Chit Chat

TRADITIONS: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH???

Hello Ladies,

I wanted to get your opinions on traditions performed during the ceremony.  Ok so, my wedding will take place on the beach next year and I'm interested in performing the sand ceremony, the washing of the hands ceremony, and also the jumping of the broom.  These are all traditions that I think are beautiful at wedding ceremonies but would performing all three be too much!!!  WHEN IT COMES TO TRADITION, HOW MUCH IT TOO MUCH!?!?!?  Thanks and I look forward to hearing your advise...

Re: TRADITIONS: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH???

• I don't think that sounds like "too many traditions" so much as "very long and drawn out ceremony."  What does your officiant suggest?  Do a draft of the ceremony, read through it aloud with the three of you, and see how it flows.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Three shouldn't be too much as long as they are spaced out throughout the ceremony.  Do the hand washing at the beginning, the sand in the middle, and the broom at the end.  I would probably limit it to just those three, otherwise it might be more of a distraction.
    Photobucket
  • Ditto StageManager. It doesn't sound like too much if you don't have a lot of readings and such as well.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_traditions-much-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:527d08f8-abc8-46f0-bdfc-bea2272ad1ccPost:30054e09-3ed0-415a-ae74-f51ff576a645">TRADITIONS: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH???</a>:
    [QUOTE]jumping of the broom. Posted by blushing beauty[/QUOTE]
    My own little twitch, if you're going to jump it...please....call it a besom
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks Stage - according to Wiki, the besom is associated with pagan/Wiccan weddings, and "In England, jumping over the broom (or sometimes walking over a broom), became nominally synonymous (i.e. "Married over the besom") with irregular or non-church unions"

This is not the kind of 'jumping the broom' that I'm familiar with, and may or may not be what the OP was talking about.

Edit: Not that Wikipedia is the most reliable source of information, but I feel better knowing what PP meant now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Personally, I think having all three takes away from the importance of them.  I would find it odd to have all three things taking place.  But I guess if all three are REALLY important to you, then go for it.  As long as you aren't doing the ceremonies just for the sake of saying you did them.

side note: I don't understand the point of sand/candle ceremonies...I mean the entire purpose of the wedding is about combining the two families, so the sand/candle thing seems redundant
  • All 3 might be a bit much, IMO. But the broom jumping is really quick, so maybe that with one of the others?

• I think you should have the ceremony you want - but you should be prepared for questions such as "Why are you bringing sand to the beach?"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards