Hawaii
Options

Cakes by JoAnn - help me decide which flavours!

We have our cake tasting with JoAnn the day after we arrive in Maui and I can't decide which six flavour combinations to try. Help ladies! Which flavors did you love the most?!

Cake: Chocolate, Lemon, Vanilla, Carrot

Fillings: Chocolate Mousse, Raspberry Mousse, Vanilla Custard, Chocolate Custard, Coconut, Passion Fruit, Chantilly (what exactly is this?), Strawberry Mousse, Mango Mousse, Baileys Custard, Strawberries and Cream, Lemon, Cream Cheese

Such a hard decision!

Re: Cakes by JoAnn - help me decide which flavours!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Chantilly cream is like a light custardy flavour.

I'd definitely go passion fruit. That's one of my all time favourite flavours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding cake with be:

Vanilla cake with Mango Mousse
    Chocolate cake with Baileys
    Maybe something with fresh strawberries & cream.

I normally love passionfruit, but not the one that came in our cupcake.
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmmmm, I would like to try the Lemon with the Raspberry Mousse!  I think that just sounds wonderful! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_cakes-joann-decide-flavours?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:5745f0c6-be95-4bb6-a9be-b293883328eePost:c05baef3-6cb6-42f2-95d9-5b469ea6701a">Re: Cakes by JoAnn - help me decide which flavours!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mmmmm, I would like to try the Lemon with the Raspberry Mousse!  I think that just sounds wonderful! 
    Posted by AKWinterBride[/QUOTE]

Oooh, we had this.  It was delicious.  The raspberry mousse was just a tad sweet for our tastes, but it was a really interesting combo.  YUMS.

I don't want to wait for my wedding to have more Joanne cake!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I loved our tasting! FI wanted to schedule another one just to get more sweets.

We tried the Chocolate, vanilla and lemon cakes.  
    • We thought the vanilla was a tad dry and plain
    • The chocolate and lemon were amazing!

We tried Chantilly, raspberry mousse, chocolate mousse, vanilla custard, bailey's custard.
    • She described Chantilly as whipped cream with extra butter.  It tastes a bit like the vanilla custard, but richer!  **We loved the chocolate with Chantilly, but it's super rich**
    • Raspberry mousse was amazing! We thought ours was the perfect balance between sweet and tart.  She said she could also add real raspberries on the day of.  **We liked the raspberry the best with the lemon cake**
    • Bailey's custard tastes just like it sounds, but it was a bit much for us.
    • Chocolate mousse and chocolate custard were yummy.  The mousse is obviously fluffier and lighter tasting than the custard, light fluffy brown vs. really dense, moist dark brown texture.  Needless to say, our "sweet tooth"s liked the custard better.  Other than that, they're hard to tell apart. 
    • I can't even remember the vanilla custard, so that may tell you something about it.  

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You seriously can't go wrong with JoAnn!

We went with a 3-tier cake and had vanilla cake with strawberries and cream (AMAZING!!!!), lemon cake with raspberry mouse (also so amazing!!!!) and chocolate with vanilla custard (very good, but came in 3rd for me out of these 3 combos). Enjoy!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

JoAnn is making our cake in chocolate with Bailey's custard, and vanilla cake with strawberries and cream (turns out it's fresh, sliced Maui strawberries layered over a Grand Marnier cream.. omg..).

Haven't tasted anything (and won't until we're Mr. and Mrs.!), but from what I hear around here, I trust it will be incredible!  Just 19 days to go!

we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My favorite, and what we got on our bottom layer, was the lemon cake with chantilly filling, and we LOVED it.  It was light and airy and refreshing, and we got lots of compliments on it.  Her vanilla cake is also really good, but we preferred the lemon.

We liked the raspberry filling with the chocolate cake, too.  If I'd had my way, that would have been our top layer, but H prefers carrot cake, so we went with that instead.  :)

Neither of us liked the lilikoi filling (in fact, we couldn't stand it).  I was surprised b/c we like tangy flavors, but it just wasn't good (and this is coming from someone who likes how lilikoi tastes in other things).  We also weren't fans of the mango filling, although it was better than the lilikoi.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards