Snarky Brides

Stepmom makes me laugh

I was chatting with my stepmom last night, who is kind of out of the loop on life. She was asking why I wasn't reading books lately when we pick up the conversation...
Me: Planning the wedding has just made me forget about my hobbies I did before planning.
Stepmom. So much planning...you have to pick your bridesmaids. Did you pick your bridesmaids?
Me: Yes, I did a while ago.
Stepmom: Well then, sounds like you're about done with everything!

If only life was as easy as Stepmom makes it seem!

Re: Stepmom makes me laugh

• I have a grandmother who is like that.  She has always been that way.  When I was a single mom, she said it wasn't fair that I had work.  I should quit and stay home with my daughter.  She didn't even think that then I wouldn't be able to pay bills!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    Haha that's about as easy as my wedding planning was. Thank god for coordinators. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_stepmom-laugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:08d78f60-fb14-49b9-8703-7f75db30a0a2Post:cc919daa-81f1-48ea-9b33-57bc56efaa34">Re: Stepmom makes me laugh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha that's about as easy as my wedding planning was. Thank god for coordinators. 
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

I have a coordinator for the wedding day, but have been doing everything else hands on. Sounds like you got it good!=)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_stepmom-laugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:08d78f60-fb14-49b9-8703-7f75db30a0a2Post:c72dcd67-4d3e-4dbb-b462-fed6694c20de">Re: Stepmom makes me laugh</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a grandmother who is like that.  She has always been that way.  When I was a single mom, she said it wasn't fair that I had work.  I should quit and stay home with my daughter.  She didn't even think that then I wouldn't be able to pay bills!
    Posted by luckyme502[/QUOTE]
    Gotta love family members like that...it puts things in a new light.
  • My fi is like that!  I asked him what time he thought we should get to the ceremony site to set everything up, get ready, take pictures, etc.  His answer was that about an hour before the ceremony begins should be good. 

Sometimes I swear he thinks the wedding fairy is taking care of all the details, from ordering cloth napkins to spray-painting branches for the centerpieces to finalizing a menu.  I don't mind doing these things because I like it and it's fun for me, but he really has no idea.  Good thing he's so cute. 
  • Hahaha that's cute. Sounds kind of like my mom. When I bought my dress she proclaimed that I was "all set"! 
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_stepmom-laugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:08d78f60-fb14-49b9-8703-7f75db30a0a2Post:69d54861-58b4-4d18-b9c6-28d39dffd17a">Re: Stepmom makes me laugh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stepmom makes me laugh : I have a coordinator for the wedding day, but have been doing everything else hands on. Sounds like you got it good!=)
    Posted by key721[/QUOTE]

<div>There is just no way I would have been able to do it without her since we got married away. I didn't even see my venue until 4 days before the wedding. :)</div>
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Salt-  You are crazy, I could never do that! 
  • My favorite line from my mom is - "what are you going to do with your life when the wedding is over?"  Mind you this is after not helping me at all (not saying I'm entitled - just saying she has no clue about wedding planning stuff).  Oh and she called my wedding "over the top" because we are having 200 people.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Actually I take that back, I almost booked my venue without seeing it first. 
  • Where has stepmom been living?  In a bomb shelter or some deserted island?  God, that's funny.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_stepmom-laugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:08d78f60-fb14-49b9-8703-7f75db30a0a2Post:13fc8f35-a7dd-48ae-87ca-db925d52737b">Re: Stepmom makes me laugh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where has stepmom been living?  In a bomb shelter or some deserted island?  God, that's funny.
    Posted by deepcovejackie[/QUOTE]

Okay I love my stepmom, but she has been out of the world's loop for a couple decades. She is on too many painkillers so talking to her is always filled with TMI medical and the same stories. My favorite is"

"and when (blank's name) was having her c-section, the Doc had a hand on the kid just before midnight and said"Do you want your baby born on Feb 28th or 29th?"

The baby was born in late May last year, but SM will fight to the death defending this is what"really happened." We have no idea where she got this story, but we think the painkillers do this to her. I wonder how she will remember my wedding?
  • Salt, I am planning a destination wedding too. Thankfully, so many things can be done by e-mail/phone to make it possible. I would use my planner more, but money is kind of tight so I am doing what I can by myself. Also, I think I love abusing myself with choices and going back and forth. Wouldn't want to give the pleasure to someone else. I will get her help before the big day, to help smooth plans out.=)
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    Having somebody else do all the work is definitely the best way to go.

I had a formal wedding that I planned in 5 months for 100 people and I still can't wrap my head around the women that have a year or 2 and all they do is complain about how stressful planning is for them. I just keep thinking "Um, if it's so hard just scale back or hire somebody" ... Maybe this is why I've been so pissy around here lately, lol.

ETA: OP, I didn't mean to make it sound like you were whining. But I would highly recommend for future planning if you're getting stressed to just take a deep breath and ask yourself if whatever decision it is will matter in 20 years ... 90% of the time, it seriously won't.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_stepmom-laugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:08d78f60-fb14-49b9-8703-7f75db30a0a2Post:1eedbbbf-35a5-43ba-8c76-1865b773bab3">Re: Stepmom makes me laugh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Having somebody else do all the work is definitely the best way to go. I had a formal wedding that I planned in 5 months for 100 people and I still can't wrap my head around the women that have a year or 2 and all they do is complain about how stressful planning is for them. I just keep thinking "Um, if it's so hard just scale back or hire somebody" ... Maybe this is why I've been so pissy around here lately, lol. ETA: OP, I didn't mean to make it sound like you were whining. But I would highly recommend for future planning if you're getting stressed to just take a deep breath and ask yourself if whatever decision it is will matter in 20 years ... 90% of the time, it seriously won't.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't take any of your comments as a bad thing. I know it would have been easier if I had chosen more help. I am trying now to  share the planning with those who want to help.  Trying to do everything myself is my weakness.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_stepmom-laugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:08d78f60-fb14-49b9-8703-7f75db30a0a2Post:8f45fb64-7ce4-4632-a082-32f5ebb929be">Re: Stepmom makes me laugh</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm somewhat new to these boards but I just had to post a response to this one :) My step-mom said "I don't understand why you are so busy and stressed, wedding planning can't take up that much time" This is also the person who has never had a wedding, just marriages in front of a judge...... I can relate :) Gotta love step-moms
    Posted by MeganH2010[/QUOTE]

Yup, same thing with my StepMom.=)
     I think your photo in your siggy came out really nice!
  • When my dad and step mom got married I am pretty sure my step mom spent an entire week doing things.  She asks "how do you spend so much time doing 'wedding stuff'" or her other great quote is "well you could just not" yeah, cause we need a marriage commissioner! Best step moms are those who are on those on their first marriages and you are their kids!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_stepmom-laugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:08d78f60-fb14-49b9-8703-7f75db30a0a2Post:dd4dfa7b-a78e-4bed-b2a6-699d9c745251">Re: Stepmom makes me laugh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stepmom makes me laugh : Oh, I didn't take any of your comments as a bad thing. I know it would have been easier if I had chosen more help. I am trying now to  share the planning with those who want to help.  Trying to do everything myself is my weakness.
    Posted by key721[/QUOTE]

Seriously, the best thing you could do is ask yourself if it's going to matter in 20 years before beating yourself up over a detail. The big things guests remember is if the food was good and if there's a DJ/Band, if they were good. When it's all over, the only thing that's physically left are the rings and the pictures (Which don't capture every little detail), so there really is a lot of stuff that might seem like a big deal now, but you either won't remember, or if you do, you won't remember why it was a big deal in a few years. The important thing is that you're married to your FI when it's all over, everything else is just extra.  Try not to sweat the small stuff.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards