New York-Hudson Valley

Photography Opinion: Paper Proofs vs. High resolution disk/ USB card

Hi Guys,
  So I met with 2 photographers this weekend that i really liked.  One was Jacob from NoDo and the other was Giovanni.  Both were similar in pricing.  What it seems to come down to the most is that Jacob offers a High Resolution USB card of our proofs, while Giovanni gives us the old school paper proofs.  Which means that we wouldn't have the rights to the photos.  Also, we are going to have to make the parent album ourselves because I have decided that it isn't worth the extra $$$ to buy them off the photographer.

So anyway, what is your opinion on Paper Proofs vs. High Resolution disk of proofs?

Re: Photography Opinion: Paper Proofs vs. High resolution disk/ USB card

• edited December 2011
    If you want to make the parent albums yourselves and don't get the rights with Giovanni I personally would go with Jacob being that you get the USB card which I am guessing you then have the right to print. I am going with EID Photography who gives us a DVD and the right to print.  Others may disagree but being you want to make the parent albums yourselves I think Jacob is the way to go. 
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You absolutely want the pictures on dvd or a usb drive. Paper proofs alone are pretty much useless. We got both a dvd and printed proofs with ours. The prints were nice to throw into traditional albums to save them, but other than that, unless I plan on scanning 1000 photos, they're useless.
    imageimageimage
  • BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is one reason I picked Jake. If you just have the prints how are going to have the reprinted say if someone in your family wants a copy ya know? With having the cd all you have to do is send the pic to cvs and it's not gonna cost a lot to have it printed. Believe me you're going to want the rights to those pics.

Jaimie
  • ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree that you want the digital proofs with full rights.  My photog gave us a proof book in order to choose photos for the album but we also got a High Res CD of the pictures so that we could print our own, or send to others, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    You def want a high res DVD of all the pictures!  We were able to make prints for family members and I made albums on Snapfish for our parents and grandparents.  I printed almost all of the proofs myself from Snapfish and just put them in an album myself.  It gives you so much more freedom so you do not have to have the original photographer make all future prints/albums.
  • edited December 2011
    We got paperproofs and then once we got our album we also got the High Res CD.  We own the rights to our photos so we can print copies at our leisure.

Personally I like the hard copy proofs. It was easier to flip through, design the album order etc.   Getting 540 pics to load on my laptop takes forever.  I muts have gone through my proofs a zillion times when we got them and then again when we were picking pictures for our album. I can't imagine having to do that on the computer.

And for what it's worth,  get the professional parent album.   My parent's LOVED theirs. It was definitely worth the money.
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_photography-opinion-paper-proofs-vs-high-resolution-disk-usb-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:fbcafef9-2cea-4bae-ae79-29189498858aPost:cb535af0-3c20-4575-9027-0901cc0e9357">Re: Photography Opinion: Paper Proofs vs. High resolution disk/ USB card</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got paperproofs and then once we got our album we also got the High Res CD.  We own the rights to our photos so we can print copies at our leisure. Personally I like the hard copy proofs. It was easier to flip through, design the album order etc.   Getting 540 pics to load on my laptop takes forever.  I muts have gone through my proofs a zillion times when we got them and then again when we were picking pictures for our album. I can't imagine having to do that on the computer. <strong>It's actually super easy. While it's nice to look through the actual photos, having the dvd with the photos is a million times more convenient. We can edit our photos, email them to whomever, create online albums - all things you can't do with a photo.</strong>

And for what it's worth,  get the professional parent album.   My parent's LOVED theirs. It was definitely worth the money.<strong>Again, I respectfully disagree. For what it sometimes costs, it's easier to use a site like albumboutique or somersetalbums - they design it for you, it's definitely cheaper than what most photographers charge, and it's the same quality.</strong>
    Posted by Bat937[/QUOTE]
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I gave my opinion.  It takes forever for the CD to load on the computer.  I loved having the paper proofs to lay out on the table and move around.  I also had an awesome photographer who would show us b/w vs color etc. 

The parent albums came out great.  Better than any 'diy' I've seen and it made my parents and Matt's dad very happy that they had their albums a month after the wedding.

Everyone is different. She asked for suggestions and opinions. I gave mine and stand by it.
  • edited December 2011
    Our photographer gives us 4x6 paper proofs. (We get them on Monday!) And I feel that will make it so much easier to design our album. Also, you can see how green the grass will be, and what color the bridesmaids dresses will look. With just the disk or flash drive, it might look one way on your computer verses someone else's. However, we have the opportunity to purchase the rights to a disk with the photos.

You might want to ask Giovanni what it would cost to get a disk with the rights to the images. (And what the cost would be at different times - 2 weeks after your wedding? One month? Two months? Six months?)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards