Registry and Gift Forum

A stranger spent $170+ buying gifts from our registry?

Hey girls,

This is really really strange. I'm registered at Macys. Today while I was updating RSVPs and my registry I noticed that someone by the name of "CHIEH C HO" bought three different gifts for us. I have no idea who this person is. We didn't invite anyone with the last name HO or CHO. We don't know anyone's name starting or ending with CHIEH. I've asked my fiance, my mom, my FMIL...etc. Everyone I can think of and have no clue who this person is.

They spent about $170 on all three gifts. Has this every happened to anyone? I'm planning on waiting to see when the gift arrives then try to figure out who it is. Who knew writing a thank you note was going to be a Mafia game? 

On the side note, I've been having a really rough time lately with moving and financial problems so maybe it's a way that god's telling me he hasn't forgotten about me ;)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A stranger spent $170+ buying gifts from our registry?

• racholasracholas member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    The question is, what is your name? You probably have a similar name to the person they're actually buying a gift for. (You can search for both your and your FIs name to figure this out.) Hopefully - for their sake - they bought in-store and will be delivering in person, otherwise the right thing to do would be to contact them (thank you note manager will have their address) and offer to ship to the correct couple.

Even if they did buy this at the store and that shipping / returning is not an issue, it's still gone from your registry. If you really want it, you may have to register for two.
  • You don't need to do anything right now, just wait and see if you get it.  Maybe someone didn't want to put their real name in/is using a friend's Macy's card to buy it/etc.  
  • I think it's interesting that you can see who the person is who bought the gifts.  I couldn't do that with our registry, nor would I want to.

There could be a very logical explanation for this - maybe it's the significant other of one of your guests, maybe it's a distant family member or close friend of one of your guests... maybe they bought the gift with their credit card because of some wierd situation.  Or maybe a stranger ended up on your registry.  Who knows?

Regardless, wait for the gifts to arrive before doing anything.
  • How are you able to see who purchased things from your Macy's registry?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited June 2012
    I still have no clue. My name is not the most common name. If I search on google, I'm the first one that pops up and there's no one else with my name. My Fiance's however has a last name Smith. Maybe that's what might be what have happened. Someone bought the wrong thing from the wrong registry. 
    I looked up, there is someone else with the name Matthew Smith marrying some also named Megan. But they are from Texas and their wedding date has passed. Not to mention neither of them have an Asian last name. My FI and I are both from California and the wedding is in CA.

I know the name listed isn't anyone we know. I don't have any distance relatives with a last name Ho. Definetely no one on my FI's side. Macys thank you note manager doesn't have addresses listed. They are probably all purchased online. ARGH

I mean, it would be very nice if it's a real present that I get to keep. haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bet they picked the wrong registry online when they purchase/ordered.  You may want to call Macy's.
  • I wouldn't call Macy's until you receive the gift in the mail- IF you receive it in the mail. They may have bought in store, in which case if it's not for you, you won't get it.

If it does come in the mail, it will probably have a gift note- see if it's actually intended for you. It might be! You never know (:
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_a-stranger-spent-170-buying-from-our-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a35594dd-d2cb-4700-8fe9-c15cf3016cb3Post:df77d5ec-7ecd-4b9c-aadf-c5c0e634a1e3">Re: A stranger spent $170+ buying gifts from our registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't call Macy's until you receive the gift in the mail- IF you receive it in the mail. They may have bought in store, in which case if it's not for you, you won't get it. If it does come in the mail, it will probably have a gift note- see if it's actually intended for you. It might be! You never know (:
    Posted by lissadelsol[/QUOTE]

<div>Hm, yeah I think I will wait and see if there's a gift note. Slightly annoying since we are mailing these to my mother's house because we are moving. I'm not confident that she knows where to look for the gift note. It may be a frustrating phone call. ("No no, now tip over the box. and take the pans out. Do you see a recipt? Yes the recipt, you know, proof of purchase. yeah it might be white....okay read it. No it has to be on there somewhere...read it to me. okay, I don't understand you mom with your accent...")</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Could it be a business name?  Frequently, business name's are so long that they get cut off, so "Ho" could really be "House of Imports," etc.  I know some of the people my mom has invited own businesses, but I'm not 100% of the names of them.

With Macy's, you can include a card with a message for free, hopefully the person did that, it won't be too hard for your mom to find.  It comes in an envelope about the size of the square folding gift tags you can get in the wrapping paper section of a store.  It's a white envelope with the red Macy's star, with a piece of cardstock with the message/name inside.   Ours have always been on the bottom of the box.

With a Macy's Registry, you can go to manage your account or registry or something and they have a thank you note manager that lists the person who purchased it, then there are two check off boxes, one for receiving the gift and one for sending a thank you note.  It's helpful, my e-party gift list was misplaced, but I was still able to see who gave me what and send thank yous quickly.  If you haven't received anything in 1-2 weeks, call Macy's and ask if it was shipped to your address on file, packages do get lost.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_a-stranger-spent-170-buying-from-our-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a35594dd-d2cb-4700-8fe9-c15cf3016cb3Post:eff4f763-50fa-498a-99ab-b50e2a28d0c1">Re: A stranger spent $170+ buying gifts from our registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A stranger spent $170+ buying gifts from our registry? : Hm, yeah I think I will wait and see if there's a gift note. Slightly annoying since we are mailing these to my mother's house because we are moving. I'm not confident that she knows where to look for the gift note. It may be a frustrating phone call. ("No no, now tip over the box. and take the pans out. Do you see a recipt? Yes the recipt, you know, proof of purchase. yeah it might be white....okay read it. No it has to be on there somewhere...read it to me. okay, I don't understand you mom with your accent...")
    Posted by megan8290[/QUOTE]

I really think you are overthinking this.  Tell your mom to be on the lookout for a box from Macys and to call you before she opens it.  You may not even recieve these packages.  The order might be cancelled.  Again - it might have a very logical explanation.  Jus relax for now.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_a-stranger-spent-170-buying-from-our-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a35594dd-d2cb-4700-8fe9-c15cf3016cb3Post:40ecb1f7-3a5d-45df-8d1a-2b0c24a044f1">Re: A stranger spent $170+ buying gifts from our registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE] With a Macy's Registry, you can go to manage your account or registry or something and they have a thank you note manager that lists the person who purchased it, then there are two check off boxes, one for receiving the gift and one for sending a thank you note.  It's helpful, my e-party gift list was misplaced, but I was still able to see who gave me what and send thank yous quickly.  If you haven't received anything in 1-2 weeks, call Macy's and ask if it was shipped to your address on file, packages do get lost.
    Posted by egm900[/QUOTE]

AHHHHH!  I wish I didn't read this, it adds a whole new level to my registry stalking!
  • Could someone have given a fake name because they didn't want you to know who got the gift.  I don't like the idea that you can seem what someone got you before you get the gift.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    No, the only way to not have a name associated with a gift is to pay with cash or a gift card. My aunt purchased gifts on behalf of herself, my other aunt, and my uncle and they all appeared under her name.  Fortunately, I remembered who gave me which item, but yes, it can add a new dimension to registry stalking.  I'm limiting myself to seeing the number of gifts left on our registry (BB&B and Macy's show this, WS I just have to have restraint).  The Thank You Manager is invaluable when a list of gifts gets misplaced.
  • Not sure what you will do or what the outcome will be... but remember the stories about random strangers paying off people's layaway items last Christmas?  Maybe that happened to you with your registry.  either way, I guess you have to just wait until you get the gift to see who got it for you, then go from there.  I am thinking a friend or family member did it as a ok!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Just wait until you get a gift from this "stranger".  You can then either thank them if it really was for you or follow up to get it to the correct person if it was a mistake.  This is what you get for stalking your registry. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards