Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cheesecake?

I am looking at servinh cheesecake at my wedding instead of cake. The reason, cost in my rural area is extreme and the bakers are not very good.

My fiance and I love cheesecake also! I make one all the time , is it okay to serce this instead?

I won't be making my own also.

Thanks for the advice!

Re: Cheesecake?

• edited December 2011
    I can't see why not! If it's what you like, then go for it.
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want cheesecake, then serve it. Who cares if it's traditional or not? Just make sure that your venue allows outside food to be brought in from an unlicensed baker, otherwise you may not be allowed to serve it.

Danieliza from the Reception Ideas board served cheesecake at her wedding and said everyone loved it.
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We had cheesecake at our wedding and it was a big hit.  We got the pre-sliced flavored ones from the Super Walmart deli and they were excellent.  Pics in married bio of how we set it up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not everyone is a fan of cheesecake and some people are lactose intolerant, maybe you can offer a pie as a secondary option?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ken&Cass - I think you're opening a whole new kettle of fish with that line of thougt. What about the diabetics and those with gluten intolernaces? I'm lactose incompetant too, but I wouldn't expect a bride and groom to forgo their dream dessert just because I can't have a piece. On top of that, what about those people who just plain don't like cake or pie? You can count on them being in attendance too.

At the end of the day, I think it's important to try and reach as many people as possible with the food (let's face it, the food will make or break the way your guests talk about your reception), but it's also important not to sacrifice your own tastes and preferences.
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cheesecake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:6caa87e6-7073-4f9a-8298-3fa50235adfbPost:0fe79d5b-1646-4481-a2a4-397b140180d4">Re: Cheesecake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not everyone is a fan of cheesecake and some people are lactose intolerant, maybe you can offer a pie as a secondary option?
    Posted by Ken&Cass[/QUOTE]

Well not everyone is a fan of cake and some people are gluten or sugar intolerant.  No matter what you choose, there is bound to be someone on your guest list who won't want any, even traditional cake.  So you have to pick what best reflects your style and what you want to serve at your wedding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Chessecake sounds great! Only thing is it has to be refridgerated so it can't sit out in the room all night.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to go with cheescake. Thank you for posting a picture of what it looked like plated! It was very helpful to visualize it during the reception.

Now, all I have left is his mother.. who's gluten free diet..
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cheesecakes can be made gluten-free pretty easily (just leave off the crust!), which is one of the reasons that FI and I are having a cheesecake wedding cake (besides the fact that I vastly prefer it to "normal" cake).
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure I am there's an exception to every rule, I just know that half of my guests wouldn't be able to eat cheesecake which is why I spoke up. Something to think about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jroseberjroseber member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well in our area cake doesn't really cost much at all; but my FI decided we wanted cheesecake for ourselves.  We did a cost estimate and it would cost more to provide cheesecake to the guests so since my FI doesn't even like regular cake the two of us will eat cheesecake...

So I don't see anything wrong with it.

• LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cheesecake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:6caa87e6-7073-4f9a-8298-3fa50235adfbPost:70a3170a-a58c-4412-b5d9-0decca5291b9">Re: Cheesecake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well in our area cake doesn't really cost much at all; but my FI decided we wanted cheesecake for ourselves.  We did a cost estimate and it would cost more to provide cheesecake to the guests so since my FI doesn't even like regular cake the two of us will eat cheesecake... So I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Posted by jroseber[/QUOTE]
    If you're going to have cheesecake for you, you need to offer it to all your guests. It's rude for the bride and groom to have something that only they can partake in and their guests are not allowed. Cut something out that isn't important to you so that you can afford cheesecake for everyone or else find a different dessert that everyone is allowed to eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards