Canada-Ontario

Venue needed on the cheap!

I just got engaged over the weekend (yay!) and we are hoping to get married this coming September/October 2013.  Because of the short engagement, I am already stressed!  I am hoping to do my whole wedding for $5000.  Photographer, cake and entertainment are covered (thank goodness for friends), but I really need to figure out the where.  Friday or Sunday is fine with us, and no sit down dinner is required.  We are fine with appetizers and cash bar.  Any suggestions for venues in Toronto to host the ceremony and reception?  The cheaper the better!
Thanks for your help!!

Re: Venue needed on the cheap!

• It depends on the look that you're going for and where you want to have it.  The first thing you want to consider - is the 5K including clothin, flowers,attendent gifts, transportation,etc.?  Or is the $5K just for the reception?

If it includes all of the above, you can definitely do it for $5K, but a lot of it will have to be DIY.   If you're able, can you provide more details as to what you're looking for?
  • I had my wedding at the Arts and Letters Club downtown
    its a BEAUTIFUL venue, and Joseph the catering manager is VERY accommodating and helpful. prices were unreal they were so good!

also Congrats and happy planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_venue-needed-on-the-cheap?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:9a889759-cd4a-4b34-9391-37be639f3003Post:870250e9-4be8-4919-9a91-00a11a6a6369">Re: Venue needed on the cheap!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on the look that you're going for and where you want to have it.  The first thing you want to consider - is the 5K including clothin, flowers,attendent gifts, transportation,etc.?  Or is the $5K just for the reception? If it includes all of the above, you can definitely do it for $5K, but a lot of it will have to be DIY.   If you're able, can you provide more details as to what you're looking for?
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

I'm talking 5K for everything.  We are very no-frills, so it will be a 10 minute ceremony in the eve followed directly by the reception (so same venue).  I will be DIY for flowers and decorations, which will be very minimal (due to budget).  I'm looking for a venue in the city of Toronto where I can do the ceremony and reception on a friday or Sunday eve.  And appetizers instead of a dinner if the budget does not allow.
  • If you are no frills check out the granite brewery pub in the yonge eglinton area. They were dirt cheap! outside wedding space, indoor seating-food available (which we tried some and it was ok, but you get what you pay for) brewery on site and you get a discount on the beer. We considered it but it was just a touch too informal for what we wanted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_venue-needed-on-the-cheap?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:9a889759-cd4a-4b34-9391-37be639f3003Post:b9c78eb3-8ec5-4e49-81b9-c930a34fdd02">Re: Venue needed on the cheap!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue needed on the cheap! : I'm talking 5K for everything.  We are very no-frills, so it will be a 10 minute ceremony in the eve followed directly by the reception (so same venue).  I will be DIY for flowers and decorations, which will be very minimal (due to budget).  I'm looking for a venue in the city of Toronto where I can do the ceremony and reception on a friday or Sunday eve.  And appetizers instead of a dinner if the budget does not allow.
    Posted by alyguy[/QUOTE]

How many guests are you looking to have?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_venue-needed-on-the-cheap?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:9a889759-cd4a-4b34-9391-37be639f3003Post:dfbe6b78-9656-45e4-b9ca-ccc75e15f31a">Re: Venue needed on the cheap!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue needed on the cheap! : How many guests are you looking to have?
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

Trying to keep it at 90.  I have a very big family!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_venue-needed-on-the-cheap?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:9a889759-cd4a-4b34-9391-37be639f3003Post:f515790f-d1d1-4ad0-a783-a9bc2e19c2bd">Re: Venue needed on the cheap!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue needed on the cheap! : Trying to keep it at 90.  I have a very big family!
    Posted by alyguy[/QUOTE]

Totally doable!  Try checking out community centres or restaurants - I know La Maquette on King & Church has the space for a ceremony and reception.  Not sure about pricing though.  I do second Granite Brewery - food and drink are relatively inexpensive and the back space for a nice ceremony.  I think there may have been a Knottie on here that had their wedding there. 

If you want more of a boutique/fun look check out the Drake Hotel or the Gladstone hotel.

If you don't want to worry about having to setting up tables and the like - restaurants or the hotels I mentioned above are the way to go.  And keep in mind, even if they send you their menus, you can likely talk to the catering manager and work out something that's in your budget.
  • Pavilion Royale (now the Grand Metropolitan of Mississauga) caters to various budgets. They do catering as well as allow outside catering.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards