Attire & Accessories Forum

Does ANYONE wear a veil in front of their face anymore?

All the weddings I've been to lately, the veil is always in the back when the bride is coming down the aisle.

So, just taking a poll/getting opinions.

How many of you wore/will wear your veil in front of your face?  Why or why not?

PS - I will be wearing a blusher over my face.  Seems fitting since I having a pretty traditional wedding (my dress is long sleeved, after all). 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Does ANYONE wear a veil in front of their face anymore?

• I would really like a blusher. I love the look and think they take such beautiful pictures. And I'm having a big church wedding, so I think it would be appropriate. I am going to try on my MOH's veil, which doesn't have a blusher, with my dress when I go home again, and I feel like if that works it might be silly to spend the money. But I may just say oh well and get one with a blusher anyway. 

At any rate I'm hoping to have the veil attached to my hair at the crown instead of more on the back of my head because I'll probably be wearing my hair half up half down. 
  • aro1589aro1589 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I think you can buy just the blusher pretty cheap.  I think David's sells them for $25?  It's a seperate piece so you can add it to any veil
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm not wearing a veil at all. My grandmother is probably going to have a panic attack when she sees me.
  • My mum wants me to wear a blusher but I'm not sure.
  • I didn't wear a blusher.  I spent way too much money on my hair and makeup to cover it up, plus I'm just not a huge fan of the look.  Plus, I wanted to be able to see everything clear as day.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've been to 10 weddings in the past 2 years including my own and not 1 bride wore a blusher.  My MUA actually says blushers ruin makeup because they rub and the blusher gets dirty and the face can get streaks from the rubbing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't wear a blusher because it would have just bothered the heck out of me.  In fact, I decided about 20 minutes before my ceremony that I was going to wear a veil.  I had made one about a month or so before my wedding just in case because for as long as I can remember I never wanted to wear one but once I was dressed we took two pictures, one with a veil and one without.  The veil really brought everything together so the veil went on!

• I wore a birdcage veil over my face.  Loved it.  Wish I could just wear it, like to the office.

However, I did take it off about 10 minutes into the reception.
  • I'm wearing a blusher mostly because it is what my mom wants me to do. I'm fine with it but I am worried about it looking silly after it is flipped over if it isn't smoothed out. I have to remind one of my girls to fix it!
  • I wore a blusher for my first look pics and it looked really cute. Looking back I would have liked wearing it down the aisle but then flip it back at the end of the aisle (rather than waiting until the end of the ceremony/kiss) because I wouldn't want to look like a beekeeper in every ceremony pic. 
  • I'm not wearing a veil at all.

Anniversary
  • I bought a mantilla, so no blusher for me.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • No blusher for me either. I'm REALLY not a fan of poofy veils, and I didn't want a big ol' mess of a thing once it was lifted back. Plus, I really want to be able to look into my fiance's eyes when I'm walking down the aisle :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_does-anyone-wear-a-veil-in-front-of-their-face-anymore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:e13eae97-64d1-4664-b89d-fd2d9b4bd80ePost:39dbff54-f600-4661-88c8-155ae36eb9dd">Re: Does ANYONE wear a veil in front of their face anymore?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you can buy just the blusher pretty cheap.  I think David's sells them for $25?  It's a seperate piece so you can add it to any veil
    Posted by aro1589[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>That's really good to know. </div><div>
    </div><div>Nola- I've seen some really pretty first looks with blushers. I think they whole "when do I flip it?" would be the problem I had, can you do it when you get to the end of the aisle? I'm wondering now how that would work. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_does-anyone-wear-a-veil-in-front-of-their-face-anymore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:e13eae97-64d1-4664-b89d-fd2d9b4bd80ePost:46ef3c7c-662b-4c4c-b6c2-0992471df2ff">Re: Does ANYONE wear a veil in front of their face anymore?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does ANYONE wear a veil in front of their face anymore? : That's really good to know.  Nola- I've seen some really pretty first looks with blushers. I think they whole "when do I flip it?" would be the problem I had, can you do it when you get to the end of the aisle? I'm wondering now how that would work. 
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

You can always have your father or whoever is walking you down the aisle flip your veil back.  That way it won't be covering your face during the entire ceremony.

• catwinecatwine member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I've been to a few weddings where the bride wore a veil while walking down the aisle with her father and he lifted it over her head. 

I'm not wearing one during the ceremony becuase I don't like them and my fiance wants to see my face.  I'm probably making a birdcage veil but just for pictures.
  • I am wearing a blusher and my dad is lifting it when he gives me away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Very traditional Jewish brides still wear them. That's not exactly my situation, but I will. We'll figure out at the rehearsal who and when it gets flipped back.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_does-anyone-wear-a-veil-in-front-of-their-face-anymore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:e13eae97-64d1-4664-b89d-fd2d9b4bd80ePost:644fba7d-ce0c-443c-95da-c67322037111">Re: Does ANYONE wear a veil in front of their face anymore?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't wear a blusher.  I spent way too much money on my hair and makeup to cover it up, plus I'm just not a huge fan of the look.  Plus, I wanted to be able to see everything clear as day.
    Posted by AurorasEnvy[/QUOTE]

This was me, too.  Plus, it itched!
  • I'm planning on wearing one. We're getting married in a church and my veil is a cathedral one with a blusher and when I tried on my dress with the blusher in front, it just looked "right." I think my dad will flip it when he gives me away because sitting through readings and the homily just seems like a long time until "kiss the bride," you know? Besides at that point, I think my FI would appreciate just focusing on kissing me and not dealing with my "crazy" headwear!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • londi42londi42 member
    First Comment
    I'm wearing a blusher and my dad will lift it.  I have a pretty traditional dress and it was so pretty when I tried it on at the bridal shop.
  • babe915babe915 member
    First Comment
    Im just having a birdcage. I dont like the big veils theres no point in spending hundreds of dollars on a veil that is not doing its purpose and I cant see myself going without a veil so thats why i chose a bridcage. I havent seen a blusher for a long time! Most people do without now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_does-anyone-wear-a-veil-in-front-of-their-face-anymore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:e13eae97-64d1-4664-b89d-fd2d9b4bd80ePost:87493694-d104-43bc-b008-920f718639c8">Does ANYONE wear a veil in front of their face anymore?</a>:
    [QUOTE]All the weddings I've been to lately, the veil is always in the back when the bride is coming down the aisle. So, just taking a poll/getting opinions. How many of you wore/will wear your veil in front of your face?  Why or why not? PS - I will be wearing a blusher over my face.  Seems fitting since I having a pretty traditional wedding (my dress is long sleeved, after all). 
    Posted by aro1589[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I think its still classy to wear a veil in front of the face. However bc the time have changes brides wear a lot of bird case veils instead of typical traditional. Have you concidered a birdcage veil? I found this site with a very large selection of veils at very good prices:</div><div><a href="http://www.myweddingoutlet.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.myweddingoutlet.com/</a> </div><div>
    </div>
  • I loved the comment about looking like a beekeeper! The face-covering tradition is a little too much like the traditions behind the burqa, for me. At some point, traditions become antiquated. It's up to the individual, of course, but for me, the burqa look is out for good in a modern world.

• ^^^interesting comparision but what do you make of the fact that most veils are transparent? (if not all, I obviously haven't seen every veil everywhere but all that I've seen are see-through.) I mean, a lot of brides who wear veils also wear strapless dresses (I am;) I'm not sure that's quite in line with the whole idea of "covering up." I dunno, I agree that it's old-fashioned but considering a lot of people see the burqa as oppressive, the comparison doesn't sit very well with me. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards