Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Frosting vs. Fondant

I'm just starting to look at bakeries for our wedding cake, and am seeing that a lot of places do either frosting or fondant icing. I am a Food Network nerd so I know how gorgeous fondant can be, but I'm also reading that it's bland and a lot of guests end up leaving it behind-- and I'd rather eat cake than look at it! Has anyone had good or bad experiences with fondant? Can regular frosting be just as pretty?
Anniversary

Re: Frosting vs. Fondant

• edited December 2011
    Regular frosting CAN be just as pretty.

I think fondant is beautiful too - but it downright sucks, and it jacks the price up significantly.

The lady i've booked to make our cake smooths her icing so much so that from a distance it appears to be fondant and (a foodnetwork junkie myself, also) no one in my family would really know the difference.

I am not paying for food people wont eat so I vote no fondant.
  • edited December 2011
    Personally I really don't like fondant.  I've had it at a couple of weddings and I tasted a small piece and peeled the rest off and left it on the plate.  I would definitely save yourself the money and go for just buttercream frosting.  My brother did that for his wedding and his cake looked great and it tasted much better than the fondant cakes I've had.  
  • Piston89Piston89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely agree, fondant tastes like garbage, however, my cake will be upstairs...and with no air conditioning...so, from what I understand, fondant will hold up better the heat.
  • MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMHO.. Depends on looks v. taste. I think fondant looks better but frosting tastes better. I'm going with buttercream frosting because I think it is still really pretty and it tastes just so much better
  • rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fondant although very pretty is super sweet not bland and does not taste very good. But those with a sweet tooth tend to really like it. 

If your having a out door wedding or the room is not air conditioned I would think about doing the fondant.Fondant is like an insulator and will keep your buttercream cold and firm and keeping the cake stable. 

I would talk to your baker about what they think based on your design and location of the reception. I recently made a cake for an outdoor summer wedding and they wanted a buttercream only cake. If I wasnt invited to the wedding I would have said no, but I was so I agreed to do buttercream only because I was there to be able to keep an eye on it and had my emergency cake kit to fix it if it started to fall and sag. Ive also made cakes that would have been impossible to do in buttercream and were only doable in fondant.
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We had buttercream frosting. Our cake was beautiful and the frosting was delicious. The cake was refrigerated until just before the wedding started and it held up well in the 70 degree weather. Any warmer and it would have had to remain refrigerated until an hour before it was going to be served.

• blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually love the taste of fondant. I realize that many, if not most, don't like it or aren't familiar with it. (the taste anyway)  I am going with buttercream frosting instead.
  • edited December 2011
    I prefer frosting over fondant!
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • mpatt2122mpatt2122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the taste of frosting over fondant but I like the way fondant looks. My MIL is a baker and she is making our cake. She will use a marshmallow fondant with buttercream frosting underneath.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Frosting! Most skilled bakers can make frosting look just as good as fondant these days.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer the taste of frosting over fondant by far.  However, if you find a great bakery they can make frosting look as clean as fondant.

I will warn you, if it will be hot the day of, frosting will be a much better choice if you want to leave your cake out the entire time.  Fondant likes to melt when it gets too warm and it will fall off the cake.
  • edited December 2011
    I had no idea they could make buttercream look as smooth and pretty as fondant.  I got fondant and it's one of the few things I would go back and change if I could.  The cake was still delicious regardless, but it would have been cheaper and even more delicious with buttercream. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_frosting-vs-fondant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:2aba65bc-7007-4712-9f3c-c8ddf09bb6a2Post:e4de192b-63cf-460c-a02a-b7d5de8bc424">Re: Frosting vs. Fondant</a>:
    [QUOTE]Regular frosting CAN be just as pretty. I think fondant is beautiful too - but it downright sucks, and it jacks the price up significantly. The lady i've booked to make our cake smooths her icing so much so that from a distance it appears to be fondant and (a foodnetwork junkie myself, also) no one in my family would really know the difference. I am not paying for food people wont eat so I vote no fondant.
    Posted by Amandarose531[/QUOTE]
    I second this!
    My cake person sounds just the same!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Not all fondant is created equal.  Some should not even be considered food, while others taste really good.  Ask each of the bakeries you try to sample a bit of the fondant they use.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another vote for frosting! If you find a good baker, they'll be able to make frosting look just as pretty, plus it'll taste MUCH better.
  • edited December 2011
    ditto the frosting votes.  not just for taste though.  for me it's a texture thing.  the fondant i've had has always been chewy.  
  • edited December 2011
    I was looking at cake pictures on theknot just this morning, and couldn't always tell the difference between fondant and buttercream. I'm in the hate-fondant camp.

Order what you like to eat and what you can afford.
  • edited December 2011
    As a trained pastry chef, I will agree that not all fondant is created equal. It can be flavored with extracts and other ingredients. Keep in mind some may change the color slightly. Marshmallow, Almond, Peppermint, Butter, Chocolate and things like that are options. White Chocolate or a coffee flavor too. Obviously the darker the flavor, the darker the fondant. Fondant is easily manipulated, but  so is chocolate clay. Both can accomplish the same thing. I would explore options.
    I personally am having Almond Buttercream with White Chocolate clay for decor. You can eat everything on the cake. And, items can be airbrushed. The more intricate and detailed, the more your bill could climb though.
    Just try everything!
  • edited December 2011
    I pick frosting!  I don't like fondant at all, and it's much more expensive.  Our cake is 4 tiers and to do fondant would have almost doubled the price of the cake.
  • edited December 2011
    Go with the frosting!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I vote frosting as well! Any fondant I've had has not been good and I took it off the cake when I ate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards