Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

including kids in ceremony

My Fiance and I both have kids from previous marriges and would like to include them in the ceremony.  We want to give them special gifts to keep. We have what we want for the girls but for my son who is 8 yrs old we have no clue what can we do for him.  We are getting engraved jewelry for the girls but he doesnt like jewelry at all.

please help, suggestions?????

Re: including kids in ceremony

• I'm normally not a fan of keepsake gifts that aren't something they would enjoy other than to collect dust in a jewelry box or on a shelf. Wouldn't he much prefer something he's into now (toy, game, Ipod, etc) versus a keepsake?
    Though if you are dead-set on something comparable to what you're getting the daughters...

Perhaps an heirloom quality leather-bound book or Bible with a special inscription/dedication? A watch (that he can grow into) with an engraving?
  • This isn't something you should do DURING the ceremony. Your kids, while involved in your marriage, should not be part of the actual ceremony of binding you and your FI together. Give them gifts before. 
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Ditto misssunshine.  A wedding is between two consenting adults.  If you want to give something to the kids to commemorate the day, do it privately.  It has nothing to do with your wedding ceremony.

ETA:  Just noticed you want to include them in the ceremony.  Please don't.  They aren't the ones getting married, just you and your FI. 
  • I agree with pps.

Before or after the ceremony would be a great time to give them a little gift, but during the ceremony is awful timing. You're not marrying them, lol.

All the 8 year olds I know likes star wars (clone wars), video games, legos, and really loud music. What is your son into?
  • I agree with PP.  Give them gifts at their own special moment with you two, NOT in the middle of the ceremony.
    Depending on what your son is into -- i agree with the watch idea, or maybe a pin or tie tack or something that he can use when he's dressed up.  that or some sort of engraved trinket -- piggy bank, 'stuff' box, etc.

Truthfully, the only thing i would do with them during the ceremony is have them be 'seated' before your entrance....like you would do your mothers.  have them sit up front, and maybe give each one a rose to hold so that they can feel part of the 'special guests'.
  • What a great idea! I have to disagree with the others who advise against including your kids in the ceremony. My stepdad and mom gave my brother, sister, and I engraved jewelry during their ceremony and it was so special to us! It's something I'll always remember. If it's something you want to do, go for it! As for your son, maybe you could get him something sports relayed if he's a fan, like an autographed baseball or football jersey. Good luck!
  • Do your kids actually even want to be in the ceremony?

If they don't, please don't pressure them.  Kids with separated parents often have some very strong feelings about their parents' remarriages-and they're not always going to be smiley-faced about it. 

And even if they do want to be in the ceremony, just have them as bridesmaids and groomsman, or flower girls and ring bearer, take some special pictures, and let it go at that.   Weddings are about the bride and groom.  Children are family members, but really shouldn't be stars of the show.
  • I think it is a great idea.  We are doing a sand ceremony.  We are also giving each of the ghirls a necklace (Family Tree) as we do the sand ceremony.  The Sand Ceremony follows the ceremony.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards