Military Brides

Re: .

• ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    HOw far are you willing to travel to try it on? I know that for me to go to a mall I have to drive about an hour to get to Savannah. Are you willing to drive hour and hour half and expand your radius a bit

ETA: I see you are already married as well. 
  • You don't need a fancy store. Sometimes small stores can have the dresses you need. You need to start calling and asking. Also stores might not have the exact dress you want to try on, but something similar
  • I drove 3 hours to get my dress. But It wasn't in a fancy shop. It was actually a shop I wasn't even expecting to find anything....

Photobucket
  • So this will probably sound judge-y and ridiculous coming from someone who never posts here, but ordering a multi-thousand dollar dress for a PPD without even trying it on sounds insanely ridiculous to me. If you're looking at ~$3,000 for a Pronovias or ~$6,000 for a Claire Pettibone, are you sure you can't swing a couple hundred out of that budget to hop on a plane? Or, since you already had a wedding, you could pay down some debt? Buy a house?

Had to come out of hiding, I'm so perplexed by this...
  • Well, shows how much dress shopping I did. I didn't even know the designers or the cost of the dresses. Now I am intrigued by this. 

I would also never order a wedding dress without trying it on. Those things fit so differently than you would think. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_living-nearon-base-sucks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c03bfe61-a859-4759-816c-6799eaefdc6ePost:62e9856d-43b6-4782-ac78-57762ce3df54">Re: living near/on base sucks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, shows how much dress shopping I did. I didn't even know the designers or the cost of the dresses. Now I am intrigued by this.  I would also never order a wedding dress without trying it on. Those things fit so differently than you would think. 
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I went into dress shopping wanting an a-line lace gown...ended up with a fit&flare silk one. It was a way better choice, but I never would have picked it from a picture.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_living-nearon-base-sucks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c03bfe61-a859-4759-816c-6799eaefdc6ePost:35627465-0b60-4330-9ea7-998bdf0884bb">Re: living near/on base sucks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]So this will probably sound judge-y and ridiculous coming from someone who never posts here, but ordering a multi-thousand dollar dress for a PPD without even trying it on sounds insanely ridiculous to me. If you're looking at ~$3,000 for a Pronovias or ~$6,000 for a Claire Pettibone, are you sure you can't swing a couple hundred out of that budget to hop on a plane? Or, since you already had a wedding, you could pay down some debt? Buy a house? Had to come out of hiding, I'm so perplexed by this...
    Posted by tr9361a[/QUOTE]

<div>Stop lurking... I like the way you think.</div>
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_living-nearon-base-sucks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c03bfe61-a859-4759-816c-6799eaefdc6ePost:ced66f9a-c555-4417-b63e-b88ddae862eb">Re: living near/on base sucks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: living near/on base sucks. : Stop lurking... I like the way you think.
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

I would love to come out and play more! Most of the time I feel like everyone else has already covered what I'm thinking! I will definitely stop by more often, if only to AW my wedding pics :)
  • If you're set on a designer gown, I think that's the scenario you'll often run into. Other than friends living right in a city, I'm not sure I know many people who stroll down the street to a designer bridal shop. Make a weekend out of it with friends or your mom, or just start looking in smaller bridal shops close by. You might surprise yourself. Not to mention, looks like you have over a year until the party so I wouldn't stress yet. 
  • Your title is misleading OP, didn't realize that living on/near base=not being able to find designer dresses. Maybe your base just happens to be on a small town, either way , I don't get what the base/military has to do with you not finding your dress.  Also, if you want a dress THAT much, you would drive the 3-4 hours required for it. 
  • Also, am I the only one that didn't think this thread was going to be about shopping, but shitball neighbors or something?!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_living-nearon-base-sucks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c03bfe61-a859-4759-816c-6799eaefdc6ePost:dfd74009-1844-4f79-9be8-e97ff8a6c1e6">Re: living near/on base sucks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, am I the only one that didn't think this thread was going to be about shopping, but shitball neighbors or something?!
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

<div>Hence why I said misleading titles. I was surprised to find out it was about dresses! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_living-nearon-base-sucks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c03bfe61-a859-4759-816c-6799eaefdc6ePost:dfd74009-1844-4f79-9be8-e97ff8a6c1e6">Re: living near/on base sucks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, am I the only one that didn't think this thread was going to be about shopping, but shitball neighbors or something?!
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha.. I thought the same thing, but I thought it was going to be complaining about how she couldn't on base because she wasn't a dependent. </div>
    Photobucket
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    Yeah I still wouldn't buy a wedding dress without trying it on. Have you tried on any dresses yet? They totally do fit different than you would think. 
  • Just go to New Orleans if you're looking for those kinds of dresses (I love Claire Pettibone, btw, but they were waaaaay out of my budget, and my favorite (over budget) gown I tried on was a Pronovias). Anywhere you live around there you're going to drive and there's absolutely no way I'd buy anything that expensive without trying it on. Plus, it's not a bad drive. I mean, leave home at 7am, get there and be their first appointment of the day, maybe hit one more store, have lunch, and you'd be back by dinnertime. You could probably squeeze in 3 shops if you wanted. 

I know girls in MS who travel all over the south to find dresses. There's a place in Arkansas that's really popular. There's also a really fantastic shop in Brookhaven, MS, but that's probably even farther for you. 

Also, you say you found these dresses online for cheap. Unless you went to a reputable pre-owned site, or somewhere like Pearl's Place (great discounts, actually their brick and mortar store is in New Orleans, try it) that is licensed to sell these gowns, you may end up with a Chinese knock-off. And there's no guarantee how that will turn out. Go hang out on the A&A board and you'll hear lots of horror stories. 
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    As someone who bought a Pronovias gown (and no, they're not all $3000 - mine was about half that), I would NEVER buy one without trying it on first!  If it's a 3 hour drive, grab a friend and make a trip.  You don't need a huge store - just call and ask any bridal salon if they carry Pronovias and Clair Pettibone.  Then ask if they have the specific dress.  If they do, it doesn't matter if they're big or small, fancy or not - just go try on the dress!

If no one within a day trip has those dresses, I would at least go to any old store and try on similar style dresses to make sure you like the way they fall on your body.  I swore up and down I wanted a full lace gown, very form fitting, with a keyhole back and lace cap sleeves... when I tried it on, it just wasn't me.  It doesn't matter who the designer was, that style dress just didn't work on my body type.  When I tried on a different gown that was very similar to what I now have from Pronovias, I absolutely loved it - it wasn't quite right, there were a few things I would have wanted to fix, but I knew the style of dress looked fabulous on me.  So I knew that I would love the Pronovias gown before I put it on.

Which dress are you looking for?  What size?

Oh, and your guests will know you guys are already married, right?

Anniversary

• I was a little confused about the title as well. 

I do want to add like some of other ladies did that I would be very nervous to order a dress that I have not even tried on.  I thought I wanted one kind of dress (even picked out pictures of what I wanted) but when I went to try on that type of dress I made me look like a linebacker. I was so against strapless since I am top heavy but to my surprise those looked the best on me. 

Good luck dress shopping.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_living-nearon-base-sucks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c03bfe61-a859-4759-816c-6799eaefdc6ePost:849c780d-d2cd-4d37-92c0-aafa7a480c02">Re: living near/on base sucks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Oh, and your guests will know you guys are already married, right?
    </strong>Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this.
  • So the delete was because we questioned you??? Nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards