Connecticut

BEST BUY REGISTRY?

I did not even know they had this option there.  Has anyone registered there and did you receive anything on your registry.  They also have a "buddy pitch in" system I have heard that allows people to chip in for a tv, or whatever is on your registry.
www.petanolucci.com

Re: BEST BUY REGISTRY?

• I haven't done it but I'd be very leery of a 'buddy pitch in system'.  What if you don't get enough buddies to buy the entire item?   It's like asking guests to buy your plane tickets on a honeymoon registry and then you can't afford your honeymoon because the plane ticket or hotel wasn't funded.
  • Hmm IDK about the buddy option & I have never heard of a Best Buy registry.
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • This is kind of an unsolicited opinion, but I hope you have a traditional registry in addition to a Best Buy registry.  I can't really put into words why, but I don't really like the idea of a couple registering for TVs and DVD players and computers, but not traditional household items.  I guess I just feel like the point of a registry is to help get a newly married couple established in their home by gifting them with the essentials.

I know there could be a hundred exceptions to this, I'm just replying with my gut reaction.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are also registering at a traditional place.  Unfortunately, I have everything we need for a home though so we need other options.
    www.petanolucci.com
  • To add to Manda's post, keep in mind that you can upgrade.  DH and I had what we 'needed' in our condo when we were first married but we registered for better cookware, serving items, nicer kitchen appliances and upgrades to sheets, towels, blankets and pillows.  We also registered for our China and didn't have to buy one place setting.  We now have service for 15!

Now after 4 years of marriage, I would love to be able to think about upgrading some items again - textiles will wear out!

• Banana makes a really great point. That is what we're planning on doing as we'll have been in our house for 3 years by the time the wedding comes along! 

I also haven't heard of a Best Buy registry, but i agree with previous posts about it being a little different. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a huge fan of doing what you feel is best for your wedding and your life, but keep in mind that some guests will end up getting you household items you may not want or need. I am having an untraditional honeymoon registry through our cruiseline, and also registering at BBB& Target for those who are not comfortable with a honeymoon registry. I think you can do a best buy registry, but make sure you have traditional ones too.

That being said, if you really need electronics, etc, have a small traditional registry and that's it- guests will figure out that you want cash. Same concept just not viewed as tacky in some circles!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_buy-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:ba498a3e-780f-4573-accf-ac2796b29dd0Post:8ac81d32-da1a-4dae-a4c9-6612758bb1a4">Re: BEST BUY REGISTRY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a huge fan of doing what you feel is best for your wedding and your life, but keep in mind that some guests will end up getting you household items you may not want or need. I am having an untraditional honeymoon registry through our cruiseline, and also registering at BBB& Target for those who are not comfortable with a honeymoon registry. I think you can do a best buy registry, but make sure you have traditional ones too. That being said, if you really need electronics, etc, have a small traditional registry and that's it- guests will figure out that you want cash. Same concept just not viewed as tacky in some circles!
    Posted by rswan412[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

I am all for "it's your wedding/your day" and all, hell I even did the same thing (honeymoon registry like your Best Buy idea).  But if you have more "traditional minded" guests, you may hear some poor feedback about it (like I did, from my in-laws).  Hence, what we did was register at 1 or 2 traditional stores with very small registries (even though we didn't "need" anything because we did live together, we registered for upgrades like new pillows/blankets/sheets/towels and other items that we may not have NEEDED but would have liked - knife block set, etc.).  We did get a couple hits on our HM registry, but we certainly caught hell about it, too, so be sure to give people some options!

If you keep the other registries small, guests will get the hint (we got mostly cash/checks in the cardbox for our wedding), and then that way it's a more tactful way of getting what you want.  I'm not sure how many people would react to a Best Buy registry, but it's a clever idea...
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards