Wedding Etiquette Forum

S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine

Those of you who have been pregnant or are pregnant, did you/will you cut down or cut out the caffeine?

If you're not pregnant, will you?

I didn't know you were supposed to do this til I came here. None of my friends that have been pregnant ever cut out caffeine. ::shrug::

I'm just bored. This may go nowhere.
(Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
(Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com

Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine

• You can have a little bit of caffine (I think)

Crap, when I get knocked up, I'll be screwed.
    Photobucket
  • I don't like coffee so I'll probably stay about the same with an occasional diet coke.  
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • I don't drink terribly much caffeine.  I drink maybe a coffee in the morning and then a soda in the afternoon.  I probably won't cut back unless the doctor tells me to.
  • Before I got pregnant, I didn't drink caffeine anyway, but I loved my morning cup of decaf. When I was pregnant, I couldn't touch the stuff. Made me sick to my stomach every time. Now I'm drinking probably 2 cups of half-caf every day (okay, 3 on the weekends).

• I was watching 'Pregnancy for Dummies' on Discovery Health the other night... don't ask... anyway, they said up to 2 cups of a caffeinated beverage a day is fine when you're pregnant.  I will probably take that as coffee, since I usually drink caffeine-free soda anyway.
  • kate51485kate51485 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pregnant-caffeine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3dd24e5a-3479-4f38-9ae7-5b8787312cd9Post:c052d6c2-573b-4454-9ea5-dfa519661daf">Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't drink terribly much caffeine.  I drink maybe a coffee in the morning and then a soda in the afternoon.  I probably won't cut back unless the doctor tells me to.
    Posted by navybaby1113[/QUOTE]

A coffee and a pop every day (not sure how loosely your 'maybe' applied) seems like a pretty frequent intake...
  • 2 cups of coffe or 7 cans of soda is the maximum recommended intake while pregnant. really though, no one should go over that anyway. opps i drink like 4 cups of coffee a day. i'm screwed lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pregnant-caffeine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3dd24e5a-3479-4f38-9ae7-5b8787312cd9Post:33435d18-b0b7-44c5-a3d3-f52923d98aab">Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine : A coffee and a pop every day (not sure how loosely your 'maybe' applied) seems like a pretty frequent intake...
    Posted by kate51485[/QUOTE]

That's really not that much caffine. Especially if its spread out throughout the day.
    Photobucket
  • I cut it completely out. It's just one of those things you should do to take care of your baby. That's when I started drinking decaf coffee, and I should have kept up the habit after the baby. Caffeine is not really good for anyone.
  • For both of my pregnancies, the very thought/smell of coffee made me ill, so cutting out caffeine was easy.  It does cross the placenta, so I guess it's not a bad idea to cut back on it.  However, in later pregnancy, when I was anxious because I hadn't felt the baby move for awhile (I was ridiculously paranoid and convinced the baby had died every time he/she went for a few hours without moving - it was stupid), my doc had me lie down and drink a Coke.   Worked every time. 
  • I cut down on caffeine when I was pregnant, but didn't cut it out entirely.  My OB/GYN said a cup of coffee a day wouldn't hurt the baby.  I drink half decaf now just because I get headaches when I have too much caffeine.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Who would drink 7 cans of soda a day? Holy empty calories, Batman.
  • Caffeine is the most dangerous during the first trimester.  I read an article about it that said your chance of miscarriage is really high if you drink caffeine during those first 12 weeks.  So I think I would cut it out at least for the first 12 weeks and then maybe phase it back in slowly.  I really only drink about 1-2 cups of coffee a day anyway though and I don't drink anything else but water, so I guess it won't be too hard for me to cut back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pregnant-caffeine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3dd24e5a-3479-4f38-9ae7-5b8787312cd9Post:6824acea-f712-4fb3-9446-2bb10aa426b9">Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine</a>:
    [QUOTE]2 cups of coffe or 7 cans of soda is the maximum recommended intake while pregnant. really though, no one should go over that anyway. opps i drink like 4 cups of coffee a day. i'm screwed lol.
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

Yikes.  That's a lot of soda.  But I drink a lot of coffee, I drink about 2 cups before I leave in the AM and then a togo cup on my way/at work.  Sometimes at night I'll have a cup too.
    Photobucket
  • KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    My mom always drank about 6 cups of coffee a day, until she got pregnant.  She couldn't stand the smell or the taste of it, either.  In fact, that's how she knew she was pregnant the second time around, too.

I've never been pregnant, but when it happens I plan to cut out caffeinated drinks, except maybe some tea.  As of now, I drink coffee every morning and 1-3 Diet Mountain Dews a day.  I am ok with that being terribly unhealthy right now, but my maternal instict says that for those nine months, it is your job to treat your body the best you can.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • I did.  I would have a caffinated soda here and there, but for the most part, all I drank was water. 

For me, it was watching the little heartbeat on the ultrasound beat at 150 bpm that made me stop.  It was already so fast that I couldn't imagine putting more strain on the heart. 

Now that I'm nursing, I can't have caffinee because it aggrivates her reflux. 

It's probably better that way, anyhow.

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pregnant-caffeine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3dd24e5a-3479-4f38-9ae7-5b8787312cd9Post:23203e69-5fff-4979-bf41-ed1cfb0fa71b">Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I cut it completely out. It's just one of those things you should do to take care of your baby. That's when I started drinking decaf coffee, and I should have kept up the habit after the baby. Caffeine is not really good for anyone.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's true. I try not to drink much caffeine now anyway. I'll have maybe a coke a day.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • 7 cans of pop in a day?!  Man.  That can't be good for you whether you're pregnant or not!
  • I won't only because my mom drank a boat load of coffee while she was pregnant with me and I have a condition where my hands and feet sweat ALL THE TIME. It's awful. This may have nothing to do with her caffeine intake while preg with me, but I'm not sure what else it could be.  No one else in my family has this weird "condition" and she admits she drank A LOT of coffee...

• Oh - you have to cut out artificial sweeteners too, so no diet soda (splenda is ok, but the others aren't)
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not huge on caffeine now so I don't think there will be any changes when I'm pregnant.  I don't even have a cup of coffee or a diet coke everyday now. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pregnant-caffeine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3dd24e5a-3479-4f38-9ae7-5b8787312cd9Post:c5dfc74c-6853-4b94-880b-7519aad0f7ff">Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I won't only because my mom drank a boat load of coffee while she was pregnant with me and I have a condition where my hands and feet sweat ALL THE TIME. It's awful. This may have nothing to do with her caffeine intake while preg with me, but I'm not sure what else it could be.  No one else in my family has this weird "condition" and she admits she drank A LOT of coffee...
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]

I don't think that was the cause.  Sorry.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pregnant-caffeine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3dd24e5a-3479-4f38-9ae7-5b8787312cd9Post:c5dfc74c-6853-4b94-880b-7519aad0f7ff">Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I won't only because my mom drank a boat load of coffee while she was pregnant with me and I have a condition where my hands and feet sweat ALL THE TIME. It's awful. This may have nothing to do with her caffeine intake while preg with me, but I'm not sure what else it could be.  No one else in my family has this weird "condition" and she admits she drank A LOT of coffee...
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]

My mom didn't drink caffeine when she was pregnant with me and I have that too.  Actually today is one of my bad days.
  • I did, I quit all my bad habits.

Then again I had to, I had a very rough pregnancy(if anyone wants to hear pregnancy horror stories I have some pretty good ones lol) You should stop the caffiene, caffiene is a  diuretic, so it's much easier to become dehydrated during the pregnancy, plus too much caffiene can increase the chance of fetal growth restriction.
    Vacation
  • I had a serious Mountain Dew addiction before pregnancy........it was pretty easy to give it up the day I found out I was pregnant.  I think during the entire pregnancy I had maybe 5 cans of pop. 

I know I could have gotten away with just cutting back on my intake, but I'm an overly paranoid mom and didn't want to risk it. 

Do you know my friends doctor told her that she should only cut back on smoking while pregnant?  She said that quitting completely would just stress her out and therefore stress out the baby.  WTF?  Who actually says that?  Of course she totally quit smoking, but man - how many other women actually listened to her that it was ok? 
  • mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I usually lurk here but I've got 2 little ones so I figured I would post. I cut back but I didnt cut it out with either of my pregnancies. I was so dead tired I needed it to even function. My Drs told me it would be worse on my system & the babies to cut it out completely than to just keep drinking it in moderation. They they're more concerned with pregnant women taking ibuprofen than they are their caffeine intake unless they drink a ridiculous amount of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure when the time comes, I will more apprehensive about cutting out alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, Rx allergy meds, and sushi for 9 months than about giving birth and raising a child.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pregnant-caffeine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3dd24e5a-3479-4f38-9ae7-5b8787312cd9Post:382af26e-0b0a-4f7e-9353-1fd33d5e711b">Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine : My mom didn't drink caffeine when she was pregnant with me and I have that too.  Actually today is one of my bad days.
    Posted by AlexiaANDRobert[/QUOTE]

I'm having a bad day with it too! I think it's because my body''s adjusting to warmer weather. I researched how to get rid of it and there's a surgery you can get. It's pretty invasive and they collapse a lung. FI is pretty against me getting it because of the whole lung collapsing part...but it's such a pain in the ass. It effects me socially and professionally. If I have to shake someone's hand I cringe.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pregnant-caffeine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3dd24e5a-3479-4f38-9ae7-5b8787312cd9Post:6ddbafc1-aa4d-4988-8dd4-2500faa87ee6">Re: S/O: Pregnant and Caffeine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh - you have to cut out artificial sweeteners too, so no diet soda (splenda is ok, but the others aren't)
    Posted by tidetravel[/QUOTE]

See, I'm not too sure about the splenda either. I'm not fully convinced that something produced in a manufacturing plant is completely safe to consume. I'll take my chances with regular sugar in moderation, thankyouverymuch.
  • I don't really drink anything with caffeine anyway so cutting it out won't be a problem.

That no artificial sweeteners thing kind of scares me though.  I just gave up soda (12 days soda free thankyouverymuch) and Crystal Light is the only thing getting me through for now!
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards