Illinois-Chicago

Brides maids dresses

I am struggling with my bridesmaid’s dresses.  From the beginning I have been saying, wear what you want as long as it is royal blue and a barijay dress.   My bridesmaids have decided they all want the same dress BUT they are all different shapes and sizes.  The dress they chose will not flatter all of them.  I want them to all wear different dresses and to choose what will look good on them individually.  Has anyone done this?  Do they all wear long? Can some wear a long dress and some wear a short dress? Does the dress have to be the same material? HELP!

Re: Brides maids dresses

• edited December 2011
    The nice thing about being a bride is, you can do whatever you want. I'm a second time around bride and have done this both times. The first time, I chose the designer and color and my bridesmaids each picked out different dresses. This time, I chose a designer and color and my bridesmaids each chose a different dress. The funny thing, though, is that they all ended up being different fabrics too. I think it is going to look lovely though. Also, there was one dress that they all liked and said that they would each be willing to wear if need be. 

Do what you want. Start looking for ideas. There are plenty of ideas if you google different bridesmaid dresses. I have also heard it is not uncommon for bridesmaids to choose the same style when given a choice. 

Have you gone with your bridesmaids to try on the dress? Did they look good in the dress? If they are comfortable with it, then by all means let them wear it. Otherwise, I would give them a couple of different options to choose from and let them know that you really want them in different dresses. 

• edited December 2011
    Give them a designer (which you did) and a color (which you did) and let them go from there. They are grown girls and can pick which ever dress they feel comfortable in.

Many brides do this, that way, each girl can pick the style they are most comfortable in. I did this as well. The girls appreciated it b/c they weren't all forced to wear the same style (although some picked the same style!). They can wear long, short, whatever.

I don't know about the material. I'm sure it doesn't matter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_brides-maids-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:ac22c1cc-3f91-4f7a-8875-a7ae3538facaPost:7265fa4b-21da-472c-8af4-62bf573d45be">Re: Brides maids dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Give them a designer (which you did) and a color (which you did) and let them go from there. They are grown girls and can pick which ever dress they feel comfortable in. Many brides do this, that way, each girl can pick the style they are most comfortable in. I did this as well. The girls appreciated it b/c they weren't all forced to wear the same style (although some picked the same style!). They can wear long, short, whatever. I don't know about the material. I'm sure it doesn't matter.
    Posted by hboo2011[/QUOTE]
    Totally agree with this.  I thought I was doing them a favor saying cocktail and black.  That way if they had a black dress they already loved, there would be no cost for the dress.  I found this freaked them out as they didn't want to upset me if they chose wrong.  I could care less on material, etc. but wanted to make it easier.  So I chose 5 dresses at DB that were all different styles that they could go in and pick.
    Biorama
    September 2012 August Siggy Challenge ~ Wedding Preview
    185 image 116 image 69 image 0 image RSVP Date: August 10
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, if they are all in agreement on it, then they must all be comfortable with the dress and the way it will look on them.  If that's the case, then let them all wear the same dress and be done with it. 

I took the perspective of, not my dress, not my body...so I told them all just to wear a black dress, like PP.  My bridesmaids also freaked and decided they'd all get J.Crew dresses, so that's what they did...except the one bridesmaid who went rogue and is wearing a dress from  a different store.  I just think it's not that big a deal, and I'm not the one wearing the dress, so I didn't get too stressed about the length, material, etc.

I say you just "let" them wear the dress they've agreed on...unless I'm not understanding what you wrote in your OP.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_brides-maids-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:ac22c1cc-3f91-4f7a-8875-a7ae3538facaPost:17a6763e-7236-4216-a302-33658d251675">Brides maids dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE] My bridesmaids have decided they all want the same dress BUT they are all different shapes and sizes.   The dress they chose will not flatter all of them.   I want them to all wear different dresses and to choose what will look good on them individually.  Posted by devi126[/QUOTE]

Wow, you want to choose what looks flattering on them???? Don't you think your bridesmaids are adult enough to know what looks best on their own individual bodies? the dress you think might look flattering on them, might be a dress they are not comfortable wearing. You gave them a color and a designer. If it was important you you to have them all wear different dresses, did you tell them that detail before they all went shopping? IMO, I would let them all wear the dress they selected.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards