• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2011 Weddings

Wedding Rings

I'm so excited we ordered our wedding rings.  We were just looking to get ideas but did bring money incase we found something we loved and we did.  I can't wait to get them next week both of ours are being customized.  I loved that I searched all over the web and couldn't find anything close to either of our rings to show are families, so I know they are unique.

Some advice for people who haven't gotten them yet, start looking.  I thought it was too early still and we had so much time, but the jeweler told us he had a couple before us order for July 2012.  He said you want to get them soon because the price of gold keeps going up everyday.  I knew this was true but even more so with rising gas prices too.

Re: Wedding Rings

• Absolutely! I just want to echo what you said. I got a quote for a wedding ring 2 weeks before I went in. The quote was $1,200 for the half eternity band, when we went in the gold prices had already risen to $1,600.

YIKES!

It turned out that I didn't like that ring after all and ended up just getting a plain white gold band.

Definitely start looking. I kept trying different diamond bands (even ended up ordering two) and deciding that they weren't for me. I ended up with a white gold plain band and I love it with my half-eternity e-ring. Give yourself time to find something you love. One of my friends has had as hard a time as I have.

Congrats on finding your rings! I'm impressed that you'll have them so soon, each time it had taken 2-3 weeks for us!
  • Ditto about going to find it early.  I had mine custom made, and it came back, and I did not like the quality.  I don't know how it slipped through "quality control" but it did and I made them send it back to make me a new one.  Another 3 week wait :(  But I am glad it was early enough. 
    October Siggy: What I look forward to the most......sleep :) LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
    74 Invitedimage 64 Can't Wait!image 10 Can't Come!image 0 Can't Decide!image
  • I can't wait for mine to come in. We ordered them 6 weeks ago -- FI's was supposed to take 3-6 wks, and my bands were supposed to take 6-8 wks. His came in a week early, so I'm hoping mine will too!
  • we ordered our back in November and have had them since just before Christmas.

It's nice knowing that we have them, and while I try not to, I have twice tried mine on in a number of variants with my e-ring, since they're not matching.

The current plan is to get a small simple ring that I can wear with my wedding band, and have my e-ring with it's attachment wedding band seperate so I can options of what I want to wear when.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Oooh FI and I were JUST talking about our rings today. He'd like to go back to the sam jeweler where he designed my engagement ring, but we're not sure if we'll both be able to be home in MA until right before the wedding. So we may have to have them made out in CA when I move out there in just a few weeks! Since we'll want to have them custom made and also I have freakishly small fingers, sounds like we better get moving on this ASAP! Still not sure how much we'd like to spend/what I even want for mine.

Anyone have an idea of what a platinum band maybe half eternity band with small pave diamonds would cost? I think his will just be plain platinum but on the thick side. Would like to know what to expect. Congrats to everyone who's already found theirs! must be so exciting I can't wait:)
    Nimi and Little Bite Photobucket
  • We're ordering ours this summer.  We're getting them from a jeweler in the diamond district and he said that was plenty of time.  He didn't give us any warnings about gold going up.  I think as long as it's not a corporate chain that deisgnates the price, you can get the jeweler to give you a good deal.  They shouldn't be pressuring you to buy now, that may be a sales ploy.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • We bought mine around Christmas and used a bounceback coupon to get his in February... I am sooo glad we did that because of the price of gold.  His is a solid white gold band, and mine actually has quite a bit of gold on it.  I make him put it on every once in a while :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_wedding-rings-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:6d310455-9def-4476-9b62-e04835c042aaPost:fe1af392-6e57-48c0-8737-a2f8ed4303fd">Re: Wedding Rings</a>:
    [QUOTE] think as long as it's not a corporate chain that deisgnates the price, you can get the jeweler to give you a good deal.  They shouldn't be pressuring you to buy now, that may be a sales ploy.
    Posted by JoBell123[/QUOTE]

We didn't get ours from a chain either. The price of gold is going up everywhere, the chains are more likely to have a set price for a while and have sales more than independent vendors.  We went to a jewelry exchange center where there are all different vendors.  We originally went to the same stand my FI got my engagement ring but they were not willing to customize or give us a deal even though they remembered my FI got my engagement ring there and customized my e-ring for him then.  The stand we ended up with the jeweler was so nice and talked about customizing as soon as we got there and gave us 15% off if we bought both of our rings, so FI's was basically free with that.
  • The price of gold is why we didn't get gold rings at all - in fact, our rings aren't even metal (FI is allergic to almost every kind of metal, including the hypo allergenic kind, and we couldn't afford anything he's not allergic to) We got wedding bands carved out of crystal quartz. They were very similar to these: http://www.etsy.com/listing/64754805/madagascar-snow-quartz-gemstone-band?ref=pr_shop

We love how unique they are - even if my parents think it's stupid to get rings out of rocks.  
  • I agree, we won't be going with a chain, for the simple reason that FI got great service from the private jeweler he used for my engagement ring. Here's hoping we can eith find time to fly home together to MA sometime this summer or we can find a nice jewelry in California. Anyone have suggestions for the Monterey/Carmel CA area? I think we'd like platinum rings, to match my engagement ring. Still not sure about design or anything else yet.

Testing out the new May siggy.....
  • We just ordered our rings this past weekend too! His will be in tomorrow and mine will be in at the end of this month (it has to be custom made). The main issue I had was the price of platinum. My FI got my engagement ring in platinum, and the price of wedding bands in platinum is 5 times more than white gold! So I will be having a platinum ring and a white gold band (with diamonds), but my jeweler promised me you wouldn't be able to tell until the rings starting turning in about 10-15 years. Maybe by then we will be able to afford a platinum band :)
    Photobucket
  • Oooh Kristin- i LOVE st thomas! My mom's family has had a house there for years. Have you been before? You'll love it! Do you know where you are staying? I have to give you tons of recommendations if you don't mind:)
  • AngieB6AngieB6 member
    10 Comments
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_wedding-rings-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:650Discussion:6d310455-9def-4476-9b62-e04835c042aaPost:fe1af392-6e57-48c0-8737-a2f8ed4303fd">Re: Wedding Rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're ordering ours this summer.  We're getting them from a jeweler in the diamond district and he said that was plenty of time.  He didn't give us any warnings about gold going up.  I think as long as it's not a corporate chain that deisgnates the price, you can get the jeweler to give you a good deal.  They shouldn't be pressuring you to buy now, that may be a sales ploy.
    Posted by JoBell123[/QUOTE]

Nope, we ordered from a private jeweler as well and got the same warning!  Rings are ordered... my fingers are super small so we needed the extra time too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    221 Invitedimage 168 Attendingimage 33 Declinedimage 26 Not Repliedimage
    RSVP Date August 25
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_wedding-rings-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:6d310455-9def-4476-9b62-e04835c042aaPost:d11c58ca-d49c-4429-8548-e03cd2fe79f9">Re: Wedding Rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree, we won't be going with a chain, for the simple reason that FI got great service from the private jeweler he used for my engagement ring. Here's hoping we can eith find time to fly home together to MA sometime this summer or we can find a nice jewelry in California. Anyone have suggestions for the Monterey/Carmel CA area? I think we'd like platinum rings, to match my engagement ring. Still not sure about design or anything else yet. Testing out the new May siggy.....
    Posted by jackieandbilly[/QUOTE]
    Fellow Boston bride here - we bought ours at Barmakian Jewelers (Framingham) where my FH got my e-ring as well. We went for their yearly sale, with 20% off, we paid $1800 for my platinum, eternity (full) bead set round diamond band - total of 0.94 carats. For half eternity style, it was only a few hundred less, you pay for the platinum. But I LOVE it with my e-ring, its from same collection so they match well. You can try there before you leave if you get the chance!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards