiving but can't do the same thing in January?  I'm a wee bit pissed off about it, FI and I considered doing Thanksgiving solo at McD's...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2013-weddings_turkey-day-shennanigans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:808dddd9-a33d-4d5f-8a47-f091dcd1c99fDiscussion:f1384aca-40c2-4f37-945d-5500d9c8f25aPost:1b32602c-c2c2-4bcb-89ec-b2ce2c9fb2c6">Re: Turkey Day Shennanigans</a>:
    [QUOTE]Last year was his family so this year is my family!  My family is trying out a new tradition: Football at Auntie's house, dinner at my parent's house and dessert/games at grandma's house I'm excited... EXCEPT: In attendance will be close family friends who RSVP'd No to our wedding saying they were too fearful to travel because Obama won re-election, so they wanted to save all their money for the impending financial crisis that was sure to occur.  They're travelling from Iowa for Thanksgiving but can't do the same thing in January?  I'm a wee bit pissed off about it, FI and I considered doing Thanksgiving solo at McD's...
    Posted by Jinxed329[/QUOTE]

Wow...that's just...wow. I mean I know that people don't like Obama, but wow. I just don't know. I think I would wear an Obama shirt to thanksgiving just to see what they'd do. hahaha. People just confuse me sometimes.
  • I kinda want to do a solo thing with my FI this year.  My parents are not doing anything this year.  I've spent the past 2 Thanksgivings at Disney World with my kids - we had a blast! Because of the wedding, we aren't doing that this year.  They will actually be with their dad and FI's kids will be with their mom.  Really don't feel like dealing with FI's parents who seemed to have caught some kind of attitude with me - almost like the silent treatment the last couple of times I've been around them.  When I asked FI what their problem was he said, "Nothing - they are always like that".  Huh?  I didn't want to keep diggin' for info so I have no problem avoiding them until FI insists we get together with them.  So, Jinxed, McD's sounds good to me too!

image 82 Invited
    image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: Dec 19
    image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board
  • We are going to FI's parent's house for Thanksgiving. It is only a few minutes away so it isn't a big deal. Minus the whole family drama that occurred last week. There was an arrest, a restraining order, and multiple calls to us asking to borrow $40,000. WHAT?! Now it is super awkward because people were forced into sides without even choosing them. Hurray for family drama! My mom is going to call or text me in case I need to get out of there. I would love to jump on board the McD's train with you guys!

We are bringing mashed potatoes. Which I guess means we will be making them there. I honestly don't even know how much to make for 16 people! Last year we made the turkey and stuffing, so at least the potatoes are cheaper.

On Saturday we are making Thanksgiving food for my mom. She will be coming over to our apartment and we will have a much more laid back day with her.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2013-weddings_turkey-day-shennanigans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:808dddd9-a33d-4d5f-8a47-f091dcd1c99fDiscussion:f1384aca-40c2-4f37-945d-5500d9c8f25aPost:caeb4873-e5c0-44db-90e8-8bdcc5fffcc0">Re: Turkey Day Shennanigans</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to FI's parent's house for Thanksgiving. It is only a few minutes away so it isn't a big deal. Minus the whole family drama that occurred last week. There was an arrest, a restraining order, and multiple calls to us asking to borrow $40,000. WHAT?! Now it is super awkward because people were forced into sides without even choosing them. Hurray for family drama! My mom is going to call or text me in case I need to get out of there. I would love to jump on board the McD's train with you guys! We are bringing mashed potatoes. Which I guess means we will be making them there. I honestly don't even know how much to make for 16 people! Last year we made the turkey and stuffing, so at least the potatoes are cheaper. On Saturday we are making Thanksgiving food for my mom. She will be coming over to our apartment and we will have a much more laid back day with her.
    Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's intense. I'd worry about having to deal with that, except FSIL and her SO work for the county sheriff's office. So it would be sooooper awkward to have to deal with arrests.
  • At least that would keep everyone in line!

• Our Thanksgivings are QUIET...which I miss the louder more crowded days.  : (
    We will be having Turkey Day with FMIL and my Great Aunt who is 81 and a sweetheart!!
    I think FMIL is cooking but I will be helping out...not sure to be honest?!  Havent seen or talked to her in a few days.  Thats what we did last year anyways. 
    In years before FI, I would go to my aunts house (diff aunt)...but since my Grandfather passed away in 2007, its been alot quieter...sad...his house was the "hub" of get togethers and when he passed, the family kinda started doing their own thing.  I hate that..
    I LOVE big functions and I miss seeing more cousins, etc...
    Anyways...sigh..lol...I am so grateful to even have them!!!!!!!  Look at how many are alone this time of year??!  Thats way too sad...and a HUGE reaosn to be thankful for our lives!! 
    Thank you, Lord!!!
    I just wish hoildays were more exciting...in a good way...not drama.  thats crazy about the drama with you guys, Staar!  Geez...

LOL about the McDonalds talk!!!  I was laughing out loud at that!  I haven't eaten that in about a year and dont miss it...but that sure was funny!

God is Faithful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards