June 2012 Weddings

Big dress related trip this weekend...and I'm so worried!

I was going to wait on posting about my dress until everything was done, but I'm so worried right now that I have to share.

I won a one-of-a-kind designer gown through an essay contest on a designer's blog.  The gown is at a bridal salon in Charleston, SC and the designer's PR person said they were flying me down, giving me a hotel, and having a little party to turn over the gown on Saturday, April 30th. They said they'd be in touch a week before with all the details.

I didn't hear from them until Tuesday, when the PR person called and told me they booked an early morning flight for me out of an airport that's three hours away (there are three closer airports, including 1 that's 10 minutes away).  In light of the fact that I'm getting a wedding gown out of this, I got over it and booked an airport hotel room on Priceline for Friday night so I wouldn't have to wake up at 4 AM on Saturday morning to make the drive.

The PR person told me that the bridal salon was covering my hotel and one of their staff members was going to pick me up at the airport and get me where I needed to go.  I didn't hear from the salon until yesterday afternoon, when they told me the hotel would be sending a confirmation "shortly."

When I went to bed last night, I had no new information.  I'm a business traveler and have never had loose ends 48 hours before a trip, so I'm now starting to get very nervous.  I emailed the salon staffer this morning and asked her for details about transportation, the hotel, and timing. 

It's just after 3 PM and I still haven't heard anything.  I have to admit that the last minute nature of all of this is sort of ruining my excitement for the dress.  I'm so worried!!!

Re: Big dress related trip this weekend...and I'm so worried!

• oh man hun i would be worried too. I hope it doesn't fall out for you and that everything works out. I am a planner and i just could not have loose ends this close to something, that is bad business and bad pr as far as i am concerned.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow. I would be worried too. Do you have a phone number for the salon/hotel/PR person? Since e-mail hasn't been very effective, I would suggest calling and asking about the details.

Keep us posted on what happens! I'm sure it will all turn out wonderfully and you'll have a beautiful dress by the end of Saturday to make all this worrying worth it.
  • Deep Breath.

Everything will be OK.

Do you have a phone number you can reach them at rather than via e-mail?  Close of business isn't usually until around 5.  They may be working on some last minute details themselves.  Do something else to take your mind off of it for a bit.  It will help the time go by faster and hopefully when you're done, there will be information waiting for you.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!  That must be super exciting.  I've been waiting to hear about the details of your dress since you posted it awhile back.  It's absolutely beautiful and so unique.  By looking at your blog, the dress looks like it fits your personality to a T and was just made for you.  Have a great weekend Smile

• Yay for winning the dress.  Boo for loose ends.

I'd be worried too.  I think you've done everything you can to try and figure this out though.  Not a whole lot you can do unfortunately.  Do you have anything in writing that says they will pay for the hotel?  That way you're covering your butt if you end up having to get one yourself.  They can reimburse you.

Good luck.  I hope everything works out!  Sounds like a great experience!
    Photobucket
  • I think everyone before me had really good advice, so all I have to say is congratulations on winning the dress and please keep us updated on what happens!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_big-dress-related-trip-this-weekendand-im-worried?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ed781473-8131-4872-81c4-87382d540963Post:035f0203-bced-49ac-8562-bd8d7e31f6e5">Re: Big dress related trip this weekend...and I'm so worried!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think everyone before me had really good advice, so all I have to say is congratulations on winning the dress and please keep us updated on what happens!!
    Posted by michellep1[/QUOTE]

I agree, all the girls gave great advice! I just wanted to add Congrats!!!! I've been waiting to hear the story about your dress! I'm sure it will all work out. Keep us posted!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's incredible, congratulations!

I'm sure everything will work out fine.  I understand travel frustrations,  I went to a grad school interview in February where I didn't know where I would be staying (aka where exactly I was driving to) until the night before I had to leave to drive down.  But realize the only thing that can truly go wrong with this is if you don't actually get the dress.

Take a deep breath, ride it out, and I agree with PPs, if you have a phone number or can find one, call it.

Best wishes to you, I'll definitely be thinking about you!  Regardless of the frustration, I'm sure this is incredibly exciting!
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Wow!  I ditto everyone else's advice and now am about to check out your blog!  Congrats!
  • now that i found the post it does seem legit and i would be phoning to ask details, i still say totaly bad pr on their part though.
  • I agree with all the PP's. Congrat's on winning the dress and have a great weekend trip. Let us know how it turns out

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • I would be worried too, but just try to take lots of deep breaths like PP said. I'm definitely hoping it all works out for you and that you're dress is amazing! Hopefully the PR person is just having a really busy week or just something else going on and this isn't normally how she is. Have you tried contacting the designer directly? I'm sure she wouldn't want this stress to ruin your impression of them and the good word you'll spread about them!
  • any news?  good luck, breathe!  and congrats,  how exciting, can't wait for more details!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic "June 2012" November Siggy: cake inspiration Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The bridal salon called me this morning and the news is stunningly good!

They're sending a town car to get me at the airport.  I'm going straight to the salon for brunch (Mimosas! They are so sweet!) and then the fitting.  Then, a little consult with the designer by phone (I guess he couldn't make it...his new collection debuts on Monday). 

They had me in an "ocean front" room at a resort hotel, but when she told them what was going on, they upgraded me to a villa!!!  Now, I wish I had asked my fiance to come!  Hee hee!  The owner of the salon said she was aiming to get me some beach time in the afternoon. 

I had already left for DC when I found all this out, so I scurried to the mall to buy a new bathing suit...I hadn't thought to pack one. 
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I'm glad that worked out!  Please let us know how everything goes.
  • very nice!
  • So glad it worked out! Can't wait to hear all about it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am so glad they got back in touch with you and things are now looking up. I can't wait to hear how it went!! Enjoy your trip

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Okay, ladies.  It's been quite a day.

After a delayed flight, I got to Charleston.  It was very strange to put on the dress.  It's mine, but it seems like a few steps were missing from the whole dress experience!  As the photographer clicked away, they told me it looked great, etc.  I was overwhelmed.

They sent me off to the resort to stay the night with all the leftover food (including cupcakes!), a gift bag with magazines, books and wine, and the dress.  At the resort, the bellmen unloaded everything and I walked inside the check in.  The town car zoomed off.  Only then did I realize that the dress was wet.

I think the bellman was freaking out more than I was.  When I got to my place (more a condo than a villa), I laid the dress out.  I found a smudge on it, but a part of it under one arm was wet.  The owner of the car company called me just to see how things went (he picked me up at the airport, but a different person took me to the resort) and I told him.  He later called me and said it was "just water."  On silk taffeta?

I'm sad because I'm in this beautiful place all alone.  It's hard to feel emotional about the dress, though.  It needs tailoring and then maybe I'll feel like it's really mine.
  • sounds like you are feeling sad, i don't blame ya though, it is hard when you are alone, does the dress make you feel good though? Is it what you wanted/dreamed about?
  • The silhouette isn't what I wanted, to be honest.  I didn't think it was as poufy as it is.  Of course, there are 4-5 layers of crinoline, so that could be fixed.

I see it as a ceremony dress right now.  I kind of think I'm going to be a two dress bride because I can't imagine dancing in it.

Of course, the seamstress I'm going to use for the tailoring might be able to take some material out of the skirt while she's taking it in.
  • Maybe once she takes some poof out you will think it looks better. Have you ever thought of just selling it then?
  • Maybe take some out? Or if it something that you absolutely do not want, I would just start over. It sounds like this whole thing has left a bad dress taste.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_big-dress-related-trip-this-weekendand-im-worried?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ed781473-8131-4872-81c4-87382d540963Post:b14e6e8d-78c4-4779-847f-28501444e925">Re: Big dress related trip this weekend...and I'm so worried!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe once she takes some poof out you will think it looks better. Have you ever thought of just selling it then?
    Posted by sweetcanadian1979[/QUOTE]
    That's what I hope. :)

The contest rules say I can't sell it for two years.
  • Do you absolutely have to wear it on your wedding day if it is not something you really envisioned? What about giving it away? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards