Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding this Saturday - have question on cake cutting

How does cutting the cake go?  Does the toast come before or after we cut the cake?  Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding this Saturday - have question on cake cutting

• The wedding's i've been too.. it comes just before.
    Anniversary
  • I think it would depend on what order you're doing things.  We're cutting our's before dinner so it can be served for dessert.  I'm guessing that we'll cut the cake, then dinner will start & once everyone is seated with their food (we're doing it buffet style) the toasts will take place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, ours was a little disorganized as well. We cut the cake after dinner and I believe we did the toast right before it.
  • Our reception was cocktail style, so we did toast first and then cake cutting, with some downtime in between.  Do you have a DJ or DOC?  They'd probably be the ones organizing the timeline for you.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • We apparently did it very differently than PPs.  The toasts were immediately following the first dance, and then dinner was served.  There was maybe an hour of dancing before the cake cutting, which worked well since people were too full to eat the cake immediately after.

If you don't have a coordinator, ask someone at your vendor if they have a standard schedule that they can share with you.  They may already have a plan.  My DJ already had a schedule, and it happened to be almost identical to the one my coordinator gave me, so maybe people just do things differently in my area.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Here is my approximate timeline of how it all went down:

4:30-5 Ceremony
    5-6 Cocktials (Pics)
    6:10 Guest seated at tables
    6:15 Announcement of Newly Weds
    6:20 Toasts
    6:30 Dinner
    7:30 Cake Cutting
    7:45 first dance
    8:00 Par-tay
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-this-saturday-question-cake-cutting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:571bbf70-8eff-47ea-a5a2-0afa59699069Post:4854c8e1-5d02-4382-9263-9c370dc82fe3">Re: Wedding this Saturday - have question on cake cutting</a>:
    [QUOTE]We apparently did it very differently than PPs.  <strong>The toasts were immediately following the first dance, and then dinner was served.  There was maybe an hour of dancing before the cake cutting</strong>, which worked well since people were too full to eat the cake immediately after. If you don't have a coordinator, ask someone at your vendor if they have a standard schedule that they can share with you.  They may already have a plan.  My DJ already had a schedule, and it happened to be almost identical to the one my coordinator gave me, so maybe people just do things differently in my area.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

This is how ours was as well - and also the only way I've ever seen it done.
    imageimageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-this-saturday-question-cake-cutting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:571bbf70-8eff-47ea-a5a2-0afa59699069Post:c229c978-08ea-4b7f-81f4-d68f7304c065">Re: Wedding this Saturday - have question on cake cutting</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here is my approximate timeline of how it all went down: 4:30-5 Ceremony 5-6 Cocktials (Pics) 6:10 Guest seated at tables 6:15 Announcement of Newly Weds 6:20 Toasts 6:30 Dinner 7:30 Cake Cutting 7:45 first dance 8:00 Par-tay
    Posted by ehathewa[/QUOTE]

Other than the actual times, this is exactly the order we are planning to do things.  In general though I would do the toasts before cutting the cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2010
    we are going to do it like this:

5:00-5:30 ceremony
    5:30-6:30 cocktails( pictures)
    6:30 announcement of newly weds
    6:45 dinner
    7:30 toasts
    7:45 cake
    8:00 bouquet toss
    8:15 first dance/father, mother dance
    8:30-12am party!

Anniversary
  • Yeah, I would think your DJ or caterer will walk you through the timeline of the evening, as some PPs mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards