• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Etiquette

Addressing Save the Dates

I'm in the process of addressing my Save the Dates and I was wondering if there is a way to address them other than traditional Mr. & Mrs. John Doe?
More specifically, is there a way to include the wife's first name?
Are any of these correct?
Mr. John & Mrs. Jane Doe
Mr. & Mrs. Jane and John Doe
Mrs. Jane & Mr. John Doe
I know these look a little awkward but they are just few combinations I could come up with.
May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:Cake inspiration image

Re: Addressing Save the Dates

• Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    Actually, none of these are correct.

If you don't want to use Mr. and Mrs. John Doe, I'd use either:

John and Jane Doe

or

Ms. Jane Smith
    Mr. John Doe

if they have different last names.  Whether or not they are "traditional" should not be a factor in what you do.
  • I thought the male's name wasn't supposed to be separated from his last name? So it would be Jane and John Doe? I can't remember where I read that though. How formal do you want these to be?
  • So I googled this and found this website:
    http://www.everythinghandwritten.com/etiquette.html

Under the section Titles (3rd paragraph) it says:
    If you are addressing a married couple and want to use both of their first names, the husband’s name must be kept next to the surname, for example: Mrs. Susan and Mr. Marvin Jones or Mrs. Susan Jones and Mr. Marvin Jones.

Again, Mrs. Susan and Mr. Marvin Jones just looks awkward to me, and that's why I was asking here..... is this person just not know what their talking about?
    Thanks
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:Cake inspiration image
  • I've always heard that it's technically wrong to have Mrs. with anything but the husband's name (unless the woman is a widow) So it would be Jane Smith, but Mrs. John Smith. This has fallen out a bit, especially with the feminist movement, but it's why Mary Todd Lincoln signed her letters to aquaintences "Mrs. Abraham Lincoln"
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • I just sent mine out - and they were all sent to Mr & Mrs. Smith if they had different last names even if married they were
    Mr. John Smith
    Ms. Jane Doe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    In Response to Re: Addressing Save the Dates:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addressing Save the Dates : It should actually be 'Jane and John Doe.' 
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

Whichever.  The point is, it's not correct to use "Mrs. Susan and Mr. John."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards