Wedding Etiquette Forum

Registry info on invite

Someone please explain this.  I've heard it is in poor taste, bad etiquette, tacky, and rude to include registry information anywhere in the invite envelope.  Why?  If my family is spending all of this money to host these people a party, why can't we let them know where we would like gifts if they choose to get us one.  Also, my parents and my FH's parents are swamped with wedding plans so why would I want to burden them any more with answering a million questions about the registry when I can get it done all at once? I know wedding websites are the suggested way to go but my older guests won't look at the website, old nature I suppose.  I'm just confused.  I guess I need to go to Barnes and Nobles and by a book with some lady telling me what is right and wrong in the wedding industry. I'm open to any explanation to why it's wrong so that I don't make a fool of myself to someone.  Thanks

Re: Registry info on invite

• It's wrong because then it seems as if you are saying that they must get you a gift. It looks gift grabby.

Answering where you're registered is not that difficult. Put it on the website and then you only have to answer the older guests that might not look at the website. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_registry-info-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:de99c869-9320-4d90-b806-78ff51ea8b80Post:b4e2bea8-5d92-4556-885d-f7eec71e5116">Registry info on invite</a>:
    [QUOTE]Someone please explain this.  I've heard it is in poor taste, bad etiquette, tacky, and rude to include registry information anywhere in the invite envelope.  Why?  If my family is spending all of this money to host these people a party, why can't we let them know where we would like gifts if they choose to get us one.  Also, my parents and my FH's parents are swamped with wedding plans so why would I want to burden them any more with answering a million questions about the registry when I can get it done all at once? I know wedding websites are the suggested way to go but my older guests won't look at the website, old nature I suppose.  I'm just confused.  I guess I need to go to Barnes and Nobles and by a book with some lady telling me what is right and wrong in the wedding industry. I'm open to any explanation to why it's wrong so that I don't make a fool of myself to someone.  Thanks
    Posted by khendricks55[/QUOTE]
    Because a wedding invite isn't about gifts nor does it guarantee that guests will bring gifts.  You invite them because you want them there, not for what they will bring you in return.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• You never mention gifts on an invitation, because it implies that you expect gifts. It's normal for someone to want to give a gift, but you never want someone to feel like they're being pressured to give one.

It's not that hard for a guest to figure out on their own where you're registered. There aren't that many major stores anymore, and you can search all of them for registries in about five minutes online. This website even has a registry finder tool on its front page that searches all of those sites FOR you. I promise your parents won't be burdened with people asking where you're registered.
  • And srsly, it will take them all of 5 seconds to answer "Bed Bath and Beyond" if someone asks, "Where is hendricks registered?".  It's not that hard.

• Alright, thanks guys! Enjoy the New Year
  • Why would you delete that? Plenty of other ladies come in here with the same question, and I'm sure they'd like to be able to read it.

Not that it matters anyway, since you were quoted.
  • deleting will only keep people from replying to your posts in the future, you realize this, right?

• I have a new question now.
    Is it poor etiquette to skip the RSVP (except for the older guests) and use a website instead?
    If that is acceptable, then is it ok to put my registry information on that website?
    The RSVP website is different from my regular wedding website because the URL on my regular wedding website is wayyy tooo long, so I made a different one with a shorter URL (in case anyone was confused Smile)

• From an etiquette standpoint, RSVP cards don't have to be included. They are often included for convenience.  You can allow people to RSVP online, but give another option.  Maybe a phone number would be good for those who are not web savvy.  

I mean this very politely.  You seem obsessed with your registry.  Put the info on your website.  Like others said, it's not that hard to figure out your registry. I bet if you were to google your name with your FI's name, your registry info would pop up.  Don't worry.  People who want to give you a gift will figure it out.  
  • I'm sorry, I don't mean to seem obsessed.  I promise I'm not.  I'm just confused because I've received several wedding invites where people included the information so I thought it was right.  Good thing I looked it up because I found out it was wrong.  Not obsessed, just confused :)
    Thanks, the phone number idea is awesome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_registry-info-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:de99c869-9320-4d90-b806-78ff51ea8b80Post:6520a235-db7b-4537-ac0f-00b3a6695eb8">Re: Registry info on invite</a>:
    [QUOTE].   I mean this very politely.  You seem obsessed with your registry.  Put the info on your website. 
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]

Yeah, be careful talking IRL about your registry too much.  It's probably not your intention but you are sounding very focused on gifts.

• I'm very very new to the board thing.  IRL?
  • in real life =-)

• sure thing

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards