Moms and Maids

Receiving Line

I’d like to have a receiving line after the ceremony, but am unsure who stands in the line and where? My fiancé’s parents are still married, however mine are bitterly divorced. I’d like to keep my mom and dad as far from each other as possible to avoid any additional drama. More complications—my dad is remarried. Does his wife stand in the receiving line? My mom HATES his wife. My step-mom and I are not close. We did not get along at all for many years, however in recent years have developed a cordial relationship, though still nowhere near close—we only speak when I see my Dad (we live in different states, so this is rare). Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

Re: Receiving Line

• AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_receiving-line?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:faf881ba-a917-4941-8780-64ec88c03dc7Post:26bb2b45-75b3-44b1-9809-c2478d6b59dc">Receiving Line</a>:
    [QUOTE]I’d like to have a receiving line after the ceremony, but am unsure who stands in the line and where? My fiancé’s parents are still married, however mine are bitterly divorced. I’d like to keep my mom and dad as far from each other as possible to avoid any additional drama. More complications—my dad is remarried. Does his wife stand in the receiving line? My mom HATES his wife. My step-mom and I are not close. We did not get along at all for many years, however in recent years have developed a cordial relationship, though still nowhere near close—we only speak when I see my Dad (we live in different states, so this is rare). Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks!!
    Posted by mcahill1[/QUOTE]

<div>I suggest skipping the receiving line if there is that much trouble with the parents. What I do recommend and seen this done many times is the Bride&Groom coming back and releasing each pew so that pretty much accomplishes meeting each guest after the ceremony (just like a receiving line). </div>
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could do table visits at the reception.  This frees up some more time for pictures, because receiving lines are long and boring.
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    edited December 2011
    We cut and served our own "cake" in place of a receiving line.  Obviously that's not going to work for everyone (actual cake is rather tricky and messy to cut, ours was just large cookies), but there are plenty of options to be able to greet your guests.  Or your receiving line can be just the two of you.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I did a recieving line . You can just have you and your FI up there or include everyone. I would just invite them up there and if they are adults they will be fine . If not they can decline .  We did the recieving line riight by the food tables so people could go   get there meal then ( we had a buffet) .
    Anniversary
  • steffenfamsteffenfam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do people even do receiving lines anymore?  As a guest, I have to say I HATE receiving lines.  It's ok if it's just the bride and groom, but awkward when I don't know most everyone else.  And they're very time consuming.  I would skip it, but try to go table to table to greet your guests.
  • edited December 2011
    just do the two of you. it's faster, less awkward, and you'll avoid family drama while being sure to greet all of your guests. 
    remember, receiving lines are used to 'receive' your guests into the reception from the ceremony. it might work better to just let everyone leave the church/ceremony and greet them as they filter into the dinner area (so people have drinks/apps).
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    edited December 2011
    I would just have the 2 of you or skip it and make sure to visit tables during dinner. We chose to have a receiving line with just the 2 of us. I think that it is a great way to make certain that we greet all of the guests-- some people leave early and I don't want to miss any. Since it will be just us, it eliminates the awkward small talk that people feel they have to make with the parents. In my mind, it shouldn't be awkward for people to say hi to the bride and groom. If they felt strange about doing that, then they shouldn't have come to our wedding. And really, they don't take that long.
    Photobucket
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A receiving line made sense with our ceremony venue. I hate when the entire WP awkwardly stands with the bride and groom, though, so we kept ours to just H and I.

We also ended up doing table visits at the reception.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards