Military Brides

E-Pix in ACUs?

Is it alright to have engagement pictures taken with my FI in his ACUs?  We actually already did it and I love the results, but I wanted to make sure I didn't accidently break some rule before I went and posted the pictures here.  Thanks! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Link to Wedding Blog!
DIY Brides - there are some AMAZING ideas on craftster.org! If you end up over there, look me up: screenname is Haylie. :)

Re: E-Pix in ACUs?

• edited December 2011
    I don't see why not, someone else might know more.

I would blur out his nametag if you can see it in the picture, to protect you and your FIs identity.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I find it odd, because it's a combat uniform, but you've already done them, so post what you like, but as Hattie said, be aware of PERSEC.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Did he check with his command first?  My FI is only allowed limited time in public in his.  Like he can run into a restaurant to get takeout wearing them but he can't sit down and eat in the restaurant wearing them.  This a specfic rule to his command not the entire branch of service.  Not sure how that would translate into pictures. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Samantha175Samantha175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You are seriously fine and PERSEC can't be that huge of an issue since tons of deployed marines have pics of themselves (nametapes showing) on their facebooks.  I wouldn't really worry about that.  Also, I don't find it odd at all that you got E-pics with your FI in his working uniform.  I'm proud to see my H in his uniform and you obviously are too so go ahead and post them :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_e-pix-acus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6f45a20a-b0bb-45ec-a8fc-8901ae2b588dPost:9a39e84f-ee19-4339-a637-327c8f3c023b">Re: E-Pix in ACUs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are seriously fine and <strong>PERSEC can't be that huge of an issue since tons of deployed marines have pics of themselves (nametapes showing) on their facebooks</strong>.  I wouldn't really worry about that.  Also, I don't find it odd at all that you got E-pics with your FI in his working uniform.  I'm proud to see my H in his uniform and you obviously are too so go ahead and post them :)
    Posted by Samantha175[/QUOTE]

Lemmings.  Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right.  PERSEC should be something every service member and every military spouse should take pride in maintaining.  If they jumped off a bridge, would you?

Also, Marines is always capitalized.

OP, you SHOULD have had your FI ask his commanding officer <strong>before </strong>taking the pictures, not come on here <strong>after</strong> to ask a bunch of future military spouses if it's okay.  As far as posting them, just as anywhere else you should make sure PERSEC is considered (do blur out his nametag in any publicly non-password protected photos).  It is always better in the military to ask permission first of a commanding officer before using any military uniform in a manner that is not in the line of duty.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Also, your blog is great, but you need to either not post it on public forums or remove all references to your last names (like in the pictures of your Save The Dates).  Yet another example of PERSEC.  You should honestly do this whether or not your loved one is in the military.
  • edited December 2011
    You should check with the commanding officers to make sure it's ok (they will more than likely say yes - but it's still important to ask) and blur out his name for PERSEC for sure. That being said, I'm guessing your profile pic is one of the ones you're talking about, and it is really adorable! :)
    Our baby! image Sadie
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    ACU's, Cami's, NWU, basically any camoflouge uniform is meant to be a combat/working uniform. Clearly you've already done the pictures & posted them, but your FI should have read his uniform regulations. I know that for the most part Such uniforms are NOT allowed outside military installations, EXCEPT for small, quick stops to and from work. As a service member who wears these uniforms every day to work, as well as in the field, I feel that people that abuse the small privileges we have in our uniforms are the reason we have such harsh restrictions on the wear of our combat/working uniforms in public. Not to mention the wear of ANY military uniform in the public eye makes the service member an easy target. As for the posters that said he should have asked his CO.. You very rarely if ever would go straight to your Commanding Officer to ask him anything, let alone to authorize wear of a working/combat uniform for pictures. He should utilize his Chain of Command, and they probably would have said NO.
    The poster that said "marines" (Marines) have pictures on thier facebooks/myspace/twitter anything.. PERSEC/OPSEC is really cracking down on that. I personally have seen people go to captains mast and get reduction in rank for posting pictures/videos/ect.. that the general public shouldn't see, so yeah.. it kind of IS a huge issue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love seeing my FI in his ACUs. We had our photos made in them and they are perfect. He did however ask me not to post a lot of pictures of him in uniform while he is gone, bc of all of the crazies. I personally find him the sexest in uniform, so not posting the pics was hard. I think it's fine for you to have your E pics in uniform (if it's not breaking any rules.) But you might not want to post them on line or make them too public, Friends and family are sure to love the pics though. I know mine did.
  • edited December 2011
    Uniforms are not costumes.  They aren't for dress up.  There's a reason they aren't supposed to be worn in non-work related scenarios, as Sam&Luke pointed out so well.  I'm still learning lingo, so I didn't realize there was a distinction between "Commanding Officer' and "chain of command" - guess you learn something new every day!  But these men should know well enough to ask their chain of command if it's alright to wear a uniform for a photoshoot.  I would guess the answer would be "no". 

My boyfriend is a 2nd Lt in the USMC, and he won't even give me more than a peck on the lips when he's in uniform because it's not appropriate. If I suggested taking photos in his uniform, he'd unequivocally tell me it wasn't allowed.

Sure, you CAN do it, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD.
  • edited December 2011
    We did my maternity photo's in my FI's ACU's and when my daughter was born we did her newborn pictures with her sitting in he helmet, it's a part of who he is, and inturn who we are. I don't think that you are doing anything wrong at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I  think people are totally missing the point. Yeah. It's part of your service members life, the uniform. blah blah blah. It doesn't matter if you think it's right or wrong. It's WRONG. Its not an opinion..Its a regulation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My FI didn't have any problem with it, and his comanding officer has one of the photo's of my daughter in his helmet. I would think if it was that big of a deal, that he wouldn't have been ok with that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm totes going to get my engagement pictures with an M16. And when and if I have a baby, I'm going to pose her with SO's and (hopefully) my M16. 

Unloaded, I mean, I'm not crazy or anything. And if I dress up my baby in my future MARPAT, because combat uniforms are totes magotes c-u-t-e, I will not let her off base, don't worry! Proud military, proud civilian after all.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    Haha... I think it's great that all the women who are IN the military themselves are against this idea, and yet we still have people saying, "I did it!" or "I'm going to do it!" and "If everyone else does it, it can't be that big of a deal."

Oh, and your post about pictures with guns made me think of this... just in case some idiot decided to take that seriously...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/7914144/Bride-and-groom-accidentally-kill-photographer-at-wedding.html
  • Warner2011Warner2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My soldier has to ask his superior to wear his ACU's and they dont have a problem with it. To each thier own. And if you think its wrong then you dont have to look at her pictures or even give your 2 cents. I think the pictures are wonderful and I am going to have a photo shoot with mine in his ACU's. (with restrictions of course.) Like I said to each thier own. And we are all military girls and I dont think anybody should have an attitude about it. I dont believe its wrong. Good luck to you and your man Haylie04. Laughing
    His Pink In A Camo World
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The point is that HE should be asking HIS chain of command, not having HIS FIANCEE come on here to ask a bunch of future (and a few current) military SPOUSES if it was okay AFTER already doing it.  And the mindset, "Other people do it, so it must be okay" is a really dumb way to live, especially in the military.

What you did, Warner, is what should be done - have the guy ask his chain of command BEFORE taking the pictures, and then follow any restrictions they put in place (where you can post the pictures, coverage of his name patch, etc.).  Uniforms are not costumes to be put on for dress-up for a photo shoot.  Sure, we all have photos of our guys when they're wearing their uniforms in the course of their work (as you can see in my signature, at my boyfriend's OCS graduation) but they don't put them on just to take photos.  That's usually frowned upon.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards