Catholic Weddings

~ ~ virgincita ~ ~

Did you by any chance google virgincita before you used it for your knot name?

I didn't think so.

Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~

• virgincitavirgincita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    um no....it's what we use to affectionately refer to the Virgin Mary in Spanish. I think Mary is pretty awesome so I used this as my nickname.

Why are YOU googling it?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    also....I think it would have been more appropriate to private message me on this. thanks.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    sorry, very few people on here use the PM feature.

I didn't have to google it to know it's a Indo Christian  statue dating back to the Aztecs and is quite adored in Mexico
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well I didn't know that, and I guess niether does my FI's VERY traditional Catholic family (who are also Mexican)....because that's where I got it from. It means "little virgin" and I've never heard of anyone using it other than for the Virgin Mary. Have you ever lived in Latin America? Because I have....as a missionary, and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed when my friends were placing flowers on the statue of Mary and asking for prayers of la Virgincita, they meant Mary.

Virgin is a very common word to use, and spanish-speakers add "cita" to everything when using affectionate terms. I can see how it could also be used to speak of a pagan statue who happens to be a virgin as well.

Thanks, though....a little public humiliation is always good to keep my pride in check.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_virgincita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f7c8fe63-aaeb-497d-87f1-825fb07444d9Post:8565e815-fc06-43fe-9063-684f2fb66f7e">Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]um no....it's what we use to affectionately refer to the Virgin Mary in Spanish. I think Mary is pretty awesome so I used this as my nickname.
    Posted by virgincita[/QUOTE]

speechless.  You want your nickname to be the same as the Blessed Mother?

I also think she's  pretty awesome but I would never ever think to equate myself to her.
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. Why so much hostility here?
    I might name my daughter Mary. That doesn't mean I think my daughter IS Mary or is equal to Her. But it would be a nice way to honor the Blessed Mother.

Also, http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/culture/virgincita.htm
    That's the first link that came up when I googled Virgincita. I don't see a problem with that, do you? Also, Indo-Christian is simply a style of art, so I don't see a problem with that either... ?

Sorry to but in, but this really should have been a PM anyway (you can make a thread just like this and just put "YGPM"--"You've got a private message"). In any case, I'm glad it wasn't so that others can jump in and make Virgincita feel not-so-unwelcomed!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I think of the Virgincita, I think about the Lady of Guadalupe.  That might be one of my favorite stories that I learned as a child.

In the Hispanic culture, the name Jesus is fairly common.  I consider it a little unusual myself, but history tells us that Jesus was actually a fairly common name back in the OT/NT days (think of Sirach).  So was Judas, although I can't think of many people who'd name their child Judas nowadays, despite Maccabees.  My UIL's middle name is de Jesus, and I don't find it presumptuous.  Several of my H's relatives are named Mary/Maria/Marie.

Now, if virgincita had chosen the name Beelzebub and been a regular poster here, I'd find that odd.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks, ladies :-) I appreciate it. It quite embarassed me, to be honest.

I'm sure "mother" wasn't meaning to be rude, although it did come out that way.

I do plan on naming our first daughter Maria (when God chooses to bless us with her), and all of our daughters will have some reference to her in their names (Lourdes, Guadalupe, Rosario, Regina....etc.) My fiance and I have a strong devotion to Mary and we've already picked out names to honor her. Obviously we don't assume our future daughters will in any way be equal to the Blessed Mother....that would be silly.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i'm going to hope/assume that OOT thought you might be a troll...we've had a few on this board who have come over to mock us and the catholic faith.
    edited December 2011
    If a poster came on here with the name jesuscita it would just mean little Jesus then.

calypso, I didn't think it was a troll at all, but I did find offense in the idea that a knot poster thinks she is very close to being the Virgin Mary.

virgincita, I have to tell you that if you go on any of the other boards, the international ones in particular, you're going to get harassed beyond belief.

I do worship the Virgin Mary but I would tend to ignore anyone taking her name in vain.

btw, I did speak to my priest this morning and he found the name obectionable too when I explained what a wedding chat board was.
    edited December 2011
    and I'm sorry that I embarassed you.  I thought a heads up was in order here as I can see you are new.

If you want this post DDed, PM me.   That will be the first PM I have had on the knot.
  • expiredbrideexpiredbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_virgincita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f7c8fe63-aaeb-497d-87f1-825fb07444d9Post:a4e40624-88b0-4b64-9836-95e05800fffd">Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]If a poster came on here with the name jesuscita it would just mean little Jesus then. calypso, I didn't think it was a troll at all, but I did find offense in the idea that a knot poster thinks she is very close to being the Virgin Mary. virgincita, <strong>I have to tell you that if you go on any of the other boards, the international ones in particular, you're going to get harassed beyond belief</strong>. I

I<strong> did speak to my priest this morning and he found the name obectionable too when I explained what a wedding chat board was.</strong>
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

1) But she's NOT on an international board so why don't you keep your "harassment" over there where it belongs. That is an apt word for what the other boards do on TK.

2) You really need to get a life. Leave her alone. Talking behind her back to a Priest does not validate your callout.

3) I find it hard to respect anyone who references sexual terminology in their signature whilst lecturing people on a Catholic Weddings board.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_virgincita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f7c8fe63-aaeb-497d-87f1-825fb07444d9Post:4e65d70b-a71f-4159-bd42-e4f1e0767e25">Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~ : 1) But she's NOT on an international board so why don't you keep your "harassment" over there where it belongs. That is an apt word for what the other boards do on TK. 2) You really need to get a life. Leave her alone. Talking behind her back to a Priest does not validate your callout. 3) I find it hard to respect anyone who references sexual terminology in their signature whilst lecturing people on a Catholic Weddings board.
    Posted by expiredbride[/QUOTE]

um, it's not a sexual term. Blue balls were used as a sign of the number of posts made by any one individual.  Blue balls were used as post counters for a good number of years.

and she referred to it as some "little pagen statue" above

"talking behind her back to a priest?    DED
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_virgincita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f7c8fe63-aaeb-497d-87f1-825fb07444d9Post:a4e40624-88b0-4b64-9836-95e05800fffd">Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~</a>:
    [QUOTE] calypso, I didn't think it was a troll at all, but I did find offense in the idea that a knot poster thinks she is very close to being the Virgin Mary. Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Seriously?  The poster said she chose the username because she thinks the Virgin Mary is pretty awesome.  She <em>never</em> said she was "very close to being the Virgin Mary."

My middle name is Marie.  It doesn't mean that my parents thought I was (or would become) like the Virgin Mary -- rather, they admired her and wanted to name me after her because of their admiration of her.  We do this all the time in naming children, giving them names of saints whom we admire.  In Hispanic culture, the name Jesus is fairly common.  Doesn't mean the parents think their child is equal to Christ -- just that they admire Him and wanted to name their child in honor of Him.

Edited to add:  I'm a member of another Catholic forum in which many members have usernames related to saints or names like "AveMaria."  No one there has ever claimed to be offended by such a practice, and I find your whole argument rather odd.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_virgincita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f7c8fe63-aaeb-497d-87f1-825fb07444d9Post:95851cd2-0341-4df4-95ec-13ff5fa3ae87">Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]: um, it's not a sexual term. Blue balls were used as a sign of the number of posts made by any one individual.  Blue balls were used as post counters for a good number of years. Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

I remember the balls used as post counters, but I find it very difficult to believe that you didn't intend the sexual double entendre in your signature.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This has gotten out of control. 

I do post in the "Latino" weddings forum...no harassment yet. Did you catch the part of my future family BEING spanish? As well as me having actually LIVED in Latin America for a time? Everyone uses the term "Virgincita" to affectionately refer to the Virgin Mary. I was a MISSIONARY. I led sacrament preparation and tutored children in a remote village and went to Mass everyday with the people there....all of whom reffered to Mary, whom they love and adore, as "la Virgincita"

I'm sorry to offend you, but I do believe I know what the word means...and have a better understanding of it than you do. 

I'm sure you had good intentions going to speak to your priest. I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt about that. Is he familiar with the Virgin of Guadalupe? This is apparition of Mary that appeared to Saint Juan Diego near Mexico City. 

I'm appalled that you think I am comparing myself to the Blessed Mother. That makes me want to vomit, as I would never do that. 

Are you done with me now? This is getting to be silly...and you have embarrassed yourself far more than you have embarrassed me, I'm sorry to say. 

JMJ
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey kids,

Let's let this one go.  Virgincita, welcome, it's always nice seeing new people here.  OOT, thank you for the heads up and warning.  Your knowledge of the Bible and random cultural minutiae is always impressive.  I was certainly not thinking of any Indo Christian statues when I saw her screenname, but I think that it's awesome that you pulled that out of your vast knowledge (I'm being honest, not in the least sarcastic).

It's Thanksgiving weekend.  Let's all be thankful to God that we have each other with whom to bicker and come for advice/knowledge.
    :)

edited December 2011
     "I can see how it could also be used to speak of a pagan statue who happens to be a virgin as well." from her second reply.

I'm outie
  • edited December 2011
    I actually don't think it is appropriate either.

I wouldn't have Jesussucks as my sn either for much the same reasons. There is an obvious reverence factor here.
  • ManwaithielManwaithiel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OOT, give me a break. You're totally using innuendo in your signature. Even if you're referring to something non-sexual. Don't try and act like it's anything more than a clever sexual pun. I join in with the OP thinking that you lecturing her on her "treatment" of the Virgin Mary while having that signature comes across as way hypocritical.

And I'm not even Catholic.

I also jump on the bandwagon of "why aren't you harrassing all the people who name their children Mary?" Clearly those people think their daughters are equal to the Virgin! Blasphemy!

Please.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • LouWho19LouWho19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The fact that this thread was started saddens me.  This is supposed to be a place for us to connect and share, not judge each other!
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    wow! OOT and MeghanandMicheal... (and anyone else who agrees with OOT) you all are RIDICULOUS!  virgincita's nickname is fine and not offensive to anyone or anything... OOT is BULLY!!! who calls someone out like that!  even if you did find it offensive you have no right to belittle her culture or her views on the matter and insinuate that she was actually trying to be offensive.
    And since you are so fond of asking your priest's opinion about things... why dont you tell him all about you flaunting your balls, *blue balls, that is* and see if he thinks THAT is at all "objectionable!"

Everyone report OOT!!  maybe if we're lucky she'll get kicked off.. i don't even think she is a bride.. i looked at some of her posts and all she does is bully... it doesn't even seem like she's ever given an honest reply or asked and honest question either..
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

i'm personally not a fan of reporting people other than vendors.  someone can type something offensive or bully-ish, we can choose not to read it or feed into it.

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_virgincita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f7c8fe63-aaeb-497d-87f1-825fb07444d9Post:1b3ff514-dbc9-495f-aab6-fcbe047e99f4">Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everyone report OOT!!  maybe if we're lucky she'll get kicked off.. i don't even think she is a bride.. i looked at some of her posts and all she does is bully... it doesn't even seem like she's ever given an honest reply or asked and honest question either..
    Posted by manduria[/QUOTE]

I disagree. While this post isn't an example of help and support, OOT has been very helpful and kind on this board. She offers a different perspective and does enter into debate, but no more than the rest of us do here. I cannot speak for her posts on other boards, but I see no reason to report her for anything she has done here.

Also - many of us have finished planning weddings and we hang around to help those that are in-process. There's no rule that states only brides-to-be are allowed here.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_virgincita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f7c8fe63-aaeb-497d-87f1-825fb07444d9Post:a4e40624-88b0-4b64-9836-95e05800fffd">Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]If a poster came on here with the name jesuscita it would just mean little Jesus then. calypso, I didn't think it was a troll at all, but I did find offense in the idea that a knot poster thinks she is very close to being the Virgin Mary. virgincita, I have to tell you that if you go on any of the other boards, the international ones in particular, you're going to get harassed beyond belief. <strong>I do worship the Virgin Mary</strong> but I would tend to ignore anyone taking her name in vain. btw, I did speak to my priest this morning and he found the name obectionable too when I explained what a wedding chat board was.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Whoa, when did we start "worshiping" Mary? I believe it is our intent to honor her, but not to "worship" her.

Secondly, OP was way out of line starting this thread. You should be ashamed. If anything, you should have sent her a PM ASKING about her sn.
    Anniversary
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_virgincita?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f7c8fe63-aaeb-497d-87f1-825fb07444d9Post:2c66b7f6-3d1e-4ce9-a454-a45aa8dca88d">Re: ~ ~ virgincita ~ ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I do plan on naming our first daughter Maria (when God chooses to bless us with her), and all of our daughters will have some reference to her in their names</strong> (Lourdes, Guadalupe, Rosario, Regina....etc.) My fiance and I have a strong devotion to Mary and we've already picked out names to honor her. Obviously we don't assume our future daughters will in any way be equal to the Blessed Mother....that would be silly.
    Posted by virgincita[/QUOTE]

<div>I find that very beautiful.  I also would like to name our first daughter Maria in hopes that she will emulate our Mother Mary.  But I don't think anyone would ever think she's higher than Mary, the Mother of <em>God, </em>who is even higher than the angels.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think knotannie would laugh at the fact you think the term 'blue balls' is offensive considering the knot is the entity that came up with the blue balls as a post count reference in the first place. You clearly have no concept of what you are talking about.
  • edited December 2011
    holy over reaction. OOT pointed something out. I'm not sure why that became "harrassment" or the person in question is absolutely humiliated.

I know I haven't been around much, but has this board really changed this much? Relax people.
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is silly and ridiculous i cant even believe i even read this whole thing.. shame shame..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I have no interest in getting involved in this discussion, but I thought y'all might like to know its actually spelled Virgencita.
  • edited December 2011
    It's amazing how often this board makes me want to strangle someone. Not very Catholic of me...
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards