Hawaii
Options

Parasols - tips/recommendations?

We're thinking of offering parasols to guests during the cocktail hour.  Our coordinator mentioned something about a difference in the types of parasols available.... something about different quality and materials??  Nylon or rice paper?  ...and not all of them open and work properly?  ...and all this time, I thought all parasols were the same!!  :)

I don't want to be picky about this, but I don't want to spend the $$ ordering a whole bunch that don't function properly either.  Has anyone had good experience with a company or any tips on what type (and size) of parasol to order?  I was going to buy them from Luna Bazaar, but there's so much variety available!  Which ones to pick??  Thanks!!  :)

(p.s.  what did ppl do about a parasol basket?  how did u make them available to guests??)  

Re: Parasols - tips/recommendations?

• Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought 10 parasols, they are paper and are from Asian Ideas website.  They are very nice quality, I didn't think we needed nylon as we are only using them for a day and if they rip they rip, but they are very nice quality. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know what's weird? When I called up Luna Bazaar to order the parasols, they actually told me that, because the shipping to HI would be so much, they would recommend that I go with a different company.

I certainly appreciated their honesty! Anyway, they recommended:

http://www.paperlanternstore.com/32socopapa.html

if you're on the west coast.
  • Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips, ladies!

AKWinterBride - I checked out the website and it's awesome!  So much variety!  It also has the chopstick favors that I was thinking of getting.  :)  Will have to check out how much shipping is to Hawaii.....

Alyson - thanks for the tip!  I was totally going to go with Luna Bazaar, since it was recommended on the boards before.  Thanks for saving me the extra step!  Gonna check out the site now....  :)

• Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fab - companies always try to pull the BS with us too cause we are in Alaska.  Luna Bazaar wouldn't even ship to us (cause apparently Alaska isn't a US state - ridiculous!),  Asian Ideas was great.  I got hand fans from them as well! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anyone find any deals on ebay? I'm finding super cheap paper lanterns on there, but looks like they ship straight outta China, wonder what the best deal is. I'm going to look into parasols on ebay as well.
  • Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm totally regretting my decision to buy the guests parasols. I always loved the idea and so I ordered mine from Luna Bazaar, and then when they came to my house I re-shipped them to our WC. She put them all in a tall woven wicker basket near the ceremony chairs and I even had a sign hung on it that said "Shade Yourself." Only 5 guests ended up seeing and using them, and the rest sat there all day. What a waste of $$!! If you get them, be sure to have your WC or someone else point them out, haha!
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks mauidandy!!  YES, that's definitely one of my biggest fears that I'll spend a bunch of $$ on something that won't be used!  :(  I might get a few just for a photo op though...  Can I ask what type of parasols you bought and did you find them to be good quality?  I'm still debating about nylon vs. rice paper.  A silly detail, I know, but still something I have to decide on nevertheless!  :)

Can I say that it's so good to see you back on the board?  Welcome back!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards