Wedding Etiquette Forum

I can hardly keep my eyes open.

I'm pretty sure my brain has stopped functioning for the holiays. It doesn't help that my boss is out of the office today and I'm all alone in here.

It's not that there's nothing to do...I've got paperwork to file, utilities to turn on, and leads to follow up on...however I dont want to do any of it.

I'm totally debating forwarding the phones to my cell phone and claiming I'm heading to visit a client and going to the SS office to change my name. My luck, though, my boss will call a million times and I'll get caught. Boo.

Please...someone...anyone...entertain me. Anyone have anything awesome going on today?

Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.

• I am debating going to get a coffee. I too have things to do and just don't wanna, so I'm thinking maybe giving myself 10 minutes of break plus a caffeine injection might then kickstart me into productivity.

But I'm too unmotivated to decide whether I should go or not.
  • I can't help.  I'm having the same exact day.  My office is full, though, and everyone else is super busy.  I'm working a stretch assignment outside of my normal role this month.  I have so much to do that my brain has shut down.  I'm pretty much staring at my wall.  We could play hangman, if you want. 

A CW who is on maternity leave just brought in her baby.  I have a cold so I don't want to go near her, but now I'm sad because I very much want to cuddle the baby.  Now I'm dealing with the "when are you going to try for your little girl?" comments, like my two children aren't good enough because they came with penises.  I hate people. 
  • I brewed a pot of coffee and pulled out my super special flavored creamer that I only use when I'm really needing good coffee - it's not working. Motivation seems to be eluding us, Em!

Maybe I'll give myself a mini-manicure at my desk. I'm sure between my boss and I there's gotta be a nail file and clear nail polish and lotion around here somewhere.
  • I was expecting to have a mini project to keep me busy at work today, so I did extra work earlier in the week to have time for it. And not it's not happening.  My boss said I can leave at 1:30, but I literally have nothing to do the next 20 minutes.
  • I have to go into work in an hour.  And work tomorrow until midnight, and I still have shopping to do.  I have Zero holiday inspiration.  I think it's cause H is getting new shocks and struts for his car and I'm getting new tires for mine and that blew the Chrsitmas budget all to hell so we're really not doing anything fun for each other this year. :(
  • Same thing here.
    I do have something to work on, but the creativity part of my brain is on vacation. So mostly I'm just staring at my screen with my mouth open. There might also be a little bit of drool going on.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:4543c628-2d2a-4f29-b197-11fdfde69c8f">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open. : Um, I'm pretty sure that's NOT what they mean or are insinuating.  <strong>I think most people just assume that a woman wants a daughter.</strong>
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Well then most people are idiots.

I totally get what Mel's saying. It's annoying now to get "ohhh, but don't you want kids?" just because we didn't conceive on our wedding night. It will be annoying in the future if we decide to have 1 and hear "but don't you want 2 so they can play together?" In general, I just think people are stupid and don't think and instead prefer to fill the silence with an asinine comment that is, if you think about it, kind of offensive since it insinuates that you haven't yet done it right.
  • I've been doing nothing all week.  My boss (aka my pops) has been in and out just "checking in".  I've had nothing to do.  Hate that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches

• I'm home, but can't seem to get away from TK and get what I need to accomplished.

I haven't really been in the holiday spirit either.
  • Yeah, I'd suggest at least getting those utilities turned on!!

I'm busy as shiit. But I have to take a break every now and then so I don't get into a routine and do something wrong.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:4543c628-2d2a-4f29-b197-11fdfde69c8f">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open. : Um, I'm pretty sure that's NOT what they mean or are insinuating.  I think most people just assume that a woman wants a daughter.

I think it's more that people think that people probably want at least one of each. I know lots of women who don't want daughters and would prefer sons - but it seems like a lot of people who want more than one want at least one of each. That whole variety thing I guess.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:b492e64b-0495-4b85-b9d5-ce72e003ea9c">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was expecting to have a mini project to keep me busy at work today, so I did extra work earlier in the week to have time for it. And not it's not happening.  My boss said I can leave at 1:30, but I literally have nothing to do the next 20 minutes.
    Posted by arbolita[/QUOTE]

UGH! I hate that! You work extra hard so you'll have extra time for something and then it doesn't happen and you're stuck twiddling your thumbs. Aggravating. At least you get to go home early!
  • Oh Emily, I agree with you.  Trust me, people ask us all the time when we're going to have kids and back in the day when I didn't think I wanted any, people would look at me like I had two heads if I said that.  I just thought she was exaggerating a bit and I seriously doubt that's what people mean when they ask.  Most people are good natured, they aren't trying to insult you or your kids, they're just dumb and trying to make small talk. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:aaf27cb4-af16-4c03-9f0c-d0ac0d7e0f1f">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been doing nothing all week.  My boss (aka my pops) has been in and out just "checking in".  I've had nothing to do.  Hate that.
    Posted by FutureMrsFezz[/QUOTE]

I hate when bosses "check in"...it's always when I'm not doing shiit. lol. Maybe your dad will let you out early? When I worked for my dad I totally abused the fact that I was my dad's kid lol. I'd go in and give him a big "I love you so much daddy" and then I'd ask to go home. He couldn't deny me. I'm definitely the favorite child ;-)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:4543c628-2d2a-4f29-b197-11fdfde69c8f">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open. : Um, I'm pretty sure that's NOT what they mean or are insinuating.  I think most people just assume that a woman wants a daughter.

That assumption pisses me off, too.  I understand the assumption.  People do the same to my brother (he has four daughters).  But still, I don't like it.  My kids are awesome, so comments that indicate that clearly I must want MORE irritate me.  It's like how when you get engaged and everyone wants you to set a date, then you get married and everyone wants you to have babies...it's obnoxious.  I have two kids.  The shop is closed.  Everyone I work with is aware that I don't want to have any more children, so them making comments about how I need to continue to procreate until I get that X chromosome worked out just pisses me off. 

ETA- Emily already said it better than me. 
  • For the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with women wanting daughters (I do!) or people wanting one of each or whatever. I just don't get why people feel the need to use that "oh dear" caring tone as they ask you about your reproductive choices. It's one thing to ask if someone is thinking they'd like kids because you're interested to hear their thoughts, it's another to start assuming that you know what everyone else wants and asking things based on that assumption.

It's 2010 - almost 2011! - we should know by now that people do all different things when it comes to having kids.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:aea1902e-17a0-457d-9d9a-82ce1c69de88">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Yeah, I'd suggest at least getting those utilities turned on!!</strong> I'm busy as shiit. But I have to take a break every now and then so I don't get into a routine and do something wrong.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

but that requires calling Comcast - and I'd rather stab forks in my eyes than call them. Plus the only one that HAS to be done this week has been taken care of...so if I did it it would just be pre-emptive. Screw being proactive today lol.

I'm sorry you're busy...no stressing will be allowed since you're all KU and everything lol. ;-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:3574633f-8d3a-4ce0-92b1-341a0a87f58f">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE] It's 2010 - almost 2011! - we should know by now that people do all different things when it comes to having kids.
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly. Which is why everyone around here needs to leave me alone when I say I only want one. ONE. Not two. Not four. ONE. </div>
  • I've noticed one strange thing - it always seems to be guys who ask me when we're going to have kids.  I guess men just think it's ingrained in women and that all women are just dying to get pregnant.  It's strange.
  • Ideally, I would love to have one of each. But H wants 3 or 4 kids, but I dunno if that is going to happen. Maybe we will get lucky and have twins and then be done with it. Twins run on my side of the family, my Grandpa was a twin. So if what they say is true about every other generation, then we are it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:aaf79c6e-7db0-4dbc-9dd0-4458bf722f7b">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've noticed one strange thing - it always seems to be guys who ask me when we're going to have kids.  I guess men just think it's ingrained in women and that all women are just dying to get pregnant.  It's strange.

Kinda like baby making zombies?

"MUST...USE...UTERUS..."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:b000c567-413e-4eee-ab0c-1d6049ca16f5">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open. : I hate when bosses "check in"...it's always when I'm not doing shiit. lol. Maybe your dad will let you out early? When I worked for my dad I totally abused the fact that I was my dad's kid lol. I'd go in and give him a big "I love you so much daddy" and then I'd ask to go home. He couldn't deny me. I'm definitely the favorite child ;-)
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

Yeah he does that to me a lot.  Usually I'm browsing FB.  haha
    I only work until 2 anyway.  So usually I don't get out early because it's already early when I normally leave. :)

But yes, I definitely abuse the fact that the boss is my dad.  It's terrible.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:9605da9e-b142-4a2c-926a-d20013a3e2c3">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open. : Kinda like baby making zombies? "MUST...USE...UTERUS..."

Hahaha yes, apparently so! 
  • Dani, I figured you weren't on the team "let me tell you what to do with your babies" :)

I'm not actually sure why that bothered me so much. No one has asked us about kids in a while. But oh god, the worst are the people my age (25) and younger here in Chile who're like "are you guys having kids yet?" Seriously? We got married. Nothing else changed. Still don't want kids right away. Don't look so shocked.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:df5fb240-36bf-47e0-a809-709fad9e6d1b">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open. : but that requires calling Comcast - and I'd rather stab forks in my eyes than call them. Plus the only one that HAS to be done this week has been taken care of...so if I did it it would just be pre-emptive. Screw being proactive today lol. I'm sorry you're busy...no stressing will be allowed since you're all KU and everything lol. ;-)

I hate you.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Salt I only want ONE also.  But everyone (especially my MIL) always says Nooo you can't have just oneeee.  They need a sibling.  Bah!  I want 1, FFS!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:4192227a-9ca5-454e-a771-cf3397385a25">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open. : I hate you.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

I was literally having to catch my breath from laughing so hard at that thread the other night. H was trying to fall asleep and was NOT amused. He dealt with it though.

I totally can't wait to see Tebow-baby.
  • Salt, we're the same one. One and Done.  I think my sister is an idiot for having a second kid, and Mr. Arb has three nephews who are absolutely terrible.   The youngest is a complete demon child.   They almost put me off kids completely.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-hardly-keep-eyes-open?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f0f3d6a6-db72-4342-b18d-1eaa87287d70Post:6eed348c-f107-4fda-b9fb-2ec9daf2cce5">Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can hardly keep my eyes open. : Exactly. Which is why everyone around here needs to leave me alone when I say I only want one. ONE. Not two. Not four. ONE. 
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

People are assholes about this.  We have a seven year gap between kids.  That's seven years of people telling us "Oh, but after you're gone, he'll have nobody!"  Um, seriously?  He'll probably make some friends between now and our deaths.  Maybe even be married and have his own kids.  He'll be fine.  And "Oh, but how will he socialize?"  I don't know, school?  We'll buy him a robot.  Shut up.  I had relatives celebrating like I had just split the atom when I got pregnant again.  Maybe I just have really abrasive family and coworkers and that's why I'm so jaded about this sort of thing. 
  • H really only wants one...but if it's a girl he'll want to try again for a boy "gotta carry on the name" and all that BS. Our last name is kinda ick-tastic though, so if it ends with us, I'm pretty sure that's not a bad thing. Plus, girls are cute with their daddys.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards