Iowa-Des Moines

wedding invitations

I'm trying to save money on invitations by keeping them very simple.  Traditionally you are supposed to have an outer and inner envelope.   I intend to only use one.  Also, I plan to use printed guest address labels.  Are these major faux pas?  I want to save money on this, but I don't want to come across as being lazy or cheap.  I'm curious to know what people think about this.  Thanks for any advice anyone can give me!

Re: wedding invitations

• edited December 2011
    I don't know about the printed labels...I am not an ettiquett guru but I am only having one envelope also!
  • edited December 2011
    I am only use one envelope as well....I would say no to using printed labels though.  From what I have read on etiquette it is less personal, but in reality it is your wedding so you can do whatever you want.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've read that it's okay to print instead of handwrite, even though that makes it less personal as long as they are not stick-on labels. It should be printed directly on the envelope, otherwise it is considered bad taste because it is reminiscent of junk mail. The same goes for your address on the envelopes - it should be printed too, no ready labels.

By the way, where would be the best place to buy materials for making invitations and other cards? The only store I can think of is Hobby Lobby, but it is kind of expensive.
  • edited December 2011

timanddani- you could either keep your eyes open for a sale at Hobby Lobby (which seems to happen frequently) or you could watch for a sale at Michaels.

• edited December 2011
    i'm having one envelope. putting the directions to our farm, where we're registered at, and how to RSVP (FYI- they're options are by phone or e-mail, which saves on postage) on the backside of the invitation. we will also have return address labels printed, the guest's address hadwritten, and i'm printing the invitations on my computer, which i've created myself. u can use etiqutte if u want, but i'd say use ur best judgment and do what u can afford to do.
  • edited December 2011
    One envelope is fine. However, printed address labels are not. They're tacky, impersonal, and they make you look a bit lazy. However, if you insist, I would suggest printing directly onto the envelope. 
    ?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Also, doing them by hand is the cheaper option anyway if you want to save money. The stick one address labels are about $20-30, I believe.
    ?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • EJPintEJPint member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a note about what to include in them - someone mentioned including their registry information, this should never be included in a wedding invitation - only by word of mouth, in shower invites or on a website.  Any mention of gifts is considered in poor taste.

I had read the same - could be ok to have addresses printed directly on the envelope, but it's greatly preferred to hand write.  You could compromise and print the return address on the back envelope flap, and then hand write the "to" address on the front.  Enlist help from friends/relatives with good handwriting. 

I made my invitations (never again, btw, would rather have spent another $100 to just order them online), and am in the process of hand addressing.  Good luck!
    Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • EJPintEJPint member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and a little aside about the inner envelope - it stems from Victorian times when invitations were carried by hand through muddy streets.  The outer envelope would get dirty, so when the butler accepted the invitation, he would remove it, carrying the pristine, white, inner envelope to the lady of the house on a silver tray.

That in mind, the inner envelope is really not necessary for a modern wedding unless you are having a very formal, traditional event. 
    Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • edited December 2011
    This is so good to know...about how much ARE invitations if you order them online? I mean, I know there is a variation of prices, but what is the general range?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards