Ohio-Cincinnati

Photographer recs?

Hi ladies -

I'm looking for photographer recs. I'm from Cincy originally (& both our familes are still there), but we are planning from out of state. So when I am in town I only ever have a day or two to meet with vendors.... so I'm trying to narrow it down to only 3ish photographers that I actually meet with!

I know some of you have some gorgeous artsy pics of the two of you & the bridal party.... but those are not all that important to me. We are not doing any kind of long excursion where we go all over the city and take pics of us & the bridal party. Just a few at the church & reception site is good for me! I'm more interested in someone that is good at just being with us all day & capturing some moments that have more of a candid feel to them.

No real set price range, but avoid throwing out those top-dollar type recs... those are more than we are willing to pay!

Thanks so much!

Re: Photographer recs?

• edited December 2011
    I think it might be helpful if you actually give us a pricepoint to go by.  No more than $3k?  No more than $2k?  No more than $1k?
  • edited December 2011

I would recommend Amanda Donaho Photography... we aren't running all over the place.  We'll just be at the ceremony & reception site.  She has 3 different packages to choose from depending on what you are looking for.  GL!

www.donahophotography.com

• edited December 2011
    We used Chad Moon (Chad Moon Photography) and he did an awesome job.  He spent the whole day with us and did such a great job at getting the candid shots.  We did some posed pictures as well.  His wife works with  him and during our cocktail hour she put a slideshow together of pictures from earlier in the day (girls and guys getting ready, some of the posed pics, plus candid shots taken while we were doing posed pics).  They displayed the slideshow during the reception and the guests raved about that.  He was great throughtout the whole planning process and he was so relaxed and laid back and very great to work with.

www.chadmoon.com
    chad at chadmoon.com
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hsnodgrahsnodgra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Grrr, I knew someone would demand a price range :)

I guess if I have to put a top price maybe $3000? There seem to be so many talented photographers around here that I think would have a hard time justifying a price any higher than that!

Thanks Abby & tb... Both Amanda & Chad seem great... I already sent off emails to both of them!
  • mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend my photog, Steve Lyons. We booked him for under 3k.  He was amazing and so much fun to work with. We did run around town :) because it was fun and even more fun to look back at the pictures and all the scenery and parts of the city we love, but he is open to 1 place or 15.  www.lyonswedding.com

I also liked April with Bluebird Photography and Wagner Photographics.
    GL!
  • edited December 2011
    Woohoo!

Thanks for the price point.  Now I don't feel bad recommending the following peeps.  I'm fairly certain you shouldbe able to find a package with all of them that falls within that:

We went with Steph Carson, www.stephcarson.com (photo goddess extraordinaire - you can see pics in my bio), but we also seriously looked at the following people:

Steve Lyons - www.lyonsphotography.com
    Cindy Wagner - www.wagnerphotographics.com

We also looked at Tine Hoffman, but she was booked for our day.  I did get to use her for bpics though (and she is FABULOUS at those, best in the Cinti area IMO) so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her: www.tmphotography.net

Finally, I hadn't heard of them before seeing kelklump's wedding, but Studio3z's work is impressing me lately - http://www.studio3z.com/

hth, and gl!
  • mschneid02mschneid02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are using Geri Ciulla http://www.ciullaphotography.com/. we loved her work and she seems so nice and pleasant to be around.  She used to work for Steve Lyons.
  • edited December 2011
    rachelspearsphotography.com
  • jenn1981jenn1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we used white photography and were very happy with our photos.

www.whiteimagery.com
    Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sandmammsandmamm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    michael bambino co. - michael is amazing and does all the engagement photos but is higher than 3k if you chose him for actual wedding day. however, he has many very talented photographers that work for him that are within your price-range. we are using steve bova within the company. his profolio was awesome and all porfolios can be seen on their website.

good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Todd Pellowe, he's a journalistic photographer so he focuses on capturing honest, un-posed special moments. He's expensive but does amazing work. He's actually out of Louisville, though, so it might be harder to set up a meeting with him. We booked him without ever meeting, something I was against doing from the start. But we didn't want our date to get booked up before we got a chance to meet.

Check out his portfolio and blog: http://tpellowe.com/

I also really love Tine Hoffman's work.
  • hsnodgrahsnodgra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks for all the recs... I think I'm going to have a hard time narrowing it down to just the few that I decide to meet with!
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Ron Wood photography--our package is under $2000 for e-pics and 8-10 hours on the wedding day.  I loved the candid type pictures also, and our photographer had some great examples of that.  They also have a package including videography for about $2600 I think. 
  • kirbkirb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    White Lotus Studios- they do a GREAT job and they are a lot of fun! www.whitelotustudios.com
  • edited December 2011
    We're going with Kim Long. http://www.kimlongphotography.com/
    I looked into Todd Pellowe but prices were out of our budget (and will be out of your sounds like). Kim also does the photojournalistic style we love and is extremely talented, very nice, & more than fair pricing (her highest package is 4k). A few other knotties have used her and were thrilled (how I'd found her) but she doesn't get as much press on here as some of the others. Definitely worth checking out!! Best of luck! I well remember not too long ago when my eyes were glazing over from websites and portfolios, trying to choose :)
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I booked Tracy Doyle at http://www.tracydoylephotography.com.  Her packages start at $1.9k.  She's very talented and for the more budget-conscious bride.

I also had my engagement session with Written Bliss Photography at http://writtenblissphotography.com/blog.  She starts at $800.  While she's based out of Columbus, she quoted for me a travel fee of $75 to downtown Cincinnati.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I did a whole lot of research and decided to go with Fyrefly Photography. After meeting Nathan and seeing his work, we are confident that he is worth the price! He's in your budget as well. Oh, also, a few days after signing our contract, I came home to find a cute little bag hanging from my front door. It was a goodie bag from Nathan, a "Thank You" for choosing him. I highly recommend him as he goes the extra mile!  I can't say the same for the other local photographers I checked in to.  http://www.fyrefly.com/
  • edited December 2011
    The Visionary Studio has a journalistic approach which seems like what you want, he captures the moment as it happens, unlike some who like to fake it after the fact.  Very artistic and easy to get along with.

• edited December 2011
    Definitely Ron Shuller.  http://www.weddingsandmore.com

And he's a best of the knot!
  • edited December 2011
    We just booked Studio 3 Photography (studio3photographygallery.com) for our Jan 22nd wedding. We just love these gals and their pictures are amazing. We had our engagement session this past Sunday (yesterday) and I thought it was going to be terrible because of the rain and they made it really fun. They had this neat umbrella that was black, but had blue skies on the interior.

We had about 10 mins of sunshine and then it rained the rest of the time. They made it super fun, and they got soaking wet taking our pictures and keeping us dry. They put up a few teaser pictures last night and then said the rest will be up by Wednesday. I am excited to see how they all turned out!

We were also happy with their pricing. We chose a package with 2 photographers, a storybook, prints, cd of all and videographer for $2,300. They did my friends wedding for 800, thats how I found them.

Does anyone rec a good hair and make up gal that will come to you? I have 8 bridesmaids so I think I may need more than one person. How much time should I plan for the hair and makeup? Ahhh so many little details!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards