Wedding Invitations & Paper

Do I really need to tell my guests how to dress on the invite?

My MOH was telling me that I should mention something on the invitation about the style of the wedding. For instance, I should write "dressy casual reception to follow" (whatever that means).  Unless we're having a black tie wedding (which we are not), I don't see the need to mention anything about the atire on the invite.  I could be wrong though.  What do you guys think?   

PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do I really need to tell my guests how to dress on the invite?

• HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    MOH is wrong. Your guests are old enough to dress themselves.  Unless it's a true black tie event it's not proper etiquette to put a dress code on your invites.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you!  Thats what I was thinking too.
  • Nope!  I just put "formal reception to follow" on my invites, but I wasn't necessarily referring to dress code.  You could tell your close family/friends what the dress code is so when people ask they'll know.  I don't see a dress code as rude, and it's not that I don't know how to dress myself, it's that I hate being over/under dressed at a social function because I wasn't sure of the formality of the event.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That's a very good point.  I didn't really take that into consideration.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_really-need-tell-guests-dress-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3883cce6-0f97-4287-9c86-6bbc268393e3Post:dca5f9d6-4cec-493a-9f63-dc07db0f9385">Re: Do I really need to tell my guests how to dress on the invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope!  I just put "formal reception to follow" on my invites, but I wasn't necessarily referring to dress code.  You could tell your close family/friends what the dress code is so when people ask they'll know.  I don't see a dress code as rude, and it's not that I don't know how to dress myself, it's that I hate being over/under dressed at a social function because I wasn't sure of the formality of the event.
    Posted by AurorasEnvy[/QUOTE]

If guests are worried about being over or underdressed, they'll ask. If they don't ask, they have no one to blame but themselves if they feel that way at a wedding.

There is no reason to put "formal", "informal", "casual", "semi-formal", etc on the invite - the ONLY wording of that nature that should be used is when there is truly a white or black tie dress code (as in people will be turned away at the door if not dressed in that manner).

The time of day, the location/venue of the wedding/reception, and the formality of the invitations should be used to dictate how formal a wedding will be. Don't use casual invites for a formal wedding... and don't have your wedding mid-day at the beach if you expect people in gowns and tuxes.

Really, your guests are smarter than you are giving them credit for. And even if someone does show up underdressed, is it really any skin off your back? Odds are, you won't even notice.
  • I would also include dress code information if your venue enforces a strict dress code -- for example, a country club that requires coats and ties for gentlemen, or a church that doesn't allow ladies to have bare shoulders.

If you have a wedding website, you should include this information there, and use word of mouth.   Guests can usually figure these things out:-)
    DSC_9275
  • The style of the invitation itself is what tells guests how formal they should dress. 

Spread the dress code by word of mouth or put it on your wedding website :)
  • Great advice!  Thanks ladies. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_really-need-tell-guests-dress-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3883cce6-0f97-4287-9c86-6bbc268393e3Post:63988446-edf2-4c39-9daa-4cf9aaf07398">Re: Do I really need to tell my guests how to dress on the invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE] If guests are worried about being over or underdressed, they'll ask. If they don't ask, they have no one to blame but themselves if they feel that way at a wedding. 
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That was my point - obviously anyone who is worried about it will ask, which as a guest I still think is a good idea because not every bride thinks about the formality of her event vs. the formality of her invitations, unfortunately.

</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards