Christian Weddings

Ceremony scripture

Don't usually hang out on this board. We're throwing around ideas for scripture for our ceremony. We will be using Ecc. scripture about the three strands and God's Knot. I don't want someone to read 1 Cor 13 as our pastor will undoubtedly refer to it during the ceremony. We've thought about a few others. What are you using or does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Ceremony scripture

• We used Jeremiah 29:11-13. I love the verses. :)

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
  • We has Colossians 3:12-17 read at our wedding:

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do,whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
  • The first two we used, and the others are ones I considered.

Romans 12: 1-2, 9-18

12I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect. 9Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; 10love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. 11Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. 13Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. 14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. 17Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. 18If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Matthew 5:14-16

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

1 John 4:7-12

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

Two are better than one, 
       because they have a good return for their labor: 
    If either of them falls down, 
       one can help the other up. 
    But pity anyone who falls 
       and has no one to help them up. 
    Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. 
       But how can one keep warm alone? 
    Though one may be overpowered, 
       two can defend themselves. 
    A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
    -- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Place me like a seal over your heart, 
       like a seal on your arm; 
    for love is as strong as death, 
       its jealousy unyielding as the grave. 
    It burns like blazing fire, 
       like a mighty flame.
    Many waters cannot quench love; 
       rivers cannot sweep it away. 
    If one were to give 
       all the wealth of one’s house for love, 
       it would be utterly scorned.
    --Song of Songs 8:6-7  (Hebrew Bible)

Colossians 3:12-17
    12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

• Thank you for your help! Still deciding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards