Wedding Woes

Movies for a 12 yo girl?

My niece is here for the week and I was going to build a netflix list for her.  She has seen all of the Disney/Pixar stuff and isn't yet allowed to watch more adult things (like no Glee type maturity yet).  Any movie recommendations? 

I have her watching Emma right now because I love that movie and told her she had to watch and to prove to her that Gwenyth Paltrow didn't used to sing every time she saw a camera. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Movies for a 12 yo girl?

• hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    princess bride, yo!
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are the Harry Potter movies too old for her?

What about Zathura?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

They are really old school, but Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Space Camp were my favorites around that age.

• baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is still a favorite for me, but if she's not allowed Glee, I can't imagine all the boy-kissing and mild swearing will be acceptable.

You may be on the right track with mild costume dramas. I watched anything with gowns in it when I was that age (and still). Maybe Hollywood classics? One of the versions of Little Women? 
  • edited December 2011
    I love A League of Their Own when I was her age.  Any jokes that weren't age appropriate went over my head.

The Sandlot, 13 Going on 30, My Girl, Clue are some others that come to mind.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Oh, MUSICALS! I watched bunches when I was an early teen - Brigadoon, Camelot, West Side Story, Oklahoma!, Carousel, My Fair Lady, Sound of Music. 
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Oooh, yes, go for the classics.  Even when the people have sex in those, it's understood by them walking up stairs and coming back down, or other such devices. 
  • edited December 2011
    I was big into musicals too - particulatly Guys and Dolls, The Pajama Game, Showboat, State Fair,Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Singin' in the Rain.
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Excellent suggestions.  Thank you.  She does like SOM, so I'll see if I can turn her onto other musicals.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    MARY POPPINS!
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anything on Disney. Just pull up the children & family section of netflix (see how I assume everybody has netflix there?) and let her go to town.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Holes - bonus it has a young Shia LeBouf.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards