Louisiana-New Orleans

Florists?!?

Anyone have any good florist recommendations?  I seem to be semi-splurging on a LOT of other things, so I really want to keep the floral budget in-check.  Also, I have no idea how much a florist typically costs!  I'm having a fairly large wedding, but a small wedding party (3 girls)...and we'll do some minimal floral centerpieces but definitely not on every table.  How much is a reasonable amount to spend on flowers?  I know that this varies a LOT depending on the flowers you choose and season, etc...

Re: Florists?!?

• edited December 2011
    I haven't really gotten into florists yet, but I'm with you--I have zero budget for flowers. I'd rather have wedding guests ;) To save money, we're skipping floral centerpieces all together. Our reception is at Rosy's, so it's already beautiful--doesn't need a whole lot of jazzing up. We're going to do simple candle arrangements on each table.
  • lbmsrlotrlbmsrlotr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Because of the rave reviews I read on this wedding board, I'm using Christina O'Malley from For Unique Floral Designs. She works out of her house & her email is christinaomalley@cox.net. She'll give u a "floral questionaire" so she has an idea of ur needs. Before u meet with her, have a list of flowers u like. I looked at the bouquets shown on The Knot & wrote down the flower names. Within 24 hrs of my appt with her, she sent me a proposal that included anywhere from 2-7 options available for each of my floral needs (i.e. bouts, corsages, etc) & the prices for each option. She is EXTREMELY reasonably priced, very nice & very willing to work with u. Although my wedding isn't until next year (so I can't comment on the actual work outside of her portfolio pics), I still highly recommend her. She told me that she is going to be very busy with weddings in October, so be patient waiting for a reply email/appt with her.

Below are the prices she gave me:

Bridal bouquet: 4 options; $100-$160
    Bridesmaid bouquet: 3 options; $45-$55
    Bouts: 5 options; $5.50-$20
    Mom's corsages: 5 options; $15-$25
    Altar arrangements: 2 options; $100-$150
    Reception centerpieces: 2 options; $15-$25
    Cake topper: 1 option; $35
    Church pews: 1 option; $12.50
    Delivery: 3 sites (bride's home, church, reception) $135

Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK! Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Meade Wenzel and she is great. She actually asked me what I wanted to spend and is working around that. I'm spending around $2200 but I have 7 bridesmaids, 1 junior, 3 flowers girls, 5 table centerpieces, 4 wreaths, buffet table and two alter arrangements plus the guys, 3 readers, 2 giftbears, 2 program attendants and 4 grandmothers and moms. Oh my lord that sounds like a circus. She is also providing 10 6ft tall candelabras down the aisle and some smaller ones around the reception venue. Now that I look at it all I'm getting a good price I think. Hope that helps. 
  • edited December 2011
    IFlowers were not a priority for me as well. I am using a lady who works out of her home in Ponchatoula but has worked as a florist for many many years at a business. She has done all my friends weddings and is really reasonable. I am not doing any center pieces but i am having two arrangements at the church. With the all the bouquets (i am having 7 bridesmaids), boutineers (sp), corsages (sp), flowers for the cake table and the 2 arrangements for the church she is charging me $500 and that is with travel fees to new orleans. If you want her contact info let me know. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am also using Christina O'Malley based on recommendations from this board and other people.  She has been super nice and responsive, and totally willing to work within my budget - and also very patient with me flip-flopping a couple of times about the budget.  She seems very creative and has come up with a ton of suggestions for saving money so we can still have the look I want without breaking the bank.  I feel very comfortable with the decision I made to go with her. 
  • edited December 2011
    Using Hawkins Florist. Really working with me. $85 bouquet for me and $25 for bridesmaids :) 
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much...this is really helpful, with price ranges and everything!!  I seriously don't know what I would do without this board for planning!!  :)
  • amydave2011amydave2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't find Hawkins Florists.  Is it possibly Harkins Florists?

Thanks!
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Karen Dauterive and Jessica DeFraites in Chalmette who will work with any budget. They did my sister's wedding (which was their first and bartended it b/c it was in the sticks and was a dry parish) and will be doing mine and has done a lot since.

Ladybug's Garden and Gifts
    504-281-2215

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Chalmette-LA/The-Ladybugs-Garden-and-Gifts/81885991085?v=info&ref=ts
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• thielemmthielemm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Fat Cats and Diane is awesome so far!
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does Meade Wenzel have a website or email?  How can I get in touch with her?  I'm also inquiring with Christina O'Malley and Fat Cats (their site has some great pics!).  Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards