Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Name Change

For those that are already married, did you change your name.  If so, how did you go about it.

I know a few of my married friends have kept their last names while others have changed it to their husband's name.  I don't have a preference but the thought of changing my name is a bit daunting.  Is it easier than I'm thinking it will be.

Re: Name Change

• edited December 2011
    I just took my marriage license to the social security office and they changed it, then I took that info to the DMV to change my drivers license.  I did it about two weeks after I got married. My maiden name was Smith, so I was glad to be rid of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    SS office and then DMV- both pretty easier. The more tedious stuff was all the credit cards and other accounts. Pretty easy to legally change your name at the SS office though.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

I did DMV then SS.  And ditto Jess--it's everything else that's a pain.  I'm still changing stuff 3 months later.

• edited December 2011
    Two of my friends that got married last year used http://www.missnowmrs.com Not sure if that is easier then the other way, but it's worth looking into :)
  • mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's really easy. If it's something you want to do, don't be overwhelmed. It just takes time to get everything else done. The worst for me was my passport, but only because I had to just get it renewed and I was irritated because it was good for one more year. I hate spending money I don't have to. The SS office and DMV are easy. I don't have a ton of accounts so it was pretty simple to get the bank and cc's taken care of. For the passport, you can do it via mail as long as you already have one. It required a few errands (picture, etc), but it wasn't too bad.
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
  • TCUESW1999TCUESW1999 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I changed my last name to my husbands.  I went to the DMV, got my drivers license and then went to the SS office and got that done....and that is it.  It's been 4 months and I haven't changed anything else yet, it just takes time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards