Wedding Woes

dinner party question

you are at a dinner party.  main meal is a roast beef.  you know there are several vegetarians there. 

as the guest, does that affect what you put on your plate?  as in, do you take less of the veg side dishes, knowing that the vegetarians will be making a meal out of the sides?

as the host, does this mean you make more veg sides, or do you make a special veg entree?

Re: dinner party question

• jojobrnjojobrn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    If there were several vegetarians coming, i would have made something besides roast beef for a main course. There are plenty of vegetarian dishes that are good for main courses.
    And I wouldn't take less of the sides. I like and need the veggies as much as they do, the host knowingly should have accomadated.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    As a guest it wouldn't cross my mind to take less.

As a host I would make two entrees so my friends don't have to eat sides for a meal.
  • MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd make extra veggies.
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a vegetarian, I usually make a meal out of the side dishes. That, plus salad and bread is usually good enough for me. I don't expect a separate entree for myself, but typically people are overly accomodating, making sure I have enough to eat.

I only get annoyed when I've been at work functions and people who are not vegetarian take the vegetarian option specifically ordered for me and leave me with nothing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I would have made a veg entree. As a guest, I'd probably have been a complete idiot and forgotten that some guests were vegetarians and taken lots of vegetables. Roast beef is questionable choice...if it's dry or gristly then you're really screwed. Best to fill up on something you know will be tasty.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011

As I guest, I would eat my usual amounts of veggies.  As a host, I'd make more--plus a vegetarian entree.

• hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    loveshine, the work thing is part of it.

at work, we order a meat pizza and a veg pizza.  but the thing is, non-veg people take one slice of each pizza where the vegs can only take pizza from one of them. 

is it pushy to ask the vegs to go first?
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's rude to host dinner and blatantly ignore the dietary restrictions of your guests. I would probably take slightly less vegetable, all while seriously side-eying the host.
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's pushy. I would really appreciate it, actually. And I think your coworkers would appreciate the consideration.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'd order two veg and one meat so everybody has what they want.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    vegetarianism is a self imposed dietary restriction - i would say it was pushy if they were demanding to go first. 

as a guest, I'd take what I wanted, as a host, I'd accommodate my guests - one BIL is a vegetarian, and the other doesn't eat red meat. I make sure i have a veggie/non red meat option for them when they come to dinner. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards