Christian Weddings

Open church invitation

First off, I apologize for formatting. I'm posting from my phone.

I have been attending the same church my entire life. It is pretty small; there are probably about 60 to 70 people who attend Sunday morning service. For events that everyone is invited to birthdays, graduation parties, potlucks, baby showers, etc. they are announced from the pulpit for a few weeks prior and an official invitation is posted on the bulletin board in the lobby for everyone to see.

Most of the members are an older generation, meaning that I have only seen one wedding at my church ever. This was announced and posted the same way. There was no way to RSVP for that event.

It's been accepted that my invitation will follow the same pattern. I know it's not very formal, but it's the way things are done. I am also inviting everyone to the reception. It's not going to be a very formal event think church potluck held in a community center, although all food will be provided the guests will not need to bring anything, so I don't need an exact head count or even specific names for a seating chart but I would like to have an approximate number for how many plan to attend.

I was thinking about posting a sign up sheet by the invitation name and how many attending. Again, I think it fits the formality of the event but I don't know if it's appropriate since this is a wedding. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and your opinions or solutions.

Just as a note: I really don't want to do individual invitations. For numerous reasons: Cost, Some children come to church with there grandparents but they don't live together and I don't want to worry about who to send things to, if new members join the church I want them to feel welcome but I don't want to have a constantly revolving guest list, etc.

Thanks!

Re: Open church invitation

• But won't you send individual invitations to people who do not attend your church?  In addition to the church announcement you could send individual invitations to church attendees (suggesting because I'm type A), including the children on the inner envelope to let them know they are invited as well.  Because invitations don't go out earlier than 12 weeks before the wedding, I wouldn't worry much about newcomers arriving, then not feeling welcome.  You can send invites as late as 8 weeks prior anyway.

If you really don't want to send individual invitations, I think you can request an RSVP.  If your announcement/invitation is in an entryway/hall, people will have to write down your phone number or email, but at least on their way out they'll have their bulletin to write on.  The church we attend and where we wed print our wedding announcements on the bulletin (actually a rewuirement), so if your church does that, I wonder if they could include an RSVP request or if that would be out of line.

I feel like the problem with the sign-up sheet is that it makes it sound like they're signing up FOR something, as in bringing something.  Make sure it's clear it's not a potluck, especially since there's that habit of thinking, "oh, church event, I'm brining a cake!"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_open-church-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e48c2243-49f8-4d0c-a320-1bc85271a7f8Post:dd690e05-311c-4b16-80d3-102d1a6215b3">Re: Open church invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]But won't you send individual invitations to people who do not attend your church?  In addition to the church announcement you could send individual invitations to church attendees (suggesting because I'm type A), including the children on the inner envelope to let them know they are invited as well.  Because invitations don't go out earlier than 12 weeks before the wedding, I wouldn't worry much about newcomers arriving, then not feeling welcome.  You can send invites as late as 8 weeks prior anyway. If you really don't want to send individual invitations, I think you can request an RSVP.  If your announcement/invitation is in an entryway/hall, people will have to write down your phone number or email, but at least on their way out they'll have their bulletin to write on.  The church we attend and where we wed print our wedding announcements on the bulletin (actually a rewuirement), so if your church does that, <strong>I wonder if they could include an RSVP request or if that would be out of line</strong>. I feel like the problem with the sign-up sheet is that it makes it sound like they're signing up FOR something, as in bringing something.  Make sure it's clear it's not a potluck, especially since there's that habit of thinking, "oh, church event, I'm brining a cake!"
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think for your peace of mind you need to get some type of RSVP. That way you can know for sure how much food to order. It was hard enough trying to figure out who would/wouldn't show up to my wedding and 99% of our guests RSVP'ed. Your caterer is going to need a definite head count.

</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Okay. I can work that request into the announcement. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards